Livingston - all the threads merged

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

You know? I'd love to see a female manager. I honestly don't know how good Kerr is, she's clearly capable but without wishing to put a slight on women's football it's perhaps not quite the goldfish bowl mentality of the men's game. As much as I would like parity between the two, I should say.

I'm not sure how the Livi fan base would react but it would gain huge amounts of media coverage and perhaps a boost in any possible sponsorship once "the end times" are lifted, and it would (imo) be a really progressive step.

As I say, though, it would really depend on just how good she is as a manager.

I can genuinely see us going down that route. Go for the media coverage and sponsorship to help keep the club afloat and hope that it works out on the pitch. It's a major gamble but other than the usual names (McIntyre, Hughes, Hartley etc) there's not many REALISTIC options out there. Perhaps Marvin Bartley would be the easy option with him currently being the reserves manager. If that were to happen I'd hope he'd retire from playing and concentrate on management. Would love Tommy Wright but can't see him playing well with Martindale like Holt and Hoppy did. Those calling for Hoppy back need to have a look at his record since leaving us. He struck gold with the players we had and how they fit a system but as we've seen this season...we don't have the players to play Hoppyball anymore. 

14 minutes ago, Ric said:

You know? I'd love to see a female manager. I honestly don't know how good Kerr is, she's clearly capable but without wishing to put a slight on women's football it's perhaps not quite the goldfish bowl mentality of the men's game. As much as I would like parity between the two, I should say.

I'm not sure how the Livi fan base would react but it would gain huge amounts of media coverage and perhaps a boost in any possible sponsorship once "the end times" are lifted, and it would (imo) be a really progressive step.

As I say, though, it would really depend on just how good she is as a manager.

Yeah, I don't think it's likely to happen, but I would fucking love to see it

1 minute ago, weetoonlad said:

Why has the incoming manager to keep Martindale as No 2 

That's the problem get rid of him not GH

Because Martindale's drug money help keep the club afloat (allegedly).

Stubbs is the name I'm hearing. 

20 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Alloa have been approached to ask permission to speak to Peter Grant. Not sure if this was in the offing before Holt resigned.

Source? or are we just making things up now?

Peter Crouch has been spotted at Asda in Livingston looking at extra large towels for his new digs in Dedridge. Surely he's a shoe in with mentioning how he'd love to try management on his podcast

Edited by Cptn Hooch

2 hours ago, Widge said:

There's a number of reasons for Wright not taking the Livingston job that have nothing to do with size of club, stature and reputation in my opinion. 

Firstly he's gone on record so many times how much he hates plastic pitches and I'm fairly sure he's criticised Livingstons in the press. Secondly he's never going to want to work with the Martindale factor. It's not even the fact there's a DoF involved, but Martindale basically runs the club and Wright isn't going to want that, he want's complete control.

It's not unreasonable to think he might be interested, but I think the fact he's not even being listed on the betting pages right now tells you everything you need to know. He's been a lot less vocal recently about getting back into club management than before and I suspect he's already got an eye on Baracloughs disastrous start at N.I with a view to being brought in as an emergency wise head. 

Is there any top flight club that gives their manager complete control? Would imagine all managers at the very least have to get signings approved first.

I don't actually think Martindale interferes in team selection or tactics*, but if it isn't working then i absolutely think he makes moves to remove the manager and bring in a replacement.

It'll be interesting to see what changes (if any) are made to the team against Ayr on Saturday, there were a few things not working with Holt's team selection/formation/tactics this season, will Martindale change things enough to fix that, looking forward to seeing if he does.

*he stood back letting Kenny Miller do his thing, and i got the impression he was a bit subdued the last couple of games under Holt, same way he was when Miller's time was up. So i get the feeling he lets the manager do their own thing till it aint working.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

8 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

The Alloa pie seller, much prefer taxi drivers for inside info, they get all the gen.

Would be interesting though, having 2 ex Alloa managers battling it out in a relegation dog fight this season. Who's the best, Grant or Goodwin, only one way to find out who's the best.

HarryHillFight.jpg

We'll be at least 10 points clear of you by the end of January.  Can't see there being much of a dogfight. 

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Wonder if they will make Martindale the manager officially now. He’s been the unofficial manager for years so why not.

He doesn’t want to take over and have a further light shone on his past apparently. That’s why it won’t be him. 

14 minutes ago, smc4761 said:

If Livi want to take Rice, I will happily drive him through for you any time of day or night

Would be happy to see a manager swap, we will take Holt

Kettlechips to you, Rice to Livingston and we’ll have Holt.  How’s about that?

27 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

He doesn’t want to take over and have a further light shone on his past apparently. That’s why it won’t be him. 

Why? What dark secrets happened with him?