Livingston - all the threads merged

10 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

For the most part, our budget only allows us to sign other teams' cast-offs so that'll always make a glowing appraisal unlikely.

Yeah but we were meant to be signing players that would improve our team, ones better than what we've got.

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah but we were meant to be signing players that would improve our team, ones better than what we've got.

I was meaning to build on what orco had put about Byrne and Dunfermline fans. It can be applied to Guthrie and Walsall fans. Sibbald and Crawford are, I think, the only players Holt has been able to sign where their previous club would otherwise have kept them. Every other signing has been out of contract and was ditched by their last club so fans of that club are unlikely to give a positive reference.

Edit: Sibbald was pre-Holt, actually, but in the last two seasons just him, Crawford and Lamie have not come off the "scrap heap".

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

I was meaning to build on what orco had put about Byrne and Dunfermline fans. It can be applied to Guthrie and Walsall fans. Sibbald and Crawford are, I think, the only players Holt has been able to sign where their previous club would otherwise have kept them. Every other signing has been out of contract and was ditched by their last club so fans of that club are unlikely to give a positive reference.

Actually I think Cameron Blues; Lyndon Dykes and Scott Tiffony would all have been kept by their former clubs to name but a few - but conversely they were all kids/young talent and the chance of playing in the premiership would have been a huge draw for them.

Devlin was offered a new deal at Walsall too but I see what FF is saying, just have to hope the management team have got it right.  

Devlin has prob been our best signing, and Souda has potential to be an excellent signing, and signing Bartley was a great piece of business, so they are doing no bad for the most part with their signings..

I'm confident that we still have easily the smallest budget in the division. The management team are clearly doing something right. They can't all be winners, the occasional Wylde is inevitable, but we've made some cracking signings for cheap in the past few years.

This year, early signs suggest that Devlin, Souda and Bartley are top 3. Dykes is solid. Crawford looked decent in the Betfred. Savane could be anything, and Pepe will learn. I'm happy with the summers business. Another striker would be lovely though.

Plus of course we managed to sell a number of player over the summer period:

• Cadden
  • Byrne
  • Kelly
  • Van Scheik - nominal fee plus sell on.

Not sure if we got anything for Halkett or Gallagher - probably not as both were out of contract.

An apparently are due money for Menga as part of his loan agreement although that seems to be taking an age to come through.

Commercially I would say that was none too shabby considering none of them cost us anything.

Have I missed anyone?

• Cadden
  • Byrne
  • Kelly
Not sure if we got anything for Halkett or Gallagher - probably not as both were out of contract.
An apparently are due money for Menga as part of his loan agreement although that seems to be taking an age to come through.
Commercially I would say that was none too shabby considering none of them cost us anything.
Have I missed anyone?
I'd imagine we've also saved some money on the wages of the other guys out in loan; Rafa and Hamilton etc

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:
5 hours ago, Durnford said:
  • Cadden
  • Byrne
  • Kelly
Have I missed anyone?

I'd imagine we've also saved some money on the wages of the other guys out in loan; Rafa and Hamilton etc

Pity we couldnt get young Jack back,would give Lyndon someone beside him.He is a Striker after all.God knows we need one.Frustrating.

3 hours ago, Troy.1995 said:

Pity we couldnt get young Jack back,would give Lyndon someone beside him.He is a Striker after all.God knows we need one.Frustrating.

Maybe get him back in Jan if he does well at QotS.

The Motherwell game we couldn't score but kept a clean sheet, the St Johnstone game we score 2 goals and had the chance of a 3rd from the pen spot but missed it, so goals weren't the problem there it was conceding them. Plenty time to get things sorted at both ends though, was a silly mistake by Keags that cost us at the weekend. so not really any major issues.

Maybe get him back in Jan if he does well at QotS.

The Motherwell game we couldn't score but kept a clean sheet, the St Johnstone game we score 2 goals and had the chance of a 3rd from the pen spot but missed it, so goals weren't the problem there it was conceding them. Plenty time to get things sorted at both ends though, was a silly mistake by Keags that cost us at the weekend. so not really any major issues.
Don't hold your breath, he looks out of his depth at this level. A significant downgrade on Dykes.

Still very early days though so hopefully he can find some form soon. Knowing our luck he'll find it in December and be recalled in January.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Don't hold your breath, he looks out of his depth at this level. A significant downgrade on Dykes.

Still very early days though so hopefully he can find some form soon. Knowing our luck he'll find it in December and be recalled in January.

I'd say he was a different type of player to Dykes...even to the likes of Miller for us. He's drawn some comparisons to Ryan Hardie's style of play in the past so I think he'd work well with Dykes. Has a bit of pace about him considering his size.

Edited by Cptn Hooch

Yeah he's more of a goal scoring striker than a target man, but he doesn't seem to be doing too well on the goal scoring front from his last 2 loan moves in the Championship. Scored more in the Premiership for us before being put out on loan. Still a teenager though so a few years to develop yet.

No idea if it's because he's being used differently at Alloa/Queens than he would be here.

I see him as a poacher and probably the kind of player we'd actually be looking for alongside Dykes; assuming he could improve on his shooting a little bit (as much as he gets himself in the right positions, most of his shots tend to be weak and easy for the keeper to save - even a lot of the goals he scored at Penicuik/Berwick just bobbled along the ground into the bottom corner.)

Aberdeen with a late equaliser taking their game to ET now, c***s, we'll have to wait another 40 odd minutes now, for their ET and fannying about between halves. Or will they just make the draw anyway and have Aberdeen/Dundee as one of the options?

Edited by LIVIFOREVER