Livingston - all the threads merged

5 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

Davie has said on more than one occasion that there will be no more players in unless someone leaves.
I dont get why people are still thinking that we are going to sign anyone else.

He's said we wont bring anyone in unless something special comes up. In the past that's meant the likes of Stokes etc, I'd also hazard a guess that it means that a good loan player could be included in that bracket. Not sure he mentioned anything about anyone leaving though

41 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

Don't think I will be paying much attention this season.  Just wait for next season's promotion push.

Zero goal threat.  Pumping balls up to Anderson 😱

Really dire stuff.

Hamilton did well after just coming on, to hold off a Sevco player, turn and get a shot off, could've been interesting if Kabia hadn't been injured. I'll judge our goal threat when we aren't playing the best team in the Country at Ibrox.

Same defensively, against the other 10 fellow diddies is where we'll see if we're as bad as in the cup games, or have improved any. When it'll be a more expansive game. Actually don't feel as negative now, another tough game up next against the sheep, but at home we'll have a decent chance to get the 3 points.

5 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Hamilton did well after just coming on, to hold off a Sevco player, turn and get a shot off, could've been interesting if Kabia hadn't been injured. I'll judge our goal threat when we aren't playing the best team in the Country at Ibrox.

Same defensively, against the other 10 fellow diddies is where we'll see if we're as bad as in the cup games, or have improved any. When it'll be a more expansive game. Actually don't feel as negative now, another tough game up next against the sheep, but at home we'll have a decent chance to get the 3 points.

For me there has just been a drip, drip of decent players leaving over the past couple of years without any quality coming in.  I think we are going to pay the price for it this season.

11 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

For me there has just been a drip, drip of decent players leaving over the past couple of years without any quality coming in.  I think we are going to pay the price for it this season.

We coped brilliantly when Halkett and Gallagher left though, same with Dykes and Lawless, back to back top 6 finishes, so don't really see where the drip, drip of quality players leaving affected us the last 2 seasons. Even did well with the managers coming and going, Hoppy and Holt leaving didn't affect us at all.  Big turnover this season right enough, it'll take us several games to get fully up to speed

Actually I seem to be in the minority as I didn't feel we did that badly yesterday.

Firstly we were up against the in-form team but basically kept them pretty much under control for about 75 minutes. I was really only after we went down to 10 men that we really started to lose it. 

For the first goal we had more than enough players back to defend but didn't close them down quickly enough; that is something the management can work on. Personally I would be more worried if we had defenders posted missing as we had repeatedly last season.

Our attacking threat was pretty poor if I'm honest. Anderson did what he could but he needs to work as part of a partnership. He was too easily marshalled out of the game, with any high balls persistently being handled by their giant defenders and him being bear hugged whenever the ball came near. Maybe with a proper striker playing along side him; he'll get more joy.

Wasnt particularly impressed with Forest playing on the right side; obviously this was brought about by sickness and isolation restrictions.

I was worried that we managed to pick up five yellow cards in our first game of the season - admittedly that was from Beaton so maybe I'm more happy that we didn't receive any red cards as he tries to get back into Gerard's good books. 😬

16 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Actually I seem to be in the minority as I didn't feel we did that badly yesterday.

Yep, I feel the same. We looked pretty comfortable until Kabia went off and we were down to 10 men. Given the defensive clown show in the last game I watched against Alloa, this was a welcome surprise. 

I don't like to write games off but that was a shocker of a first game for us. The three home games coming up will give me a better idea of whether to panic.

41 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Firstly we were up against the in-form team but basically kept them pretty much under control for about 75 minutes. I was really only after we went down to 10 men that we really started to lose it. 

For the first goal we had more than enough players back to defend but didn't close them down quickly enough; that is something the management can work on. Personally I would be more worried if we had defenders posted missing as we had repeatedly last season.

Our attacking threat was pretty poor if I'm honest. Anderson did what he could but he needs to work as part of a partnership. He was too easily marshalled out of the game, with any high balls persistently being handled by their giant defenders and him being bear hugged whenever the ball came near. Maybe with a proper striker playing along side him; he'll get more joy.

Wasnt particularly impressed with Forest playing on the right side; obviously this was brought about by sickness and isolation restrictions.

I was worried that we managed to pick up five yellow cards in our first game of the season - admittedly that was from Beaton so maybe I'm more happy that we didn't receive any red cards as he tries to get back into Gerard's good books. 😬

Thing that folk forget, or don't realize, we didn't score a goal in four games last season against Sevco, yet finished top 6 and in a cup final, games against Sevco aren't where we'll need to get points to do well in the league. As you say, for a large part of the game we kept it tight and looked pretty good. No reason to feel we couldn't get another 0-0 against them at home this season either. Or maybe even go one better and nick a win by scoring a goal this season.

Forrest's booking was a joke, so was Sibbald's really, Forrest won the ball and didn't touch their player, and Sibbald 's attempt to trip Kent missed completely, so he was booked for not being very good at trying to trip Kent up. Yet Kabia got injured from a dangerous tackle and no booking, same with Lewis getting barged late and picking up an injury, Beaton had his blue blinkers on for those incidents.

34 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Agreed to an extent. It was always going to be a huge ask to get anything from the game with a full squad who have had a full preseason but with us missing a lot of key players and many more still not fully fit it was made even tougher. I would have liked us to offer a bit more going forward but all things considered I can't complain.

Away from home last season we lost 2-0 and 3-0 at Ibrox, at home we drew 0-0 and lost 0-1 in the 87th min, we kept it pretty tight till Kabia got injured, so it still looks like we could give then difficult games at home and maybe nick a point or even 3 from them this season. We always seem to frustrate them enough to give ourselves a chance at home.

Still not sure how we'll do defensively against the other teams when we'll have more possession to attack, and will be spread our more at the back. Esp if our FB's will be up the pitch leaving our CB's and holding mids to deal with ball over the top, and strikers counter attacking on us. That's where we looked shaky in the cup games. Guess we'll find out against Aberdeen though, hopefully we've improved a good bit from those cup games.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

So in short, we're no worse off than last season and half the fanbase are being torn faced wee greeting fannies. 

Yep.😂

TBF that same half was prob shouting for Martindale to be sacked when we were sitting 5th last season, and finished 6th, so at least they're consistent.

Aye Mackin is just what we need in the Premiership, bloody hell.😂

Jack Hamilton is miles better than Mackin, don't want to ever see Mackin back playing for Livi, he's too slow and lazy for a start, and would make JET look like a greyhound in comparision.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I thought we did ok on Saturday, not too disheartened.

1st goal obviously a defensive error and Max has less chance to save it after the deflection. Hopefully Penrice learns from the experience.

I expected Rangers to have a lot of the ball but for all that I don’t think Max has a particularly busy afternoon. The number of shots he had to deal with might very well be replicated against teams that aren’t newly crowned Champs. 

Wright’s strike was terrific for the second but disappointing again that it fell to him in the box for a free hit. Didn’t look to me like Tavernier knew where it was going. 

3rd goal was almost same again with the ball landing favourably for a Rangers player.

We offered very little in attack which was both unsurprising for this fixture and likely to be repeated by other teams this season. Our defence was better than I expected with the goals all clinical finishing. Going down to 10 mean obviously helped Rangers kill the game and they were well worth the 3 points.

1 hour ago, crispy said:

We offered very little in attack which was both unsurprising for this fixture and likely to be repeated by other teams this season.

Indeed. While we only had 23% possession in this match, Hearts only had 26% possession at home to Celtic and managed to win. The tactics weren't the problem. Rangers are just very good.

9 hours ago, J.domingo said:

David Martindale wants to sign Zambian international striker Brian Mwila. Mwila has always dreamed of playing in England and could potentially use Livingston as a stepping stone to a bigger club. Mwila has previously played in Luxembourg and Austria, and had recently signed up to a talent management agency in central London who also had links to Ibrahima Savane and Aymen Sousa. Mwila is a star in Zambia and has appeared in numerous TV commercials…this could potentially be a commercially promising deal for Livingston with the added importance of creating goal threat which appears non existent.

It is also all but final that Dylan Mackin will NOT be returning to Livingston this summer. Mackin and his agent are keen on a return to full time football, and while Martindale admires Mackin, he doesn’t believe the ex-Lion is ready for a return this summer. 

f**k it, let's do it. Bring on Mwila :D I'm onboard for our new Zambian superstar. When's the deal getting done?