Livingston - all the threads merged

2 hours ago, Yorky said:

Well there is the small stat of Motherwell having seven more points, that’s quite a gap. Personally I think there are two Livi teams, the one that plays at home and takes full advantage of the pitch and the one you sometimes see away from home who look a whole level lower at times. There is no doubt that they have done amazingly well given the budget though so fair play.

I think Motherwell & Aberdeen were about 14 points ahead of us around Xmas time, and we got within touching distance of both of you, reckon we could've caught up and got at least 4th place, or at least given the team sitting 4th a good challenge. Our home record against Aberdeen is surprisingly poor too, we'd have needed to have sorted that out too. 

Really enjoyed this season, as good as it was though, there is still room for improvement, so many games where we were 2 goals up and ended up with draws, something to work on next season.

2 hours ago, Yorky said:

Well there is the small stat of Motherwell having seven more points, that’s quite a gap. Personally I think there are two Livi teams, the one that plays at home and takes full advantage of the pitch and the one you sometimes see away from home who look a whole level lower at times. There is no doubt that they have done amazingly well given the budget though so fair play.

I can hardly remember our 0-0 game - says a lot. The game Motherwell beat us in at Fir Park was very close. Lawson squandered a sitter near the end and both 'Well goals were fortuitous. You may remember that, for the first, Sarkic let the ball run between his legs and second was a shot going wide that we (Guthrie?) blocked and it fell right into the path of Campbell. Post-match comments on both threads were that it could've gone either way. The second Almondvale game was all Livi. 

I maintain that "there isn't a lot between us and them". Also, saw a few 'Well fans on your own thread questioning whether the team is as good as recent years or the 3rd best this season. That aside, good news for the Scottish game with the young players coming through there. Also, it's remarkable the season that Gallagher has had and quite the contrast compared to Halkett. 

Edited by crispy

8 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

St Johnstone would've overtaken Livingston imo.

I had all but forgotten our most recent game in Perth. Our performance that day doesn't suit my Euro agenda 🤣 I wonder if there will be a day when our teams matching up IS an exciting prospect?

Edit: i remember the 3-1 Scottish Cup game many moons ago. That was exciting for us at least. David Bingham was out injured i'm sure. I knew then it wouldn't be our year.

Bit of a tanget here but nice looking back, 

"It was August 1995 that the teams first met competitively in a Coca-Cola Cup Second Round clash.

The match ended 1-1 (AET) with George O'Boyle on target for Saints. It ultimately ended in disappointment though as the Third Division visitors progressed on 2-4 on penalties.

Saints got their first win over Livingston three seasons later though, winning 3-1 away from home in the Scottish Cup.

A double from Roddy Grant either side of a Fizzy Scott goal helped Saints advance. Former Hearts and Scotland international striker John Robertson was on target for Livi.

Former Saints youth players Charlie King and Paul Deas both featured for Livingston that day."

Edited by crispy

47 minutes ago, crispy said:

I can hardly remember our 0-0 game - says a lot. The game Motherwell beat us in at Fir Park was very close. Lawson squandered a sitter near the end and both 'Well goals were fortuitous. You may remember that, for the first, Sarkic let the ball run between his legs and second was a shot going wide that we (Guthrie?) blocked and it fell right into the path of Campbell. Post-match comments on both threads were that it could've gone either way. The second Almondvale game was all Livi. 

I maintain that "there isn't a lot between us and them". Also, saw a few 'Well fans on your own thread questioning whether the team is as good as recent years or the 3rd best this season. That aside, good news for the Scottish game with the young players coming through there. Also, it's remarkable the season that Gallagher has had and quite the contrast compared to Halkett. 

If I remember correctly Halkett was rated far higher than Gallagher at Livi ?

Just now, Yorky said:

Still is.

He's had a horrendous time at Hearts, injury and in a disjointed team with a change of managers seeing the players not knowing what exactly they're meant to be doing, but at Livi he was one of the best in the league. Dec has had a great season at Well, and i'm pleased for him, we were lucky to have both him and Craig at Livi. I think Halks will come good again and get a Scotland call up, he's tremendous at getting onto set pieces and scores lots of goals too, real shame how things went for him at Hearts. 

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Still is.

He's had a horrendous time at Hearts, injury and in a disjointed team with a change of managers seeing the players not knowing what exactly they're meant to be doing, but at Livi he was one of the best in the league. Dec has had a great season at Well, and i'm pleased for him, we were lucky to have both him and Craig at Livi. I think Halks will come good again and get a Scotland call up, he's tremendous at getting onto set pieces and scores lots of goals too, real shame how things went for him at Hearts. 

Was there a link earlier to a Dec interview on here ? Or have I just imagined it.

32 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Never seen it on this thread, just listened to it on the Declan Gallagher thread though. Thread seems to have been deleted.

Ah shame, never got to listen to it.

53 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Yea, i think that would've be the consensus. As Gallagher played to the right of 3/4 it used to give him opportunity to get up the wing. He did a great job of getting past players and hitting the byline even if he wasnt lightning fast (a less swashbuckling style the Devlin). From what i saw he has been a rock in the centre of defence and still pinging nice passes forward.

While Halkett has had a horror time at Hearts he's still got a fair few goals in all comps. Wouldn't be surprised if he's finished as their top goalscorer this year. I expected he'd reach double figures.

22 hours ago, tree house tam said:

I reckon we were on course for Europe tbf, you and Hibs could've fought for the scraps.

Joking aside, I doubt it, top 6 was your battle and you managed it with play being suspended, incredible achievement considering how badly St Johnstone had played for the first half of the season. Funny season really, Aberdeen & Motherwell hit a bad patch too and gave Livi the chance to almost catch them. Would've loved to have seen the remaining games played to see if we could've managed a European place, just as incredible as St Johnstone's comeback this season, was how well Livi did after losing such big players from last season.

23 hours ago, Yorky said:

Ah shame, never got to listen to it.

Praised up Robinson for being meticulous in his preparation for going into games, each player knowing what they were meant to be doing. The complete opposite for Criag Halkett at Hearts this season. Also told Gallagher he'd improve him as a player. Don't know if he has done, but Dec has stepped out from behind Halks shadow and shone brightly at Motherwell, he was always a good defender, and had the composure to bring the ball out of defence to make accurate passes, did that at Livi too, but just seemed to be outshone by Halks, with him being our joint top goal scorer and a rock in defence, also awarded captaincy. Halkett also seemed to be a calming influence on Gallagher, and was able to calm him down when things got a bit heated.

38 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Joking aside, I doubt it, top 6 was your battle and you managed it with play being suspended, incredible achievement considering how badly St Johnstone had played for the first half of the season. Funny season really, Aberdeen & Motherwell hit a bad patch too and gave Livi the chance to almost catch them. Would've loved to have seen the remaining games played to see if we could've managed a European place, just as incredible as St Johnstone's comeback this season, was how well Livi did after losing such big players from last season.

Joking aside,  I reckon we were a stick on for at least 5th. We were about to pump Hibs to go 6th anyway before the football was cruelly snatched from us, we were on an upward spiral and always do well after the split.  No doubt it has been a remarkable season for Livi but there was just no stopping the mighty Saints on their quest for Europe. 

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Joking aside,  I reckon we were a stick on for at least 5th. We were about to pump Hibs to go 6th anyway before the football was cruelly snatched from us, we were on an upward spiral and always do well after the split.  No doubt it has been a remarkable season for Livi but there was just no stopping the mighty Saints on their quest for Europe. 

He seems to have forgotten the final game of the season where we brushed Livingston aside without them threatening at all for 90 minutes.

We started the season with a handicap, yet still wouldve qualified for Europe. Some team.

Must be some amount of drugs floating about the Fair City(Letham/Muirton),can I have some please?

No danger Saints would have caught the Lions,yeah our record against St.Johns Town fc isnt great but our home form would have seem us no lower than 5th,oh by the way,5th is where we finished.

Edited by Whitburn Vale

20 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Must be some amount of drugs floating about the Fair City(Letham/Muirton),can I have some please?

No danger Saints would have caught the Lions,yeah our record against St.Johns Town fc isnt great but our home form would have seem us no lower than 5th,oh by the way,5th is where we finished.

Letham? Muirton? Fucking please leave that shite out, some right "characters" from those very deprived areas.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Letham? Muirton? Fucking please leave that shite out, some right "characters" from those very deprived areas.

I know I'm regularly in St.John's Town and in both areas from time to time,but that dosnt change the fact,5th was Livi's all week long and twice on a Sunday sweetheart.