Livingston - all the threads merged

Penrice is not Premier League standard imo.Our defence in the coming season is severely lacking in quality and it could hurt us in the long run.I kinda get the feeling we're gonna be the Accies of the last few seasons and confound the critics.But I wouldn't put my house on it.Tough times ahead I fear.

Genuinely don't understand the thoughts on Penrice today.
I thought he was good (not excellent) but massively better than Pittman, Williamson and Lewis all in one.
Lewis was woeful, Williamson not quite as bad and Pittman is clearly being played out of position.

Thought Jacko had a decent enough game but Fitzwater takes the biscuit. Absolutely the worst central defender I've seen play for us. Beaten for pace by Connor Sammon on more than one occasion. Ball watches and NEVER plays to the whistle. Passing is awful.
This formation certainly isn't working and we are gonna lose at least 5 against The Rangers if we persist with it.
Tbh we will probably lose 5 to The Rangers regardless, but despite my early season thoughts that the squad looked quite good, based on Brechin and today at Alloa, we are in for a long, hard season.

Two many player obviously under the weather today; if talk about the noravirus running through the team is correct there will have been players out ther wondering what end to stick down the toilet first.

That being said, even if the team were fully fit, there doesn't seem to be enough quality out there to hold them for more than about ten minutes. It does seem that we're possibly two CD shy; it certainly seems a bad move to have let ATS go

32 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Two many player obviously under the weather today; if talk about the noravirus running through the team is correct there will have been players out ther wondering what end to stick down the toilet first.

That being said, even if the team were fully fit, there doesn't seem to be enough quality out there to hold them for more than about ten minutes. It does seem that we're possibly two CD shy; it certainly seems a bad move to have let ATS go

ATS was never the answer at all. He was by all accounts, a dodgy left back and an even worse CB. We had a CB on trial so I don't doubt we know that it's an area to look at, but none of the players we released this season would add anything to this side

Edited by ATLIS

What’s happening with Jack Hamilton? 22 minutes in 5 matches? Can we gave him back on loan please?

And how’s Williamson doing? Lots of Arbroath fans raved about him, but he seemed to me to have a bit to learn to be premier league standard.

28 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

What’s happening with Jack Hamilton? 22 minutes in 5 matches? Can we gave him back on loan please?

And how’s Williamson doing? Lots of Arbroath fans raved about him, but he seemed to me to have a bit to learn to be premier league standard.

He’s out with a bug/COVID just now. I really doubt we’d loan you him again as you’ve got Nouble. 

Williamson was involved in our goal yesterday but apart from that I’m not sure how well he’ll fit in

Think Hamilton is one of the players that have been hit by norovirus. Williamson only made his debut yesterday and looked ok...bit rash at times but he'll need time to settle

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

He’s out with a bug/COVID just now. I really doubt we’d loan you him again as you’ve got Nouble. 

Williamson was involved in our goal yesterday but apart from that I’m not sure how well he’ll fit in

Hopefully beside Obileye or Holt in the holding mids, and get Pittman back up in an attacking role. And if we're persisting with the FB's getting down the wings, get another CB signed to go with a back 3 to shore us up a bit defensively.

Strange that Martindale is wanting to rip up our tried and tested formula of high tempo, pressing game, to slowly bringing it out of defence and launching it diagonally up the wings to our FB's*, and we're not even following it up to win 2nd balls and trying to press hard in the opposition half. Holt mucked about with the formation last season and it went tits up, this actually looks a lot worse.

*i say FB's, because they aren't tracking back to be WB's, and are being told to fully commit themselves as wingers, which leaves DM's back behind them to cover counter attacks.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I’m imagining Shinnie will be playing out wide for us, decent signing but a bit of an injury risk
Out wide? The only wide players I've seen in our 2 games so far have been our fullbacks.
We brought on Montano who played just to the side of the centre circle.
We aren't playing wingers this season despite having countless natural wingers in our squad.

Shinnie has played centrally for the last 4/5 seasons for Luton and Charlton. Possibly an upgrade on what we have but strikes me as a bit of a panic signing given we have 7/8 centre-mids. Really not an area of the park we need to be strengthening.