Livingston - all the threads merged

1 hour ago, spiggle said:

So after the announcements of release and return from loan etc. I reckon we have the following squad. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Keepers

Ross Stewart

Gary Maley

Brian Schwake

Defenders

Jack McMillan

Nicky Devlin

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair

Cece Pepe

Alan Lithgow (inj)

Jon Guthrie

Effie Ambrose

Hakeem Odoffin

Midfielders

Steve Lawson (can also play at right back)

Marvin Bartley

Keaghan Jacobs

Craig Sibbald

Scott Robinson

Robbie Crawford

Carlos Pignatiello

Alan Forrest

Ayman Souda

Scott Tiffoney (can also play up front)

Dolly Menga (can also play up front)

Forwards

Lyndon Dykes

Jack Hamilton

Rafa Da Vita (can also play on the wing)

Based on that, I reckon we don't need that many in. I reckon a new keeper, a centre half to replace Brown and possibly another striker.

Pittman?

Lawless leaving is a massive blow, and I’m maybe being slightly conservative by not quite buying into the Forrest hype. Would be quite content with a GK and a winger coming in, and another striker if the budget stretches that much. Wouldn’t be surprised if we’re dipping into the loan market for all three positions.

22 hours ago, thruthenight said:

Jordan White would be a step back for us. Great championship player, but so was Danny Mullen.

Shame about Lawless. Lamie was a solid player for us, and I'd have happily kept him, but CB is arguably where we have the most quality right now so it's not the end of the world. Lawless clearly has a move lined up elsewhere, and I can't blame him for taking it. He's 28/29, get one decent contract at an Aberdeen or a Hibs and rake in the money while you can.

Kinda says everything that Erskine hasn't even been mentioned yet. Never really worked for him here. Hate to say it, but I think De Vita will play a similar role next season - he's not been the same since that knee injury in the playoffs.

Dykes will probably be away as well. At least we're in a strong enough financial situation that we don't have to accept peanuts, even in the current climate. Other than that, I don't think anyone else will be a target - maybe an outside chance of Pitts or Guthrie.

But yeah, seeing that squad list fills me with hope. We've got a really strong squad right now, and that's before some potential new entries. A new keeper would be an improvement, but Stewart did alright when he was with us last season, although admittedly the weakest of the 4. We'll need a Dykes replacement too - we relied on him a little too much this year so we could probably use a 2nd striker. Although we could go back to Dolly & chaosball if needed.

Regarding Sarkic and Brown, I think they're both out of contract. From a couple of interviews, it definitely looks as if Sarkic loved his time here, and is pissed at Villa for taking him back and not even putting him on the bench. I'd love him back, but I imagine Villa were paying him way to much for us to even consider it. Brown might be a more realistic target, and I'd love to se him back as well. Brown/Guthrie/Ambrose/Lithgow is an excellent set of centre-backs

From someone who had to go through the pain of watching De Vita, for half of last season, he’s undoubtedly among the worst I’ve seen in a Jags jersey in the last 2 seasons, which is no mean feat. And then when he dropped Down to League 1 I don’t think he got much better. I’ve seen Chris Erskine since his decline, from his old self, and even he’s 10x better than De Vita was. 

4 hours ago, spiggle said:

In my head I'd written Pittman. I'll edit my post, cheers. 

Had me worried there.

I've checked and can't see anything about Cameron Blues on our website comings and goings piece, when mentioning loan players, think he was at Morton on loan last season. He's still in the playing squad on our OS too, like Rafa, he hasn't had great feedback from the fans of his loan club. 

Hoping with a good pre season under him that Rafa will be back to his former pre injury self, when on his game he was a class player for us. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

40 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Had me worried there.

I've checked and can't see anything about Cameron Blues on our website comings and goings piece, when mentioning loan players, think he was at Morton on loan last season. He's still in the playing squad on our OS too, like Rafa, he hasn't had great feedback from the fans of his loan club. 

Hoping with a good pre season under him that Rafa will be back to his former pre injury self, when on his game he was a class player for us. 

We signed Blues permanently a few weeks into his loan last season. Who knows why - he’s pish. 

9 hours ago, Afro said:

I also reckon De Vita is done. Not exactly glowing reviews from Partick fans and seems to have made no impact at Falkirk - which doesn’t bode well for the Premiership.

Don't think Lawless had glowing reviews from them either when he signed for us, but you're right, it isn't looking too good for Rafa since his bad injury.  Can only hope he can get back to his normal self after a pre season under his belt.

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Don't think Lawless had glowing reviews from them either when he signed for us, but you're right, it isn't looking too good for Rafa since his bad injury.  Can only hope he can get back to his normal self after a pre season under his belt.

You might be thinking of someone else. I remember Partick acknowledging that Lawless was one of their best players.

I don't think Rafa will feature much for us, only position I can see him playing is up front and that's only because we have two other strikers - and one is a Championship level youngster.

De Vita will never be a starter again, under no illusions on that one. He'll fill out the bench and come on for the last 15/20 minutes at most.

I reckon he can offer enough from that position in the squad, just come on as a roll of the dice if we're chasing - then again Menga would be a better option as would Souda etc. Honestly just hope we keep him around for his testimonial(?). He was here 2008-11 and 2016-20 - assuming testimonial would qualify in broken spells (should do as Keaghan's did)

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-fc-say-new-signing-22127426

The Daily Record reporting that Lawless was set to leave from October and that Forrest is his direct replacement. New goalkeeper to follow too apparently.

Also, I think Holt is in with a decent shout for MotY: relative to budget I think he's achieved the best league position; we still had a chance at Europe; and it was a rebuild after 18/19. Yes, we had a stinker of a winless run before Christmas but Motherwell's form since (losing the striker at) Christmas was relegation stuff too. Lennon has done as expected although it looked tight at Christmas. I can't believe DIck Campbell is still around! Fair play big man.

Edited by crispy

Presumably we weren't paying Lawless that much and he felt that he could play the field for a better deal after his run of form early in the season. Fair play to him if he gets a good pay day. 

Interesting that Lamie wasn't offered a new deal. Maybe it was clear that he had already agreed to go elsewhere?

Hopefully Sarkic is incoming.

1 hour ago, crispy said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-fc-say-new-signing-22127426

The Daily Record reporting that Lawless was set to leave from October and that Forrest is his direct replacement. New goalkeeper to follow too apparently.

Also, I think Holt is in with a decent shout for MotY: relative to budget I think he's achieved the best league position; we still had a chance at Europe; and it was a rebuild after 18/19. Yes, we had a stinker of a winless run before Christmas but Motherwell's form since (losing the striker at) Christmas was relegation stuff too. Lennon has done as expected although it looked tight at Christmas. I can't believe DIck Campbell is still around! Fair play big man.

Motherwell still finished 3rd though, and you can't take that away from Robinson, I reckon he'll get it if they don't just go for the easy choice of Lennon.

Pretty incredible what Campbell has done too right enough, and Holt having lost our complete defensive spine, incl GK, as well as Byrne and Hardie, did some job replacing them and finishing in an even higher position than last season. I'm with you and hope Holt gets it, but obv i'm biased.

30 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Nice to see we slapped a 2m price tag on Dykes. Anyone know if Queens' got a tiny sell on fee or anything?

Be interesting to see what you actually receive when he moves on, 2m seems on the high side to me but time will tell. 

4 hours ago, Yorky said:

Be interesting to see what you actually receive when he moves on, 2m seems on the high side to me but time will tell. 

Compared to the value some teams are looking at for their star players, I'd say it was very fair. Was Turnbull not meant to be going for £3million?