Livingston - all the threads merged

Just now, Cptn Hooch said:
1 minute ago, ATLIS said:
How good is Sibbald btw? Absolutely mental how he’s managed to come back an even better player

Shite at penalties but

Should never go near one in his life again :D 

Sibbald was a stand out, what a player.

Odin looked good, looked like he was desperate to score, but good to see a player taking shots at goal.

Thought Harrison was linking up well with Hammy, the brief spell he was on, maybe needs to settle a bit but understandable be over keen on his debut.

Forrest looked pretty decent too, vintage Forrest cutting inside and scoring. And good to see Stryjek bouncing back with a vegence, some cracking saves today.

Dunno how the f**k we're still in this cup, shitfesting our way through the group stages and winning a penalty shoot out, but i'm enjoying it immensely. We're on our way.................................................

Bringing Kelly on really seemed to upset the balance of the defence. Obeleye and Fitzwater seemed to work well together but bringing another central defender on to allow Devlin to push more into midfield; really didn't seem to work.

Finally I dont think Devlin should be captain; it seems to take his concentration away from defending and repeatedly pulls him out of position. Personally I would think Holt was a far better choice

Both Forrest and Sibbald were brilliant today. Sibbald was a class above everyone else on the park to be honest. 

Max was excellent as well. Showed a lot of character to bounce back from last week. 

Really impressed with Hamilton's development. He's an effective target man and will create chances for others. Hopefully he'll start to pitch in with a few goals himself as well. Would love to see him start alongside Anderson. 

Unfortunately, I am still not convinced by our defence. St Mirren were gifted lots of opportunities today and should have buried at least one of the ones they missed. Also the defending for their equaliser was horrific. Kelly was particularly unsteady when he came on and does not look comfortable at all at this level. Early days but work to be done. 

Edited by hoobahabba

Bringing Harrison Panayiotou in seems to have been more related to the current substitution rules rather than any strategic of fitness issues.

With the rules that you can only have three stops in the first 90 minutes; it was evidentially Martindale's choice to bring him on at the same time as Hamilton rather than waiting to the end of the game when he was already wanting to bring on Shinnie. for the last 10 minutes. 

Devlin is the new captain and has signed a 1 year extension to 2023.

Wasn't his biggest fan last year but I feel like he may be someone who actually improves with the responsibility, contrary to a comment I saw earlier in the thread. Best of luck to him.

I generally feel forwards; goalkeepers and fullback don't make the best captains as the role invariably pulls them continually out of position.

There are always exception but all other things being equal, I prefer to see midfielders or central defence fulfil the role; they're best located to provide encouragement and support.

Joel putting Arbroath 1-0 up.:bounce2

Think Celtic will pump Hearts at home D. Always got a chance against them when they play away though, so would still fancy us in a home game against them.

Obv Raith at home would be a great draw for us, with our record against them in cups at home, not having lost any, and even beating them in pens last time. If Arbroath got through and drawn against us it would be a shame for them, as Clark and Nouble wouldn't be allowed to play.

Someone on the Facebook group said they spoke to Panayiotou after the game. Said he understands that subbing him on was a tactical mistake and accepts the decision. Also said he can't wait to show the fans what he's all about. He confirmed he wasn't injured as well.

Seems it's all sorted now and no lingering ill will over the issue. He gets what happened and has took it on the chin. Good to see he hasn't stormed out the stadium and went away home like some would have...

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Someone on the Facebook group said they spoke to Panayiotou after the game. Said he understands that subbing him on was a tactical mistake and accepts the decision. Also said he can't wait to show the fans what he's all about. He confirmed he wasn't injured as well.

Seems it's all sorted now and no lingering ill will over the issue. He gets what happened and has took it on the chin. Good to see he hasn't stormed out the stadium and went away home like some would have...

*cough cough Robbo*