Livingston - all the threads merged

Byrne's fan club founder aka LiviLion21 disappears and Steve Lawson Hood Rap comes on the scene to slag Stevie Lawson off and keeps mentioning how great Shaun Byrne was, hmm...……….

Regardless, Byrne is away now, he's last season's news. I don't know what the score is with Lawson not playing but I couldn't really complain about that starting line up on Sat, but if Lawson was fit then i'd have had him on the bench.  On paper Keaghan and Bartley were fine for holding mids to allow the 3 amigos to support Dykes, and they got 2 goals and almost another from Pittman, so no complaints there. 2nd half though Keags lets us down and gave St Johnstone a way back into the game, so imo he should be dropped against Forfar and someone else getting a chance. Ideally Lawson if fit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Byrne was not, and is not good enough for us. Great player and a huge servant to us in our rise through the leagues however he's too slow to play Premiership football. Letting him go and getting money for him was always a great deal for us absolutely. Like for like, we lost him for Bartley, and it was a great swap. 

11 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

When we have 6 subs and no defenders on the bench? Mental.

That's why I'm not believing this talk of Lawson not being picked. There's no proof besides some rumours on here that he's homesick but there's proof that he wasn't 100% fit after his knock in the early games. Holt doesn't strike me as the type to leave a fit player out when he doesn't have a full bench.

We couldn’t afford to offer Byrne an acceptable deal because we also had Lawson in that role, and Lawson (wrongly in my opinion) was preferred to Byrne. Regardless of the Byrne v Lawson debate on who the better player is, having Lawson there made it a lot easier to offload Byrne in the summer. Lawson isn’t much use right now as he’s a want-away player, so it’s a real kick in the teeth. It’ll be a lot easier to take if Lawson were actually playing.

We offered Byrne a new deal in January with a 50% increase in his wages. Byrne didn’t wanna be here, probably cause he knew Gallagher, Halkett and Kelly were all away.

Really shouldn't have searched him on Twitter, not getting much rating from Walsall fans at all. Sounds like a bit of a carthorse truth be told.

1 minute ago, Shaun De Bruyne said:

We offered Byrne a new deal in January with a 50% increase in his wages. Byrne didn’t wanna be here, probably cause he knew Gallagher, Halkett and Kelly were all away.

Really don't know it was an attitude thing with Byrne in the end or if Dundee genuinely are just firing relatively silly money at everyone. In a strange sense if Byrne had kept his spot nailed down following New Year and hadn't lost out to Steve Lawson I'd have actually banked on him taking up the captain's armband. It's a funny game at times.

Over and done with now, guy's earning a decent wedge at a level he's proven himself at, and good luck to him. I'm a bit more concerned how Steve Lawson's went from one of the most impressive performers (if not the most) since the turn of the calendar year to nowhere near the match day 18. If he's injured fine and dandy, give him time to recover, but you'd be foolish to suggest a player of his talents isn't in this side on merit.

So, Saturday...

Great opportunity to progress given that it’s opposition from a lower league. We are so early in the season that I feel like we might stick with the same team for continuity. If McMillan and Lawless have knocks then it’s a chance to see Tiffs on and maybe the big Guthrie gets a debut with Lamie at LB (assuming Pepe injured)?

Guthrie was Crewe's POTY a few years back, a lot of experience at a level those down south say is above Premiership level. Afaik Walsall had a pretty shit season last season so would hardly rate their opinion on players that got them relegated. 

8 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Guthrie was Crewe's POTY a few years back, a lot of experience at a level those down south say is above Premiership level. Afaik Walsall had a pretty shit season last season so would hardly rate their opinion on players that got them relegated. 

As far as I recall they also had a pretty low opinion of Devlin so who knows.

At 6' 3" he's pretty tall and will be of use for the long throw ins;  that being said he seems to have been central to a defence that leaked 71 goals last season and 66 the year before.- however that doesn't seem abnormally high for the league. Walsall's goals scored seems to have been their real problem however; only AFC Wimbledon scored less.

A two year contract for a 27 year old with an option for a further year seems a little odd - but then again Lithgow hardly set the heather alight when he joined and now he's club captain so lets see.... I suppose the question is whether he's here as cover or as a replacement?

I think most Walsall fans were sad to see Devlin go.

I made the point yesterday that there are so many players that have a bad season in England/Scotland then are good in the other. Hopefully he is an example of this.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Read this about Guthrie.

What are Livi getting with the signing of Guthrie?

Guthrie is a left-footed centre-back who can also fill in at left-back and is a consistent player that has been a regular for both the Alex and Saddlers over the last 4 seasons (he’s missed just 24 league games during that time).

As far as his play style is concerned, he’s a defender that looks to keep it simple and play the ball short to a teammate rather than bring the ball out from the back, even if he’s playing at full-back.

Another no nonsense defender then, i'll take that, complete opposite of what Pepe looked like, so less chance of us giving the ball away in defence.