Livingston - all the threads merged

51 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

I'm not convinced that's true. Dykes was always seen as second fiddle to Dobbie but clearly had something about him at that level.

Normally highlight reels make players look like world beaters, but I really don't see anything impressive there. Yeah he had a great season, but there's levels to this game.

Dolly's goal against Hearts where he put 4 or 5 of them on their arses before nutmegging the keeper will be on his highlights video now, folk will think he's as good as Messi. 🤣

Can only put faith on our coaching staff's ability to spot a talent, and the potential to progress to this level.

13 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Dolly's goal against Hearts where he put 4 or 5 of them on their arses before nutmegging the keeper will be on his highlights video now, folk will think he's as good as Messi. 🤣

Can only put faith on our coaching staff's ability to spot a talent, and the potential to progress to this level.

He's better than Messi. Wash your mouth out.....

17 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

People did say the same about Dykes....in fact a lot of people said it about our entire team when we were promoted. He's got an eye for goal but these videos don't really show you his full game, glad Gary is having a closer look at him at the club before making a move.

Stupid people maybe.

Dykes quite clearly was way better than our level in his last year, probably could have done a decent job a year earlier too. He'll always get criticism for his goalscoring record. He's done better at Livi where he is the focus of the attack but even with you it's decent but not exceptional. But his game is so much more than just goals. He's strong, powerful and quick. It's a rare combination in a front man. At Queens he played second fiddle in goalscoring to Dobbie, bullying defenders and running the channels to clear space. I know Dobbie is getting on a bit now but he scored 43 goals in Dykes last season with us (and missed two months injured or he might have got 50!). He scored 11 last season. Dykes was by far the biggest reason for the difference. and was clearly destined for better things.

No disrespect but I think someone bigger than Livi might have taken a chance on him last January and I think your management did a smart bit of business to snap him up early and allow the loan back rather than wait and hope to get him in the summer.

Salim Kouider-Aissa never got a look in with us so it's hard to say if he has a chance. He was young when with us and was Jim McIntrye's last signing before moving to Ross County a week later. James Fowler took over and never particularly seemed to rate Salim. He managed a handful of unused sub appearances, played for the Development side a bit and went out on loan to Shotts before being released at the end of the season and joining Stirling Albion. Certainly he was a handful and the biggest single reason Queen's Park put us out of the Scottish Cup last season at Palmerston. We couldn't deal with him. As much as it's easy to look at our end position and say that wasn't unusual, the game was in November and for the 1st half of the season we were on the fringes of the promotion playoffs with a very good defensive record. It only went to shit after New Year when you nicked McCrorie and Thistle enticed Darren Brownlie away. Up to then Salim gave us as much trouble as anyone (certainly more trouble than Lawrence Shankland ever did).

I see the official LFC website has had a make over,what's happened to the online shop on the official LFC site though,anyone know?

On my phone I scrolled right to the bottom and found a picture link for the shop.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Stupid people maybe.

Dykes quite clearly was way better than our level in his last year, probably could have done a decent job a year earlier too. He'll always get criticism for his goalscoring record. He's done better at Livi where he is the focus of the attack but even with you it's decent but not exceptional. But his game is so much more than just goals. He's strong, powerful and quick. It's a rare combination in a front man. At Queens he played second fiddle in goalscoring to Dobbie, bullying defenders and running the channels to clear space. I know Dobbie is getting on a bit now but he scored 43 goals in Dykes last season with us (and missed two months injured or he might have got 50!). He scored 11 last season. Dykes was by far the biggest reason for the difference. and was clearly destined for better things.

No disrespect but I think someone bigger than Livi might have taken a chance on him last January and I think your management did a smart bit of business to snap him up early and allow the loan back rather than wait and hope to get him in the summer.

Salim Kouider-Aissa never got a look in with us so it's hard to say if he has a chance. He was young when with us and was Jim McIntrye's last signing before moving to Ross County a week later. James Fowler took over and never particularly seemed to rate Salim. He managed a handful of unused sub appearances, played for the Development side a bit and went out on loan to Shotts before being released at the end of the season and joining Stirling Albion. Certainly he was a handful and the biggest single reason Queen's Park put us out of the Scottish Cup last season at Palmerston. We couldn't deal with him. As much as it's easy to look at our end position and say that wasn't unusual, the game was in November and for the 1st half of the season we were on the fringes of the promotion playoffs with a very good defensive record. It only went to shit after New Year when you nicked McCrorie and Thistle enticed Darren Brownlie away. Up to then Salim gave us as much trouble as anyone (certainly more trouble than Lawrence Shankland ever did).

Yeah and if Dykes wasn't so shite at taking penalties he could've had about 20 goals last season, he missed 2 then Lawless took over and scored 6 or 7 from the spot. And even more if the season had been completed.

He's def got more to offer still, and will make another step up when moving to a bigger club than us. Reckon he'd make Morelos even more potent in front of goals, but I hope to f**k he doesn't go there, he'll have a bigger future going to an English Championship club, or a bottom half Premiership club down there. As you said, he offers something different with pace and strength bullying defenders, plus the ability to score goals.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Stupid people maybe.

Really interesting perspective. Cheers

Also see that Robby McCrorie has signed a contract extension at Rangers to 2023.

Edited by crispy

54 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah and if Dykes wasn't so shite at taking penalties he could've had about 20 goals last season, he missed 2 then Lawless took over and scored 6 or 7 from the spot. And even more if the season had been completed.

He's def got more to offer still, and will make another step up when moving to a bigger club than us. Reckon he'd make Morelos even more potent in front of goals, but I hope to f**k he doesn't go there, he'll have a bigger future going to an English Championship club, or a bottom half Premiership club down there. As you said, he offers something different with pace and strength bullying defenders, plus the ability to score goals.

Whilst he's certainly improved his goalscoring a bit since going to Livi and being expected more to be the one on the end of moves, from what I've seen goalscoring remains the weakest part of his game. There are very few possess the physical power and pace combination he has. He's brave too and his ability on the ball is surprisingly decent for a big man. But his shooting, particularly when he's got time to think about it, is hit or miss. He missed the only two penalties he took for us too. He shouldn't be let anywhere near penalties. He doesn't score many crisply struck strikers finishes. His goals generally are spectacular lobs or rounding the keeper with pace, or they are bundled in off a shin, thigh, knee, etc from close range.

30 minutes ago, crispy said:

Really interesting perspective. Cheers

Also see that Robby McCrorie has signed a contract extension at Rangers to 2023.

McCrorie is an outstanding keeper. For me he's been the best keeper in the Championship for two seasons running (and he only spent half a season of each down there). If he wasn't at the same club as Alan McGregor he'd be playing 1st team pretty much anywhere else in the Premiership (including Celtic right at this second as I'd take him over Bain every day of every week). It will be interesting to see if he goes back out on loan again and if so, where. I think they'll look to send him to England if they can find a club they think he'll play at but another season on loan in the Scottish Premiership isn't impossible while he waits for McGregor to move aside. Will Livi go for him again?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

McCrorie is an outstanding keeper. For me he's been the best keeper in the Championship for two seasons running (and he only spent half a season of each down there). If he wasn't at the same club as Alan McGregor he'd be playing 1st team pretty much anywhere else in the Premiership (including Celtic right at this second as I'd take him over Bain every day of every week). It will be interesting to see if he goes back out on loan again and if so, where. I think they'll look to send him to England if they can find a club they think he'll play at but another season on loan in the Scottish Premiership isn't impossible while he waits for McGregor to move aside. Will Livi go for him again?
I wonder if he'd still be hanging around Rangers if he wasn't a fan growing up. They've just signed Jon McLaughlin too who'll be ahead of him in the pecking order

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whilst he's certainly improved his goalscoring a bit since going to Livi and being expected more to be the one on the end of moves, from what I've seen goalscoring remains the weakest part of his game. There are very few possess the physical power and pace combination he has. He's brave too and his ability on the ball is surprisingly decent for a big man. But his shooting, particularly when he's got time to think about it, is hit or miss. He missed the only two penalties he took for us too. He shouldn't be let anywhere near penalties. He doesn't score many crisply struck strikers finishes. His goals generally are spectacular lobs or rounding the keeper with pace, or they are bundled in off a shin, thigh, knee, etc from close range.

Meant to be close to signing a keeper, no idea who though.

Didn't really get to see too much of him at Livi, didn't look anything special, but i'm comparing him to Sarkic in the first half of our season, and he was fantastic for us, set Dykes up for his goal against Celtic too, his kicking was very, very good. If he was available though, i'd think our management team would be happy to take him again.

17 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I wonder if he'd still be hanging around Rangers if he wasn't a fan growing up. They've just signed Jon McLaughlin too who'll be ahead of him in the pecking order

I think the fact they've signed McLaughlin is why it's an absolute certainty he's heading out on loan again. McCrorie wants to play and is being groomed as McGregor's long term successor. I'd put him ahead of McLaughlin personally but I imagine McLaughlin is here to act as this season's Foderingham while Robby goes on loan again. I don't think he would have signed without an assurance he would be allowed to go out on loan.

Only issue I have with Aissa, is that this all seems really similar to the link with Blair Henderson last season when he banged them in for Edinburgh City and then we heard nothing about him last season. It could just have been a decent run of form for him but couldn't cope with a huge jump in competition.

Only issue I have with Aissa, is that this all seems really similar to the link with Blair Henderson last season when he banged them in for Edinburgh City and then we heard nothing about him last season. It could just have been a decent run of form for him but couldn't cope with a huge jump in competition.
I think the main difference with the Blair Henderson rumour is that Henderson never came to us on trial.
We didn't have any interest at all in Blair.

2 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

I think the main difference with the Blair Henderson rumour is that Henderson never came to us on trial.
We didn't have any interest at all in Blair.

“If you’re on trial somewhere, come in fit and give yourself as good a chance as you can. He’s done well this week and it’s one we’ll monitor.

“You can see why he’s scored goals but when you’re talking about Queen’s Park to our level, he needs to keep doing it and improving we’ll see how we go over the coming days.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-boss-gives-update-trialist-22295017

Yep, Holt is having a good look at him before deciding if he's going to be consistent enough to make the step up.