Livingston - all the threads merged

Only positive i got from today was we defended set pieces well. Far too cautious going forward though, would've been fine if this was a cup final game, going to ET and pens, hoping to nick a goal for the winner, but making sure we didn't concede one. For a game we needed to win to get 5th place though, just too negative in attack.

What i'll also put out there, huge hole down that right wing was left by the absence of Devlin, boy did his absence stick out today. As much as he frustrates with his final ball, he's a persistent source of attack down the flank, making surging runs.

Anyway, think this is how our depth looks with the players we've got signed up for next season. Limiting everyone to only one position.

3-5-2

Spoiler

GK: Stryjek, Schwake

LWB: Longridge, Montaño
CB: Guthrie, Fitzwater, Obileye
RWB: Devlin, McMillan

CM: Pittman, Bartley, Sibbald, Jacobs, Holt, Pignatiello

FW: Hamilton, Poplatnik, Reilly, Mullin, Forrest, Kabia, Kouider-Aissa

4-2-3-1

Spoiler

GK: Stryjek, Schwake

LB: Longridge
CB: Guthrie, Fitzwater, Obileye
RB: Devlin, McMillan

CM: Bartley, Sibbald, Jacobs, Holt, Pignatiello

LW: Forrest, Montaño, Kabia
CAM: Pittman
RW: Mullin

ST: Hamilton, Poplatnik, Reilly, Kouider-Aissa

10 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Might sound a bit reactionary, but I think I can see Martindale taking a step back within the first round of fixtures next season. He obviously learned from the cup final and didn't put all our efforts into stopping individual players, but it still felt far too negative in that we were too concerned about conceding which impacted our attack. Seemed like no one was willing to take a risk and we were too reliant on winning a throw or corner and getting a scrappy goal from there. Part of that might come down to the players not being arsed, but personally think that still comes down to the manager not being able to get them up for it.

Hoping I'm wrong and he learns a lot over the summer, but he just doesn't strike me as the best tactical manager.

This might sound a bit weird, but I really really hope he does. Managers have a limited shelf life at clubs, and Martindale stepping up to DoF to maintain continuity wouldn't be the worst thing. He gets say on transfers and managers but doesn't get to pick team (as far as we'd know). His inexperience is really showing and costing us, he doesn't know (like Holt), how to arrest a slump and it just gets worse. 

In a game we need to win, we have 2 shots in the entire game. It's shocking. He shows up with two defensive midfielders and we're passing it backwards on the break. We're playing like a team constantly in fear. 

I think today showed that we've got a lot of decent workers in attack, but vey few proven matchwinners, and with JET leaving the list gets shorter. 

As much as this system has worked in the past (with Menga/Robbo etc) I'd be concerned if our attacking options next year rely on Tiffoney, Poplatnik etc. 

7 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

I think today showed that we've got a lot of decent workers in attack, but vey few proven matchwinners, and with JET leaving the list gets shorter. 

As much as this system has worked in the past (with Menga/Robbo etc) I'd be concerned if our attacking options next year rely on Tiffoney, Poplatnik etc. 

Tiffoney isn't signing on, Poplatnik is likely away as well. Tiffoney has agreed terms with Partick pending them paying us compensation

Interesting to see who leaves in the next week. Poplatnik absolutely anonymous today, wouldn’t be averse at all to him leaving. 

Also appears that JET is on the verge of signing for Aberdeen. Sore one. 

Would imagine Martindale will be in charge come the start of the next but as others have said, managers always have a shelf life - in the long-term, he’d be an immense resource in a DoF role. If he remains as manager and it sours, he’s likely off, unless we want our own Levein scenario. 

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Where has this been confirmed? It’s delightful news from our point of view.

Not sure if there's news of it anywhere else but Martindale pretty much said as much in the pre-match press conference for today's game.

17 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Where has this been confirmed? It’s delightful news from our point of view.

Yeah Martindale confirmed we'd offered him a deal (the bare minimum to be able to get compensation) and he's taking an offer elsewhere. Pretty sure he mentioned Partick tbf

Edited by ATLIS

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Yeah Martindale confirmed we'd offered him a deal (the bare minimum to be able to get compensation) and he's taking an offer elsewhere. Pretty sure he mentioned Partick tbf

Said he would probably go to Thistle but other clubs had enquired.

"Then you've got the problem of the work permit as he's currently here on a temporary work permit that runs until mid-June. His agent is based in Switzerland and I have a very good relationship with him but at this point in time, he'll not be at Livingston next year."

Martindale speaking today on Diani's situation. I assume all the French players Martindale has signed in the last 3 seasons have come via this same agent in Switzerland. Brexit has ended it now, though.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

"Then you've got the problem of the work permit as he's currently here on a temporary work permit that runs until mid-June. His agent is based in Switzerland and I have a very good relationship with him but at this point in time, he'll not be at Livingston next year."

Martindale speaking today on Diani's situation. I assume all the French players Martindale has signed in the last 3 seasons have come via this same agent in Switzerland. Brexit has ended it now, though.

That is utterly infuriating, if so. Thought he was very good today, ball retention was excellent and would’ve been handy next season. 

Yeah with us starting Diani in our last 2 matches, i was hoping he'd be getting signed properly for next season. Pisser if Brexit has fecked it for us signing foreign players outside of the UK. Dunno how signing a Columbian who's playing in England makes it ok to sign a foreign player though, but it must do.

Yeah with us starting Diani in our last 2 matches, i was hoping he'd be getting signed properly for next season. Pisser if Brexit has fecked it for us signing foreign players outside of the UK. Dunno how signing a Columbian who's playing in England makes it ok to sign a foreign player though, but it must do.
Christian Montana has spent the majority of his life in England

30 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Montano has settled status I'm sure, so by law is a British citizen whereas Diani isn't. It's basically like having the right to work in another country through residency. I think Montano came over and joined West Ham's youth academy at about 14