Livingston - all the threads merged

8 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Never tweeted about him before but defended him on here, haven't seen enough of him to see why he gets such a hard time (his limited playing time being out of position for example), but there's obviously something there as the coaching staff don't rate him enough to even use him as a sub.

He can go f**k himself now, I take Twitter very seriously.

Greg Wylde got married in June didn't he; as such I expect he got excused the "boot camp" pretty much the same way as Keaghan got excused on the birth of his child?

Last season was a bit strange with new players walking straight into the first team even if they didn't currently possess the required level of fitness. We saw it with Erskine; Lawson; Odaffin and others. I appreciate we had a problem with injuries on an already small squad by Premiership standards but really that was one way of being sure the new players didn't stand out.

I still think Wylde can come good but, having looked at how the midfield has been strengthened I wonder if he can reach the heights and, more importantly, consistency to unseat the guys ahead of him. 

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah if you don't do the pre season training then you're effectively behind everyone else in terms of fitness, and from what I've read, you never quite catch up.

Some do - Keaghan missing mid season boot camp didn't do him any harm but for others like Dylan Mackin are lucky to get a spot with Stirling Albion

I see livvy are playing tranmere in a closed door game at st andrews on saturday.
Anyone have details as I think I'll take it in. Will presumably be on the unis astro or one of their grass parks so will not be private.

2 hours ago, superbigal said:

I see livvy are playing tranmere in a closed door game at st andrews on saturday.
Anyone have details as I think I'll take it in. Will presumably be on the unis astro or one of their grass parks so will not be private.

Closed door match I believe. 

Have followed you guys since the championship win and wondered how you think you will get on after losing Byrne, Halkett and Gallagher?

Would love to see you get in the top six and wind up all the idiot pundits who wrote you off as a long ball team.

19 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Have followed you guys since the championship win and wondered how you think you will get on after losing Byrne, Halkett and Gallagher?

Would love to see you get in the top six and wind up all the idiot pundits who wrote you off as a long ball team.

There’s no getting away from it; the loss of Kelly, Halkett, Gallagher, and Byrne will be big. 

I think we have been moving away from the long ball style so I don’t expect that comment to be directed our way as often. Generally, I felt we were pretty toothless up front last season largely due to injured forward players; I’m quite excited at the prospect of having young, hungry guys (Dykes, Tiffoney, Trialist C) and, to an extent, Erskine playing this season. The shackles will be off Lawless also so he’ll be pinging some shots in, i hope. 

Edited by crispy

18 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Halkett is the biggest loss of the lot, absolutely huge player. For me he's the best Scottish CB in the Scottish Leagues, if not in general. Will break into the Scotland team with Hearts without a doubt.

Gallagher is a great player and a mainstay in our back three, we relied on him to drive with the ball and get forward. Huge loss but IMO not irreplaceable.

Byrne was amazing for us, really lovely guy and one of my favourite all time Livi players but faded out the team from January and couldn't get back in, not a huge loss for us IMO

No idea, to be honest. There's no way we'll get top six. I think it's far more likely that we'll be battling down the bottom. We've recruited fairly well so far and should have enough to survive but we need to add a goal threat. Halkett, Gallagher, Kelly and Byrne (to a lesser extent) are huge losses but we've retained others who were big performers last season. Looks like Pittman isn't going anywhere and he's a huge player for us.

Our being written off at the beginning of last season did indeed highlight a surprising level of ignorance amongst the pundits. But it also helped us massively. We took everyone by surprise and the points we picked up in first half of the season were crucial in helping us stay up. We won't have that element of surprise this time round so it will be a bigger challenge for Holt. I'm excited, but expecting a much more nervous season than last where we were cruising towards the end.

Hearts got a steal with Halkett I agree he will go onto play for Scotland. Gallagher was an absolute unit also, very effective.

Dykes should fit Livvy quite well and splits opinion. He’s a handful and underrated imo.

Yeah Halkett will be the biggest miss, he covered Dec a lot when he bombed forward, and also for when Dec was caught for pace in defence. 

Dec was great at nudging forwards off the ball and generally being a physical presence, also for Lithgow's throw ins, getting the flick ons for Halkett to score with. I think Devlin will replace him for the forward runs though, so at least we shouldn't miss that part of him not being here.

Kelly was great in goal, not sure how much the protection he got from our defence had to do with the amount of clean sheets he got though, still did well for us anyway.

Byrne is prob the one we'll miss the least, the amount of cover we have in midfield even made it difficult for him getting back in the team last season after his suspension was up, and we've added another couple of players there for this season.

The long ball analogy was just lazy journalism, though tbf by the time we got to the play offs most of the pundits and journalist actually did proper research on us and recognised that. 

Difficult to tell how we'll do this season, a lot will depend on how well we've done in replacing Dec and Halks, looks like we may go with a back 4 and maybe using the wings a lot more in attack too, so the change of players in the team could have forced us into changing how we play, which might help us in our 2nd season.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Halkett will be the biggest miss for me. One of the best in league for me and I think he will move on again from hearts. He’s got everything for a defender 

kelly will be a miss to but he got protected well by the players in front of him

declan Will be a miss also his forward runs and solid defending will be big loss

Byrne will 100% be missed. Look at the points we got with him in team compared to him not playing near end of season. I’ve heard He never played much because he never extended his deal. Poor considering he still had a year left.

14 minutes ago, Livilion28 said:

Halkett will be the biggest miss for me. One of the best in league for me and I think he will move on again from hearts. He’s got everything for a defender 

kelly will be a miss to but he got protected well by the players in front of him

declan Will be a miss also his forward runs and solid defending will be big loss

Byrne will 100% be missed. Look at the points we got with him in team compared to him not playing near end of season. I’ve heard He never played much because he never extended his deal. Poor considering he still had a year left.

Not poor at all, either sign or move on and let us get cash for him. No point in letting him go for free, we said the same to Kelly, either he signed or he wouldn't play which is why Stewart played the last few games.

Did anyone ever find out who the (three?) trialists were?

Salimo Sylla from Xanthi in the Greek Super League was one of the names mentioned, left sided defender. Not sure about the other two.

I still think we need at least two more in, particularly up front. Can see Dykes being a starter but we need that all-elusive goal scorer we desperately needed for most of last season.

1 minute ago, Afro said:

Salimo Sylla from Xanthi in the Greek Super League was one of the names mentioned, left sided defender. Not sure about the other two.

Cheers for that. It’s certainly an indication that we are on the lookout for another couple of players and there’s plenty of time still. 

IMG_1442.jpg

Barring any other major moves I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this is how we line up against Falkirk in a few weeks time. Obvious ones for me are that we likely need another LB in and someone else up front. Looking at that though, there’s alright depth I would say, midfield looks very strong though with guys who can play several positions across that five (Robinson, Pittman, Lawson).

8 hours ago, Afro said:

IMG_1442.jpg

Barring any other major moves I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this is how we line up against Falkirk in a few weeks time. Obvious ones for me are that we likely need another LB in and someone else up front. Looking at that though, there’s alright depth I would say, midfield looks very strong though with guys who can play several positions across that five (Robinson, Pittman, Lawson).

Need to swap Menga and De Vita over; Menga is more effective on the left and De Vita has a stronger right foot. Actually other than that it actually presents quite a strong picture of the squad to date.

It will also depend, of course, on whether we swap to a flat four defence of again try the three at the back with two wing backs which was so effective in the first half of last season but less so after Christmas.  Also think Dykes will definitely need someone up front along side him rather than relying on support from wingers and strong midfield but time will tell.