Livingston - all the threads merged

The lack of training and match practice was evident last night and I think you could see Davie try a few things. Pitts looked better and more comfortable in the number 10 role, rather than defensive midfield for example and Penrice didn't look good on the left wing. 

Positives for me was how comfortable Shinnie looked on the ball, the pace and movement of Anderson and Longridge looked a lot better defensively this week. 

Negatives were Parkes pass back attempts to the keeper, Fitz being out of position and Holt continually losing possession. 

A few games under their belts and those errors could go but they could haunt us like last season. Fitz did look better at right back when McMillan went off, I wonder if he is more suited to being a right back. 

I think we'll look better once Forrest, Devlin and Mullin all come back. 

1 hour ago, spiggle said:

The lack of training and match practice was evident last night and I think you could see Davie try a few things. Pitts looked better and more comfortable in the number 10 role, rather than defensive midfield for example and Penrice didn't look good on the left wing. 

Positives for me was how comfortable Shinnie looked on the ball, the pace and movement of Anderson and Longridge looked a lot better defensively this week. 

Negatives were Parkes pass back attempts to the keeper, Fitz being out of position and Holt continually losing possession. 

A few games under their belts and those errors could go but they could haunt us like last season. Fitz did look better at right back when McMillan went off, I wonder if he is more suited to being a right back. 

I think we'll look better once Forrest, Devlin and Mullin all come back. 

Don't think Sibbs is fully fit either, these Betfred cup games are maybe more important than usual for getting us prepared for the league (we sure as feck need the games under our belts to sort ourselves out).

The amount of subs we're utilising certainly shows we're using these games as pre season ones, getting as many players as possible on to get the game time, and everyone a bit better acquainted with playing together.

12 hours ago, ATLIS said:

DM clear on the radio that we're not likely to see any more in so we need to make those who are in work.

Absolutely seething if that's the case. A million centre midfielders and left backs but only 2 clear centre backs. Couldn't care less if others 'can do a job', we need better than that if either Parkes or Fitzwater gets injured. 

Really irresponsible squad building. 

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Don't think Sibbs is fully fit either, these Betfred cup games are maybe more important than usual for getting us prepared for the league (we sure as feck need the games under our belts to sort ourselves out).

The amount of subs we're utilising certainly shows we're using these games as pre season ones, getting as many players as possible on to get the game time, and everyone a bit better acquainted with playing together.

I heard that Sibbs and Holt were both still struggling with tiredness after recovering from COVID and they were only supposed to have 45 mins each. 

I think the number of subs is maybe more to do with that than anything.

On 22/07/2021 at 13:17, EdinburghLivi said:

Absolutely seething if that's the case. A million centre midfielders and left backs but only 2 clear centre backs. Couldn't care less if others 'can do a job', we need better than that if either Parkes or Fitzwater gets injured. 

Really irresponsible squad building. 

I'd like to see McMillan get a go at CB. He's played there before and has always looked better defensively than going forward. The reviews about Kelly aren't great but Jon Guthrie was written off by Walsall fans before he kicked a ball for us

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:
2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:
If Buchanan gets a hattrick would we try and sign him back up, would at least have a proper striker up front.

Are you not happy with the 3 proper strikers we have?

Anderson looks the best out of them, but still needs to be more clinical with his efforts on goal, Reilly just doesn't fill me with confidence that he'll score goals, and Hamilton has still to prove himself at this level, although if he progresses the way he did in the Championship i'd be delighted..

Really hoping Anderson bags a few goals this season, he's missed a lot of chances in the cup games though, but early days, and hopefully things will click for him as he gets more games.

Disappointing that Hamilton only got 30 minutes in the league cup games. Really unlucky with illness at a crucial period for him. 

If you don't count Maley and Bartley, it looks as though we will have 24 players to choose from on match days. I'm not sure if the Premiership is going back to 7 substitutes but that could leave a lot of players out with Mullin and Forrest due back next week. 

Noticed we pulled out our reserves/B team from playing in the lower league Challenge cup. With injuries and illness depleting our squad. That's Jacko and Shinnie injured too, and the league hasn't even started yet, going to need everyone in the squad to be able to step up and play. 

Disappointing that Hamilton only got 30 minutes in the league cup games. Really unlucky with illness at a crucial period for him. 
If you don't count Maley and Bartley, it looks as though we will have 24 players to choose from on match days. I'm not sure if the Premiership is going back to 7 substitutes but that could leave a lot of players out with Mullin and Forrest due back next week. 

The prem has had 7 subs for a number of years now.
You mean the 5 subs can come on?

We will get bodied in the league if we don't get another CB in the door. Our best CB is a better RB than CB and Kelly looks like he might give away the most fouls in the league. 
No more players in unless more go out.
The fact Davie knew we needed another CB and instead signed a left back, shows that there aren't many cbs out there that we can afford on our budget.

33 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

No more players in unless more go out.
The fact Davie knew we needed another CB and instead signed a left back, shows that there aren't many cbs out there that we can afford on our budget.

Not really sure I buy that excuse. But even if that was the case then we should have spent the budget better. My only real concern is the defence this season, however one of my other concerns is the fact that we have a defence and midfield that we don't actually know our best line up, with many players that are all very similar. 

5 hours ago, Scrutinizer said:

Livi's first 6 league games = 1 point from 18 maybe even 0 points. Every game since the St Mirren semi last year has been bad,they'll struggle with scoring, and are my no1 contenders for the drop

Out of interest, what team do you support and what is your fascination with Livi?

16 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

The prem has had 7 subs for a number of years now.
You mean the 5 subs can come on?

There were 9 substitutes available to select last season? As you say, 5 of them could come on.