Livingston - all the threads merged

I like Robbo, has been a good player for us, always gave it his all, and was a constant nuisance to defenders, in numerous forward positions. Like Lawless last season, Robbo has had the season of his career with us, so if it got him a move for more dosh good luck to him. Would obv like him to be here next season, but if he's away then we'll survive, considering the big players we've lost, like Gallagher, Halkett, Dykes, Kelly, Alexander, etc, this wont affect us at all.

Team on a poor run of form at end of season. First team players abandoning ship. Inexperienced manager. You boys are a certainty for relegation next year....
Its one player who's been pretty much a rotation player until recently. We've survived losing massive players before when we had an inexperienced manager. Losing Halkett, Gallagher, Hardie, Byrne was a bigger issue and we dealt with that ok.

3 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Martindale being tight-lipped in his radio interview but BBC seem to think he won't play for them again. I assume he's signed a PCA and they've taken the hump but hopefully a Livi fan can clear up.

Gallagher played almost all the games after signing a pre-contact with you. Martindale would have no issues with a player getting a better deal elsewhere. 

Yeah, I can't blame Robbo for moving on. It would be a shame if there was a fight behind the scenes that led to it, but signing a PCA with another team that'll give him the biggest contract of his career isn't something we can fight against. It's happened with Halkett, Gallagher, Lamie, and others over the past couple of years, and it'll keep happening.

If he moves on, good luck to him.

27 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Team on a poor run of form at end of season. First team players abandoning ship. Inexperienced manager. You boys are a certainty for relegation next year....

Robinson's only ever been a backup/rotation player. Guthrie and Devlin signed new deals, we'll be fine

The idea that Livi staff take the hump against players who have PCAs with other clubs falls down when you look at Gallagher, Halkett and Lawless. I imagine that, similar to our first season in the Premiership, the post-game splits will see a lot of experimentation with players that are here next year

Robinson's only ever been a backup/rotation player. Guthrie and Devlin signed new deals, we'll be fine
They didn't necessarily sign new deals.
We had the clause in their contract, so it automatically applies regardless of whether the player wants to stay or not.
Just like Decs at Motherwell.

6 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

They didn't necessarily sign new deals.
We had the clause in their contract, so it automatically applies regardless of whether the player wants to stay or not.
Just like Decs at Motherwell.

Aye, still easier to just say a new deal. They've got another year on their deal now regardless 

Football is so fickle these days.We all want our best players to stay.But its their jobs end of the day.Money and an obvious fall out from Martindale will take him away from us.Its happened before and will happen again.Its how we deal with it.Having secured top six , im hoping Davie looks like hes got to look at a striker to bring in and bolster our strikeforce.. Couple of boys coming back end of season.But for the Spl.🤔.

21 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

Football is so fickle these days.We all want our best players to stay.But its their jobs end of the day.Money and an obvious fall out from Martindale will take him away from us.Its happened before and will happen again.Its how we deal with it.Having secured top six , im hoping Davie looks like hes got to look at a striker to bring in and bolster our strikeforce.. Couple of boys coming back end of season.But for the Spl.🤔.

He's hardly one of our best players though, had a good spell this season but has been nothing other than a bench/rotation option. There were months where he couldn't even make the bench, it's absolutely no big loss given we could recruit similar fairly easily in the window. 

We just need to better/match St Mirren/Dundee Utd/St Johnstone's results and there's a very good chance we'll be playing European football in the summer. Vaccine/Travel permitting I'll see the rest of you all in the Moldovan sun for our away game against Sheriff Tiraspol :guinness

Football is so fickle these days.We all want our best players to stay.But its their jobs end of the day.Money and an obvious fall out from Martindale will take him away from us.Its happened before and will happen again.Its how we deal with it.Having secured top six , im hoping Davie looks like hes got to look at a striker to bring in and bolster our strikeforce.. Couple of boys coming back end of season.But for the Spl.[emoji848].

JET, Reilly, Poplatnik, Hamilton, SKA, Forrest, Kabia.
Thats 7 strikers.
Forrest arguably is best as a winger but played up front for Ayr most of the time.

I really don't see the need to sign another striker unless they are a total world beater.
Another winger or 2 and a couple of Centre backs would suffice me.
Along with a proper first team keeper.

1 minute ago, LogieLivi said:

JET, Reilly, Poplatnik, Hamilton, SKA, Forrest, Kabia.
Thats 7 strikers.
Forrest arguably is best as a winger but played up front for Ayr most of the time.

I really don't see the need to sign another striker unless they are a total world beater.
Another winger or 2 and a couple of Centre backs would suffice me.
Along with a proper first team keeper.

I think we might see Jet or SKA away in the summer, and likely Kabia out on loan. Kabia and Forrest are wingers though so really leaves 5. 

We might end up loaning Hamilton out again (not that we should) but that leaves Reilly/Poplatnik as the main options. Surely it'd be no secret to say we've been scouting and looking for a target man. A fairly mobile tall striker who wins his aerial duels. Doesn't need to be a goalscorer but just needs to have decent hold up play.

There's a few I'd noticed but Harry Smith, on loan at Motherwell from Northampton fits our system perfectly and if available would be my 1st pick. His deal is up at the end of next season as well. 

If Ciaron Brown doesn't sign an extension down at Cardiff I'd say he'd do perfect for us. Not overly convinced we need another CB, but one more for cover would be fine. Guthrie and Fitzwater will be solid next season I think.

I reckon Stryjek will be settled as no.1 next season and we might see Schwake back to just be a backup and maybe cup experience. 

The squad generally is in a good place going into next season if no one comes in and gives us a stupid offer that we need to take. We just need some cover in the middle (possibly Diani if we do the buyout option, if he ever gets to play here). Maybe an extra winger for cover would do but I'd like to see Jet stay just for a level of cover as well. We still need to figure out if Josh Mullin is going to sign his personal option of a 2 year extension as his deal is up too which would be a big loss. 

I'd like to see us go for Luke McCowan at Ayr on a pre-contract by all accounts a very good attacking mid. Good option and rotation for Pittman and the chance to really develop as a player

If Robbo leaves i wouldn't mind us trying to get Callachan from Accies, or does it only go one way with our players going to them, not much between our budgets, we may even have a better wage offer than them with our top 6 placing. Don't know how long his contract has left though.

Yeah would like to see us keeping Jet, it has taken a while, but he's starting to look like he could offer something, on the wing and now up front too. Maybe a full pre season behind him would get his fitness levels right up, and make a big difference to him as well. Also think Poplatnik would be a lot better next season if he stays on, his fitness will be better too, and he knows what the Scottish game is like now.

Provided we don't lose Guthrie, we're looking a lot better going into next season than we have the past 2, Martindale has plenty of time to target players too, now he knows what kind of money our top 6 placing will bring in.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Provided we don't lose Guthrie, we're looking a lot better going into next season than we have the past 2, Martindale has plenty of time to target players too, now he knows what kind of money our top 6 placing will bring in.

Guthrie would only now go if an offer came in for him, and even then I think the club would not take it unless it was substantial, He and Devlin have had their 1 year extensions clause taken up by the club, hopefully though they look at extending that in the near future. With covid having a real bite at us Financially Davie said in the pre-match interview our player budget was based on us finishing 12th and he generally does not get anything more. Due to no crowds latter end of last season and all of this season we, like most other clubs have been hit quite hard. and it is likely the money for Dykes, the Cup Final appearance and finishing top 6 will help us but as a club I think we rely pretty heavily on gate money especially when the likes of Rangers, Celtic and Hibs come to the Tony Macaroni. 6 home games from those 3 clubs alone would generate a good 1 million from gates receipts alone. I think he said we will lose something like 55% turnover this year as there are no crowds. 

I know we want the club to be run sensibly, and for the most part it is at the moment, well looking from the outside in. but I can't help but think we should have a wee bit more ambition and rather than looking at budgets based on 12 should we look at more 9th or 10. Prizemoney difference is only a couple of hundred thousand, which to a club like ours is huge, but it could be the difference between holding onto players and them going for free. 

Don't get me wrong I think every club are going to be hit financially with covid, I have no idea what every clubs season ticket uptake was this season. but a few clubs have apparently reported sales were OK and on a par with the previous season, but the ongoing lockdown has had a massive effect financially on clubs I think.

Yeah i know, Martindale was bigging Guthrie up to play in the English Championship, we'd def take the kind of money offer they'd be able to pay, doubt any Scottish club would be taking him from us though.

As EdinburghLivi said, If Devlin practiced with Mullin to improve his deliveries, he'd be some player, and we'd get a good offer for him too, but 9 times out of 10, he puts in a poor ball, or when he does stick a decent ball across, he hasn't picked anyone out. Both him and Jet had a stormer yesterday though, would be brilliant if they could do that more often.

Dunno how Livi work the player budgets out, but if we hadn't finished in the top 6 two seasons running, and got to a cup final, as well as selling Dykes, i'm betting next season's budget would be a hell of a lot lower than it will be now. It's 3 or 4 times bigger than it was in the Championship anyway, and we can afford to compete with Accies on player wages. We need the fans back into the stadium to really benefit from being in the top flight though.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

On 10/03/2021 at 17:17, andylivi1 said:

JIM LEISHMAN MBE - The Interview 

OUT NOW!!! 

Incredibly humbling to be able to welcome someone like Jim onto our podcast, Jim is just a fantastic story teller, all things Meadowbank, Livingston and Dunfermline discussed with some terrific stories thrown in. 

Sit back and relax for the next hour and a half and listen to the legend that is Jim Leishman MBE look back at his time in football.

E22E5197-DFEA-4111-8827-329CE1B7BC67.png

Loving these ex players/managers interviews TALK LIVI and The Almondview podcast are doing, it's like a Tarantino film, getting all the stories from a time you lived yourself, and seeing it from all different angles, how they lived through that same period in Livi's history.