Livingston - all the threads merged

On 07/03/2021 at 17:47, LiviLion said:

Should we just go a bit "f**k it the season's over anyway" mental for next week?

Schwake*

Fitzwater  -  Guthrie  -  Ambrose

Mullin  -  Sibbald  -  Pittman  -  Forrest

JET  -  Poplatnik  -  Kabia

*okay, fine. Stryjek can play.

Wouldn't quite say F**k it but I would love to try a 3 man forward line, either 4 - 3 - 3 or as you have it 3 - 4 - 3. For the last few seasons we did not have many forwards/strikers, we do now so shake it up a little...or a lot. 

Just can't understand what has happened to us the last 6 games. I wonder if other teams have just got our measure now which is why I think we need to change it up.

Sibbs has to start, would go with both Forrest and Mullin too.

Stryjek

Devlin           Fitz/Efe      Guthrie         Serrano

Holt            Sibbald

Mullin        Pittman         Forrest

Poplatnik

Evening lads

It looks like we’re close to appointing David Hopkin as our new manager and I just wanted to know what the general opinion is of him amongst you lot?

Obviously it’s fairly well known that Martindale was responsible for the a lot of the signings at the club under Holt but I’d imagine this was also the case under Hopkin. If thats so was Hopkin really only picking the team and formation and nothing else?

24 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Evening lads

It looks like we’re close to appointing David Hopkin as our new manager and I just wanted to know what the general opinion is of him amongst you lot?

Obviously it’s fairly well known that Martindale was responsible for the a lot of the signings at the club under Holt but I’d imagine this was also the case under Hopkin. If thats so was Hopkin really only picking the team and formation and nothing else?

Hopkin was the one that gave Martindale a lot of duties, he put Martindale in charge of recruitment so that could be an issue if you don't have a strong squad already. 

Livi under Hopkin was all about fitness and intensity, running teams off the park with a high press. Great motivator and put into place a 352 that worked brilliant for us.

Team + Formation is probably true but same as any manager under a DOF. IMO a very good manager who's committed to getting the best out of his teams but he'll need a season or so to get his own team in the door. I'd expect a high turnover of the current squad so write off this season, staying up would be a success for you this season (We went down under Hopkin with him trying to save us after Burchill)

Edited by ATLIS

Hopkin was the one that gave Martindale a lot of duties, he put Martindale in charge of recruitment so that could be an issue if you don't have a strong squad already. 

Livi under Hopkin was all about fitness and intensity, running teams off the park with a high press. Great motivator and put into place a 352 that worked brilliant for us.

Team + Formation is probably true but same as any manager under a DOF. IMO a very good manager who's committed to getting the best out of his teams but he'll need a season or so to get his own team in the door. I'd expect a high turnover of the current squad so write off this season, staying up would be a success for you this season (We went down under Hopkin with him trying to save us after Burchill)

If he was the one who put Martindale in charge then I could see him convincing our chairman to bring in a DOF type as part of the agreement for him taking over.

25 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If he was the one who put Martindale in charge then I could see him convincing our chairman to bring in a DOF type as part of the agreement for him taking over.

Possibly but I think with Martindale it was a case of him and Martindale being close when they were coaches, as it was Hopkin that made him his assistant. Obviously had heard him talk about using stats based recruitment etc. 

So maybe not a case of wanting to work under a DOF but knowing someone could do it better? Not sure if he'd do that with Ayr as he didn't with Bradford and Morton. He actually tried to get Martindale to go down to Bradford with him as his assistant and Martindale refused it to stay at Livi.

From what I know though Hopkin had tried to sign Bob McHugh with us for almost every window, and he got him at Morton so I'd imagine he'll rock up at some point :D 

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Evening lads

Hopkins will get you to the Premiership in 3 seasons - whether he can keep you is another discussion..

Edited by Durnford

JIM LEISHMAN MBE - The Interview 

OUT NOW!!! 

Incredibly humbling to be able to welcome someone like Jim onto our podcast, Jim is just a fantastic story teller, all things Meadowbank, Livingston and Dunfermline discussed with some terrific stories thrown in. 

Sit back and relax for the next hour and a half and listen to the legend that is Jim Leishman MBE look back at his time in football.

E22E5197-DFEA-4111-8827-329CE1B7BC67.png

Edited by andylivi1

What's the story with Scott Robinson? :unsure:
Came on as a sub against The Rangers and was subbed off.
Wasn't happy and Martindale dropped him for it.

Out of contract at the end of the season. Signing for Motherwell.
Left out now because of that.

I honestly don't think Robinson would be a huge loss at all. He's been a rotation player for about 3 years and even then he's played as a makeshift striker this season. He doesn't fit our system at all. 

Had a good run this season but even then he's never a starter at this level. No huge loss if we can't keep him as an option off the bench or rotation

Edited by ATLIS

I don't really blame Robinson for moving (if true) given his age and form. This will probably be his last chance at a 'big' move on the back of some high profile goals and performances. 

However if he's asked for a salary of a starting Premiership striker I don't blame Livi for saying no. Bar a brief purple patch his output over the past 3 years has been fairly poor and I don't think effort, pressing and versatility cover that. 

I like Robbo, has been a good player for us, always gave it his all, and was a constant nuisance to defenders, in numerous forward positions. Like Lawless last season, Robbo has had the season of his career with us, so if it got him a move for more dosh good luck to him. Would obv like him to be here next season, but if he's away then we'll survive, considering the big players we've lost, like Gallagher, Halkett, Dykes, Kelly, Alexander, etc, this wont affect us at all.

Team on a poor run of form at end of season. First team players abandoning ship. Inexperienced manager. You boys are a certainty for relegation next year....
Its one player who's been pretty much a rotation player until recently. We've survived losing massive players before when we had an inexperienced manager. Losing Halkett, Gallagher, Hardie, Byrne was a bigger issue and we dealt with that ok.

3 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Martindale being tight-lipped in his radio interview but BBC seem to think he won't play for them again. I assume he's signed a PCA and they've taken the hump but hopefully a Livi fan can clear up.

Gallagher played almost all the games after signing a pre-contact with you. Martindale would have no issues with a player getting a better deal elsewhere. 

Yeah, I can't blame Robbo for moving on. It would be a shame if there was a fight behind the scenes that led to it, but signing a PCA with another team that'll give him the biggest contract of his career isn't something we can fight against. It's happened with Halkett, Gallagher, Lamie, and others over the past couple of years, and it'll keep happening.

If he moves on, good luck to him.