Livingston - all the threads merged

11 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Unfortunately, experience of supporting Livi, shows that that kind of thought process normally ends in tears.

Last season we were safe and then proceeded to get two points from our remaining five games.  Okay; there were a lot of team changes but it was still a case of foot well and truly off the pedal.

Yeah we went into a lull after the winter break too though, and haven't done so this season. Gallagher and Halkett were on PCA's after the split and our tempo dropped off in the last 5 games. Different squad, and scenario this season, huge couple of games coming up which could massively lift our season into another level. This Livi team just keep on surprising us and taking us places we never thought possible, so it just really wouldn't be a shock if they did the impossible again this season. Either way it looks like we'll be securely in the Premiership for another season, so job well done again for Holt/Martindale and the team.

We'll end up drawing with Motherwell then losing to County now .:ph34r:

Not sure about Tony Watt just looking at his stats. He seems to have had a lot of clubs for someone who should be in the middle of his career. Also a lot of the loans appear to have been terminated early. I suppose St Johnstone supporters might have a better idea but, on paper at least, he looks a downgrade on Hamilton.

Then again stats don't prove everything; as I recall Dykes figures weren't that great before he joined us; largely due to his primary role as a provider at QoS. By contract though Watt is significantly older.

I agree with Menga Bus; at the age of 26 he's almost certainly not going to be happy with a place on the bench in case Dykes gets injured.

Some thoughts on Souda from me here because others were commenting on him in the Accies match thread and it sparked my own thinking on him. First off, what he did after his substitution last Saturday doesn't interest me all that much. Some onlookers think they can read into the personal character of a player from what they see on the pitch. Words like "attitude" are trotted out and Steven Thompson on Sportscene called Souda's actions "selfish".  For me, this is futile because we're completely guessing as to what motivates a player's actions . Besides I fully trust Holt, who will know the full facts, to judge correctly and sort out any issues.

Souda's limited playing time this season has been for tactical reasons. Both Souda and Lawless are wide attacking midfielders who will drift in more centrally at times. They both function as the primary chance creators, looking to assist goals with the final pass or indeed score themselves. At the start of the season, Holt seemed happy to go with two players in midfield fulfilling this role. But he then changed his mind and decided it was wiser to accommodate only one, unless it was against weaker opposition. Players roaming from their position as both Lawless and Souda do, can mean holes in your defensive formation if possession is then turned over and the opposition counter attacks, so it's wise to limit how many of your attackers are given that roaming licence against strong opposition. The form of Lawless had been so spectacular that Souda lost out. That has seen Lawson and more often Robinson being given the left attacking mid slot against stronger opposition.  Earlier in the season Holt also tried putting a natural left footer in the position as an attempt to get crosses in to Dykes, Lawless and Erskine were both tried out, but it didn't work and I don't see that tactic being reverted to again. 

I've read complaints about Souda losing possession in games. What I'd say there is that as the apex creator in midfield, that's a burden such players must carry. They necessarily take more risks in possession because their job is to open up defences. That includes dribbling with the ball either to drag opposition defenders out of position to open up space for other attackers, or by dribbling past those defenders to eliminate them entirely from the phase of play. This doesn't always work. Lawless was tackled while in possession multiple times against St Johnstone as it seemed the St Johnstone players had been primed with the knowledge that Lawless favours cutting back onto his left and they continually read that. Despite this, Lawless had a good game overall and the times his risky dribbling or passing did work, it came off great.

Regarding Lawless, it's possible he won't be here next season. I desperately hope he will be but he might not be. Souda could then take on more importance for us, given that his role is so similar to Lawless. So I was happy to hear Holt's measured and sensible comment on Souda after last Saturday's match.

22 hours ago, Durnford said:

Not sure about Tony Watt just looking at his stats. He seems to have had a lot of clubs for someone who should be in the middle of his career. Also a lot of the loans appear to have been terminated early. I suppose St Johnstone supporters might have a better idea but, on paper at least, he looks a downgrade on Hamilton.

Who's Hamilton?

Watts the best all round striker we've had since May left after the cup win, barring Steven MacLean. I'd have him back and starting for us without question. He missed a few sitters but that happens at this level.

His attitude with us was perfect, a total professional. He didnt sign a new deal with us when it was offered, as he was seemingly made aware of the Sofia interest, and ended up dropped as our manager decided to try out the other strikers with a view to the next season, yet never took the huff.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Who's Hamilton?

Watts the best all round striker we've had since May left after the cup win, barring Steven MacLean. I'd have him back and starting for us without question. He missed a few sitters but that happens at this level.

His attitude with us was perfect, a total professional. He didnt sign a new deal with us when it was offered, as he was seemingly made aware of the Sofia interest, and ended up dropped as our manager decided to try out the other strikers with a view to the next season, yet never took the huff.

Thanks for the update.

To be honest he's probably about four times beyond what we'd be able to afford. That being said both Lawless and Erskine joined us and you took a couple of ours on loan so maybe the gulf in wages isn't as great.

8 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Thanks for the update.

To be honest he's probably about four times beyond what we'd be able to afford. That being said both Lawless and Erskine joined us and you took a couple of ours on loan so maybe the gulf in wages isn't as great.

We couldnt compete with what he was offered by Sofia.

Watt's stock may not be what it was around his time at St Johnstone though, which would give us more of a chance to interest him, or players like him, we've shown we can bring in players who have found themselves in a rut and boost their profile to get a bigger move again.

On Souda, whatever his frustration was at being subbed he obviously handled it wrong, Holt's giving him a day to cool off and think about his actions before speaking to him, hopefully that time will have made him realise his mistake and go into that meeting with Holt in the right frame of mind. His attitude in that post match discussion will no doubt determine Holt's actions, on what to do with him.

From a fan's perspective we surely just want what's best for the team, if Souda is disrupting the mood and fantastic attitude within the team, thinking as an individual rather than part of a group, then he'll have to change or move on. However if he's accepting whatever Holt has to say and wants to keep playing as part of the team then fine, use that frustration to play better within the team and move on from it.

Personally I hope he plays on Saturday, Souda, Pittman & Lawless have looked a really good midfield 3, however Robbo is also a fantastic player for us when he's on his game and will no doubt come on as a sub, which means either Souda or Lawless will be the one going off for him. Both of them get subbed quite regularly in games, Souda will just have to see that him being taken off around the 70 min mark isn't a reflection on his performance, it's as FF said, a tactical change.

Perhaps part of the blame (for want of a better word) of Souda's frustration, is Holt not explaining to players why they're being subbed so often, just to clear the air and making sure nothing is festering, that's part of a manager's job, to man manage players and keep everything running as smoothly as possible within the team/squad.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

11 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Alan Forrest on a PCA is apparently done. I don't think there is any need to add him to the squad before the end of the season given the depth we have in the forward areas.

Just hope Sevco dont come sniffing around for Dykes now that Defoe is crocked. Heard they were interested not long ago.Cant wait till the deadline is closed tommorow night.

16 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Alan Forrest on a PCA is apparently done. I don't think there is any need to add him to the squad before the end of the season given the depth we have in the forward areas.

So was Clum's, it's only as done a deal as the integrity of the player signing it makes it. Or the club for that matter if he picks up an injury before signing a proper contract with us. Was it a PCA Dykes was on last season or did we properly sign him up and then give him back to QotS on loan?

4 hours ago, Troy.1995 said:

Just hope Sevco dont come sniffing around for Dykes now that Defoe is crocked. Heard they were interested not long ago.Cant wait till the deadline is closed tommorow night.

Middlesbrough also interested and ready to 'swoop' in for him, along with Jones from Sevco. 

The Riverside outfit have been in the market for a target man with the likes of Sam Cosgrove and Lawrence Shankland linked with moves.

However, Dykes appears to be the latest player in the cycle. Dykes is the cheapest option among the trio and Boro are considering a late swoop for the forward.

If we sell him and don't get him back on loan it'll end any chance we had of finishing above Aberdeen in 4th place, and a possible European spot, hoping the club have the ambition to see that. 

Also far from certain we'd finish in the top 6 without Dykes, which would be a big loss of income in prize money, plus the bigger away crowds it would get us.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

27 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

So was Clum's, it's only as done a deal as the integrity of the player signing it makes it. Or the club for that matter if he picks up an injury before signing a proper contract with us. Was it a PCA Dykes was on last season or did we properly sign him up and then give him back to QotS on loan?

We signed him and loaned him back.

8 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Middlesbrough also interested and ready to 'swoop' in for him, along with Jones from Sevco. 

If we sell him and don't get him back on loan it'll end any chance we had of finishing above Aberdeen in 4th place, and a possible European spot, hoping the club have the ambition to see that. 

Also far from certain we'd finish in the top 6 without Dykes, which would be a big loss of income in prize money, plus the bigger away crowds it would get us.

He's on a decent length of contract so there's no hurry to sell him.

9 minutes ago, orco said:

He's on a decent length of contract so there's no hurry to sell him.

Hope so, just makes me nervous with how stupid we've been in the past with talented players we've had, not getting the best deal we could for them. Albeit we had right fuckwits/crooks as owners back then.

We really shouldn't be selling him half way through a great season that has potential to get us a top 6 spot, and even a European place. At the very least we should be doing what QotS did, and getting  him back for the rest of the season on loan. Like you said Orco, we've got him on a lengthy contract so no need to panic and sell him to the first bidder.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER