Livingston - all the threads merged

33 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Sorry but I'm actually a little concerned that some of this reads like the player has already been approached by Motherwell and decided to leave.

Surely statements like "he can easily be replaced" and there are "many in front of him in the pecking order", whether accurate or not, can hardly help with the player confidence.

As far as I am concerned Rickie is still a Livi player until I hear something more concrete to the contrary. Maybe he will decide to leave although, currently, we really don't know who we'll have in the team come the summer.

McMillan has consistently been in this positing for the past three seasons (I think) but still manages to get a start even if its not guaranteed every game.

At no time did I write anything saying he could easily be replaced, not sure where that’s came from and it’s general knowledge that there are players now in front of him, that’s not derogatory that’s just fact. 

Its my understanding he is keeping his options open and hasn’t signed a new deal with the club, all signs lead to one thing. 

Good luck to him.

Edited by andylivi1

Actually good thing for us that he isn't a first choice starter, with us having a chance of competing with Motherwell for a European place this is exactly the sort of thing that could unsettle a player, the cynic in me is a bit suspicious of the timing of it all. Wonder if Aberdeen will also put it out there they're after one of our players. 

Lamie is a fine squad player and truthfully I’d much rather he was retained than Lithgow, given he can cover centre half and left back. Would be quite disappointed to see him go as he’s perfectly adequate at this level for most games. No doubt that Brown, Guthrie and Ambrose are better players, though, and he’d be on a far better wage at Motherwell than anything we would ever offer.

Main priority’s got to be retaining Lawless; losing him would be a monumental blow.

4 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

At no time did I write anything saying he could easily be replaced, not sure where that’s came from and it’s general knowledge that there are players now in front of him, that’s not derogatory that’s just fact. 

Basically it was my reading of the statement:

I’m very confident we could replace Ricki with someone alike or better heading into next season.

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

Basically it was my reading of the statement:

Again as I stated before that, our ability to find players of good quality to come into the team has been a massive part of our success recently, and I am confident we could bring someone in of the same ability or better. 

It doesn’t make him easily replaceable, recruitment is never easy but I’ve got confidence that we could do that, I don’t think what I’ve wrote was unfair on Ricki. 

Edited by andylivi1

9 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

Again as I stated before that, our ability to find players of good quality to come into the team has been a massive part of our success recently, and I am confident we could bring someone in of the same ability or better. 

It doesn’t make him easily replaceable, recruitment is never easy but I’ve got confidence that we could do that, I don’t think what I’ve wrote was unfair on Ricki. 

I'm not having a go at you but I do think that such details didn't need to be added into the article.

You have to remember that this isn't a post into a friendly environment with limited readership but a submission to the national press. Rickie will undoubtedly read what you wrote about him but also will his family; friends, neighbours, colleagues; team mates and that bloke down the pub. Unfortunately, in the national press, positive stuff gets glossed over whilst negatives get blown up out of all proportion. Personally if asked for comments on a player, that were going to be published, I'd recommend focusing on the positives and leave the negatives unsaid although your "what he lack in pace he more than makes up in strength" is an excellent way around it.

However "When he has played recently he’s been prone to the odd loose ball or error of judgement, perhaps due to lack of confidence or more down to the on-going speculation regarding his future" really is conjecture. Only one person knows for certain whether he's suffering from a lack of confidence or whatever.  It certainly wont be pleasant for his family to read.

It may seem like I'm nit-picking but I  personally made a huge mistake more than 45 years ago ; when I made some unguarded comments to someone who turned out to be a journalist. Within 48 hours those comments had appeared in the Daily Mirror and not burred on page 30 but ON THE FRONT PAGE.  My comments were taken completely out of context but were worded in a particular way so that they caused maximum hurt to people that had looked after me and to a very fine organisation.

As such I would strongly recommend reading and rereading anything that is sent to the vultures. Remember its a hostile environment and not social media.

Anyway I'll say no more on the matter.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

I'm not having a go at you but I do think that such details didn't need to be added into the article.

You have to remember that this isn't a post into a friendly environment with limited readership but a submission to the national press. Rickie will undoubtedly read what you wrote about him but also will his family; friends, neighbours, colleagues; team mates and that bloke down the pub. Unfortunately, in the national press, positive stuff gets glossed over whilst negatives get blown up out of all proportion. Personally if asked for comments on a player, that were going to be published, I'd recommend focusing on the positives and leave the negatives unsaid although your "what he lack in pace he more than makes up in strength" is an excellent way around it.

However "When he has played recently he’s been prone to the odd loose ball or error of judgement, perhaps due to lack of confidence or more down to the on-going speculation regarding his future" really is conjecture. Only one person knows for certain whether he's suffering from a lack of confidence or whatever.  It certainly wont be pleasant for his family to read.

It may seem like I'm nit-picking but I  personally made a huge mistake more than 45 years ago ; when I made some unguarded comments to someone who turned out to be a journalist. Within 48 hours those comments had appeared in the Daily Mirror and not burred on page 30 but ON THE FRONT PAGE.  My comments were taken completely out of context but were worded in a particular way so that they caused maximum hurt to people that had looked after me and to a very fine organisation.

As such I would strongly recommend reading and rereading anything that is sent to the vultures. Remember its a hostile environment and not social media.

Anyway I'll say no more on the matter.

Fair enough, point taken, just don’t think what I’ve said is in anyway derogatory to Ricki, just an honest assessment of a player who has been a solid player for us over the last couple of seasons. 

Fwiw, I don’t think Ricki will be a Livi player next season. 

Providing the interest payments are low*, this sounds like a good idea. Speading ST payments over 4/10 months, for anyone struggling to pay it all in the one go. Think there used to be an option for paying ST's in 3 or 4 instalments many moons ago.

Livingston Football Club is pleased to announce that as of the 2020/21 season, supporters will be able to purchase season tickets on a finance agreement due to a new partnership with V12 Retail Finance*. 

*They'd have to be lower than a patg price comparison anyway, or there would be no incentive for getting a ST in the first place.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

21 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Providing the interest payments are low*, this sounds like a good idea. Speading ST payments over 4/10 months, for anyone struggling to pay it all in the one go. Think there used to be an option for paying ST's in 3 or 4 instalments many moons ago.

*They'd have to be lower than a patg price comparison anyway, or there would be no incentive for getting a ST in the first place.

Actually there's an incentive to me in that I retain the same seat that I've had for many moons

7 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Just as well they didn't go to ATLIS for a comment then.😂

I've actually worked in journalism anyway :D I'd rather folk were honest and gave their opinion (easier on here I guess) rather than trying to please folk. 

Lamie has been a good rotational squad player for us but will never really make the grade in the 1st team. I was saying the same about McMillan before but he's really stepped up, as has Sibbs the last 9 months. We want players that want to fight, push and better themselves. I'm not saying Lamie hasn't done that but he's had plenty of time to break into the team and show why he should be here. He's 27 in the summer so he's hardly a youngster learning the game. McMillan by comparison only turned 22 in December.

4 hours ago, Durnford said:

Actually there's an incentive to me in that I retain the same seat that I've had for many moons

Ive sat in the same seat since day one.And will never give it up.Like yourself Durnford price doesnt come into it for me fortunatly but i appreciate some fans may find it difficult to pay up front in a one,r.If it gets more bums on seats then that,l do for me.God knows we could do with expanding our fan one way or another.

Sat in the East stand to start with, moved to the West stand when we got promotion to the top flight the first time round, and have moved back a row 3 times till I got far enough back to avoid getting wet when it rains. I like being as close to the halfway line but not too fussed how far back I sit. Usually sit right up the back in cup games when you can sit where you want. Pretty safe getting a seat where you want anyway, not exactly selling out the west stand apart from when we play Celtic or Sevco.

Anyhoo, still say it will be under the PaTG or a waste of time getting a ST, majority of fans get the ST for the savings on individual PaTG prices, that's how they sell them too, telling you how much you'll save.

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I've actually worked in journalism anyway :D I'd rather folk were honest and gave their opinion (easier on here I guess) rather than trying to please folk. 

Lamie has been a good rotational squad player for us but will never really make the grade in the 1st team. I was saying the same about McMillan before but he's really stepped up, as has Sibbs the last 9 months. We want players that want to fight, push and better themselves. I'm not saying Lamie hasn't done that but he's had plenty of time to break into the team and show why he should be here. He's 27 in the summer so he's hardly a youngster learning the game. McMillan by comparison only turned 22 in December.

Yeah, I guess you have to be a bit diplomatic when doing podcasts and getting access to interviewing players too though, or they wont want to talk to you if they read you slagging them off.

In the scale of things I was more gutted seeing Halkett and Gallagher leave, but i'd still like Lamie to stay, still think he's a usefull squad player. 

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah, I guess you have to be a bit diplomatic when doing podcasts and getting access to interviewing players too though, or they wont want to talk to you if they read you slagging them off.

In the scale of things I was more gutted seeing Halkett and Gallagher leave, but i'd still like Lamie to stay, still think he's a usefull squad player. 

That’s the thing though, without going into it too much more cos it’s done now, I honestly don’t see anything that is slagging him off, It’s an honest assessment of a player, I understand in written work some people read things differently to others so guess I live and learn haha. 

Edited by andylivi1

Changing the subject again I see we've signed an American goalkeeper. I'd heard he was arounf in December/January but had assumed he'd gone home - maybe international clearance hold-up?:

Livingston FC is pleased to announce the signing of 18-year-old, American goalkeeper Brian Schwake.

Brian joins us from DePaul University in Chicago having graduated from Prospect High School and will wear the number 30 shirt.

The young stopper has been training with the first-team for three months now and is very highly rated amongst the coaching staff.

Whilst continuing to train with the first-team, Brian will get minutes under his belt playing with the reserve side with a potential loan spell on the cards for a competitive edge too.

We’re sure it won’t be long before we see Brian in and about the first-team on match days.

Welcome to Livingston, Brian!

That’s good we’ve another promising ‘keeper contracted to us. Also can’t help but think Huddersfield will see Schofield as being capable of much more than warming the bench for Livi.  That said, he can’t get competitive football for another club since this seasons window shut now, right?