Livingston - all the threads merged

Once JET said that he wanted to leave 6 weeks ago, then this is pretty much the best that we could have done out of this situation. There's clearly a player in Anderson.

If we're continuing to play 4-2-3-1, then I think I'm happy with Anderson, Reilly and Hamilton being our only strikers. SKA (who has been a baffling signing all the way through) will hopefully be on the way out, and wouldn't be against Matej going, although perhaps with a full preseason he'll do alright.

If we lose Marv, then we need either a fully fit Keaghan or a new central midfielder. 

4 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

If we lose Marv, then we need either a fully fit Keaghan or a new central midfielder. 

A fully fit Keahan is something we've really missed at times this season. Sounds like Martindale sees Ayo as a DM and potential replacement for Marv, plus if we get the Diani deal done then I'd say we're looking good in that position.

8 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Once JET said that he wanted to leave 6 weeks ago, then this is pretty much the best that we could have done out of this situation. There's clearly a player in Anderson.

If we're continuing to play 4-2-3-1, then I think I'm happy with Anderson, Reilly and Hamilton being our only strikers. SKA (who has been a baffling signing all the way through) will hopefully be on the way out, and wouldn't be against Matej going, although perhaps with a full preseason he'll do alright.

Holt does the job, we're also still trying to sign Diani permanently as well.

Wonder if the GK on loan could be someone like Sarkic that we've had before

6 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I've heard through a mutual friend that one of the top scouts for Everton is a personal friend of Martindale....potentially that's one of the premier league sides Davie mentioned about working with.

Let's get looking at left sided players for them that'd be likely to sign on loan for us :D 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nathan-broadhead/profil/spieler/344009 - Possible but if so I'd imagine Forrest is away? 11 in 18 at U23 level

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/thierry-small/profil/spieler/746554 - Possible as competition for Longridge now that Serrano is off? Is only going to be 17 by the time season starts though

Just noticed Tony Gallacher is at Liverpool still, I'm sure he's the boy they signed from Falkirk for a decent fee. Could maybe be an option at LB for competition, also knows the game here too

Edited by ATLIS

Martindale mentioned a number of clubs in the top 6 in England (he later said Top 8 ) had been in touch with him. Also that the guys he had been offered had been involved in 'men's football', a market he was previously not able to access.

Got to imagine it's left-back cover rather than left midfield/wing.

10 hours ago, The Wrong Car said:

I think Reilly fits more as a Robinson replacement, so I'd say Anderson provided a different option up front (for once!) 

I genuinely forgot you had Gavin Reilly 😂

Guest Bob Mahelp
13 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Martindale has basically been talking him up as a great finisher that we need to make chances for. Natural goal scorer who should be able to get a chunk of goals next season for sure

It's always been hard to tell with Anderson, because we never, ever saw enough of him. 

He stumbled into the Dons team but it became obvious he wasn't the type of striker that McInnes preferred.....the physical, hard working forward who moves from touchline to touchline. 

On top of that we became a team that created very few chances, and Anderson basically became a waste of a shirt in a McInnes side. 

The move to Hamilton was good for him because it proved that there's a Premiership striker in there. I reckon he'll do very well with Livi....maybe not a 20 goal a season striker, but he should certainly be good enough to get into double figures in your current set up. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Re: Anderson, IIRC he scored against us at Pittodrie and missed an open goal header at Almondvale. Hopefully him and/or Kabia can develop some composure in front of goal as both do seem to be finding themselves in the correct positions at least.

While it's disappointing to see Guthrie and others move on there's also part of me that is excited. If you support a team that isn't going to win the league then why not at least keep it fresh with a new team every year? 😁 Some exciting, up and coming players mixed with stalwarts and obscure signings from foreign lands. Bring it on.

Said who? It's certainly more difficult to sign foreign players but it's still an option
Still pursuing Diani, however his wages might be a stumbling block. With the added issues of work permits etc, it may be unlikely that he will sign.
All players we are linked with are based in the UK. No players coming in from foreign leagues.

Not sure if it's been confirmed before but Callum Carson reporting we accepted a guaranteed £1.7m for Dykes. Presumably in 2 installments given we had to take out a Scottish Government loan.

29 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

Still pursuing Diani, however his wages might be a stumbling block. With the added issues of work permits etc, it may be unlikely that he will sign.
All players we are linked with are based in the UK. No players coming in from foreign leagues.

Think it's too much hassle/hard work trying to get through all the red tape now, but we've put in a fair amount of effort on Diani already so think that's why we're pursuing him as a signing still. EPL loan signings and English lower league clubs seem to be the marker place for us now, rather than abroad. Obv still looking at SPFL lower league players too.

35 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
36 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:
We can only sign UK and Irish nationals now.

Said who? It's certainly more difficult to sign foreign players but it's still an option

Martindale was quoted recently implying as much. He's still trying with Diani and hopefully it can be argued that the temporary work permit awarded for January to June can just be extended. However, work permit rules have been changed since the January window so it mighn't be possible.

In Livi's history, players we signed of a non-EU primary nationality all had an EU secondary nationality. Steve Lawson, Cherif Maman, Gus Bahoken, Guy Ipoua and Hassan Kachloul all had French passports. Giarizzo and Pasquinelli both had Italian. Marvin Andrews is the only fully non-EU player I can think of that has played for us and his initial move to Raith required an unusual circumstance where Trinidad and Tobago had recently rocketed up the Fifa rankings, making him eligible.

Currently, EU players have just been put on this same 15 point qualification system for work permits which non-EU players have been on for decades. Hopefully, this will be eased in future but as of now it makes it near impossible for Livi.

We can still sign Irish players due to the Common Travel Agreement, incidentally.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

Martindale was quoted recently implying as much. He's still trying with Diani and hopefully it can be argued that the temporary work permit awarded for January to June can just be extended. However, work permit rules have been changed since the January window so it mighn't be possible.

In Livi's history, players we signed of a non-EU primary nationality all had an EU secondary nationality. Steve Lawson, Cherif Maman, Gus Bahoken, Guy Ipoua and Hassan Kachloul all had French passports. Giarizzo and Pasquinelli both had Italian. Marvin Andrews is the only fully non-EU player I can think of that has played for us and his initial move to Raith required an unusual circumstance where Trinidad and Tobago had recently rocketed up the Fifa rankings, making him eligible.

Currently, EU players have just been put on this same 15 point qualification system for work permits which non-EU players have been on for decades. Hopefully, this will be eased in future but as of now it makes it near impossible for Livi.

We can still sign Irish players due to the Common Travel Agreement, incidentally.

Some good names in there. We also had Theodore Whitmore, Horace Stout, David Alleyne, David Xausa, Sergio Berti.. wow, and probably plenty more.

5 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Not sure if it's been confirmed before but Callum Carson reporting we accepted a guaranteed £1.7m for Dykes. Presumably in 2 installments given we had to take out a Scottish Government loan.

AFAIK nearly every club in the Premiership took the loan so it's not the worst thing 

6 hours ago, crispy said:

Some good names in there. We also had Theodore Whitmore, Horace Stout, David Alleyne, David Xausa, Sergio Berti.. wow, and probably plenty more.

Ah, Whitmore, good shout. He had no EU passport but we could sign him due to his many Jamaica caps and Jamaica's decent FIFA rankings placing at that time.