Livingston - all the threads merged

12 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Ciaran Brown spotted in the recent video just shared by the club, back up CB or LB loan signing for the rest of the season would be the obvious reason? 

Thought he did okay for us on the last loan period - had kind of expected him to make the move permanent in the summer due to Halkett and Gallagher leaving and no prospect of getting a permanent place with Cardiff first team. Wages wise he's probably out of our league though.

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

He's classified as an attacking midfielder isn't he?

Seems a bit strange as attacking midfielders are certainly one area we're not short off at the moment with Lawless; Robinson; Crawford; Sibbald; Tiffony; Erskine; Souda; Henderson plus others; not forgetting Menga and De Vita as well of course.

At 23 I imagine he'll be wanting a regular first team place; Sibbald is 23 in May an only just starting to get a regular start (although, to be fair, he has had more than his fair share of injuries).

If he does come to us (and we're able to afford the valuation) a loan back would probably be the best for all parties concerned. That being said, if Dundee United are really interested, their potential budget will far outstretch ours. 

You're stretching it calling Crawford an attacking midfielder, may as well chuck Marv in there, he's actually scored a goal for us.;) Forrest seems to be one that can score goals, so prob be classed above most of those in an attacking sense, more of a Lawless type player. Although was quite surprised to hear Erskine say he was a goal scorer, certainly hasn't shown it at Livi.

Yeah I think a loan back is the only way we'd be able to get him with Utd also wanting to sign him, they've also got a couple of ex Ayr players that he'll maybe be friends with too. As you say, we're not exactly desperate for midfielders just now, although hopefully he'd be able to balance the wings up playing opposite Lawless, giving us a more potent goal threat, but we'd manage till next season with Lawson looking decent getting down the wing just now.

1 hour ago, andylivi1 said:

Ciaran Brown spotted in the recent video just shared by the club, back up CB or LB loan signing for the rest of the season would be the obvious reason? 

Can't say I was struck by his defensive qualities, certainly not as a FB, was a bit better playing CB but didn't seem great in the air.

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

Seems a bit strange as attacking midfielders are certainly one area we're not short off at the moment with Lawless; Robinson; Crawford; Sibbald; Tiffony; Erskine; Souda; Henderson plus others; not forgetting Menga and De Vita as well of course.

For me the biggest piece of business we could do this window would be getting Lawless to sign beyond the summer. I definitely think we should look to improve our attacking threat on the wing opposite him so I'm encouraged we are looking at a player in AM. I don't see Menga or De Vita featuring regularly for us again if at all. The Glen Middleton chat was also interesting as I remember a few instances of him running with the ball and thought he looked tricky. 

Edited by crispy

27 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Can't say I was struck by his defensive qualities, certainly not as a FB, was a bit better playing CB but didn't seem great in the air.

Remember most of the time he was standing in for Halkett who'd been in that position for three years and was fully settled. When he came in as a replacement it generally also coincided with Lithgow cutting his teeth on being Captain which also had a negative impact on the defence whilst he struggled to step up initially.

Brown didnt exactly set the heather alight but I don't think he disgraced himself either. That being said I'm not sure he would automatically take a position ahead of Jack McMillen.

28 minutes ago, crispy said:

For me the biggest piece of business we could do this window would be getting Lawless to sign beyond the summer. I definitely think we should look to improve our attacking threat on the wing opposite him so I'm encouraged we are looking at a player in AM. I don't see Menga or De Vita featuring regularly for us again if at all. The Glen Middleton chat was also interesting as I remember a few instances of him running with the ball and thought he looked tricky. 

Lawless' extension is absolutely critical. It's strange to think how much he seems to have improved this season.

Last year he was little more than a squad player; now he runs about for the whole game (or as long as he's on the field) like a sixteen-year-old. Gawd knows where he gets his energy from but the way he continually harries the opposition defence from one wing to another, never leaving anyone in peace, always thinking ahead - he's been a total revelation this season and must almost be one of the first names on the team sheet now.

5 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Lawless' extension is absolutely critical. It's strange to think how much he seems to have improved this season.

Last year he was little more than a squad player; now he runs about for the whole game (or as long as he's on the field) like a sixteen-year-old. Gawd knows where he gets his energy from but the way he continually harries the opposition defence from one wing to another, never leaving anyone in peace, always thinking ahead - he's been a total revelation this season and must almost be one of the first names on the team sheet now.

I think he was an important last year as well but he was out of position; and didn't he play almost every game? Big fan here.

On current form/fitness, first names on teamsheet: Guthrie, Bartley, Pittman, Lawless, Dykes.

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

He didn't impress me last time round.

3 hours ago, crispy said:

I think he was an important last year as well but he was out of position; and didn't he play almost every game? Big fan here.

On current form/fitness, first names on teamsheet: Guthrie, Bartley, Pittman, Lawless, Dykes.

Yeah he was a bit hamstrung last season having to be mindful of his defensive duties as a wingback, maybe that has added something to his game too, being better at tackling for the ball. This season he's had 'the shackles taken off', and the freedom to get down the wing as an attacking midfielder, his assists and goals have him up there with Dykes as a PoTY contender. Bit disappointed in Pittman as I thought this would also have been his season for banging in the goals, but his injury def had an impact on his season. Hopefully he'll get in on the goals the 2nd half of the season.

Lawless, Dykes and big Jon Guthrie have certainly stepped up to the plate to take up the slack left by Halkett and Hardie leaving.

9 hours ago, Durnford said:

At 23 I imagine he'll be wanting a regular first team place; Sibbald is 23 in May an only just starting to get a regular start (although, to be fair, he has had more than his fair share of injuries).

If he does come to us (and we're able to afford the valuation) a loan back would probably be the best for all parties concerned. That being said, if Dundee United are really interested, their potential budget will far outstretch ours. 

Menga will never be back in the UK. I don't get why Livi fans continually obsess about him

I'm unsure on Brown tbh, but he's out of contract in the summer so if he does well then we're in prime position. Honestly didn't think he was up to much last season and forgot he existed but we were comparing him to Halkett and Gallagher back then so maybe in comparison to this season's squad he looks better, or more of a fit.

32 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Menga will never be back in the UK. I don't get why Livi fans continually obsess about him

I'm not sure how mentioning him once is "obsessing" about him but as far as I am aware he's contracted until 2021 and his loan to the Angolan side expires this summer although he hasn't really appeared for them much at all.

To be honesty he's probably in the same boat as De Vita i.e. there are so many others in front of him in the pecking order he'll probably not play for the first team again unless its as an 80th minute sub.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

I'm not sure how mentioning him once is "obsessing" about him but as far as I am aware he's contracted until 2021 and his loan to the Angolan side expires this summer although he hasn't really appeared for them much at all.

To be honesty he's probably in the same boat as De Vita i.e. there are so many others in front of him in the pecking order he'll probably not play for the first team again unless its as an 80th minute sub.

Not so much you but on Facebook, Twitter etc all we see is folk wanting Menga back as if he was actually decent. He signed a new deal to go out on loan but he'll be off in the summer, it's just about getting someone to pay a fee for him.

Anyway in today's friendly with Ajax B side we had three trialist. One was Brown but the other two are a bit of a mystery.

One was put on in place of Lawless so assuming we were doing like for like then the trialist was probably an attacking winger or possibly a forward.

The second replaced Pittman so I guess he was central midfield although he could have been another defender allowing Jacobs to move out of defence.

All in all I'm only guessing but I suspect they were either defenders; midfield or forwards.... pretty sure they weren't goalkeepers.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Not so much you but on Facebook, Twitter etc all we see is folk wanting Menga back as if he was actually decent. He signed a new deal to go out on loan but he'll be off in the summer, it's just about getting someone to pay a fee for him.

I liked him, scoring against Sevco and Hearts helped, but it was his all round craziness that won me over, unpredictable and rag dolled defenders. Did a decent job giving us an out ball when we were struggling for a target man with Hardie being out injured for months. Not a patch on Dykes but I still think he'd be useful. Can see why folk would want him back.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Anyway in today's friendly with Ajax B side we had three trialist. One was Brown but the other two are a bit of a mystery.

One was put on in place of Lawless so assuming we were doing like for like then the trialist was probably an attacking winger or possibly a forward.

The second replaced Pittman so I guess he was central midfield although he could have been another defender allowing Jacobs to move out of defence.

All in all I'm only guessing but I suspect they were either defenders; midfield or forwards.... pretty sure they weren't goalkeepers.

The ref sounded like a right dick, wonder if he was Scottish. Handing out cards in a friendly and allowing free kicks 15 yards further forward and offsides against us to be taken inside our own half.

37 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

The ref sounded like a right dick, wonder if he was Scottish. Handing out cards in a friendly and allowing free kicks 15 yards further forward and offsides against us to be taken inside our own half.

I think the managers both had a word with him at half time as no further cards appeared for the rest of the game.

On 08/01/2020 at 12:56, crispy said:

Could be waiting till the last day of the winter training camp to ply him with drink and get him to sign an extended contract.:guinness😂

On 08/01/2020 at 22:26, LIVIFOREVER said:

That's literally in the rules to be fair. It's where the player touches the ball, not where he was when it was struck.