Livingston - all the threads merged

Would you have got much money for Gallagher? He's 28, has spent most of his career in the lower leagues and is of somewhat questionable character.

He's proven himself in the premiership and 28 isn't old for a Scottish footballer anymore. But even if it wasn't a huge amount it would have been something, which to a club like livi could be very important

Fucksake, that was completely out of the blue, never saw it coming.:o

Good luck to the big fella, he's been fantastic in attacking down the wing as he has been in defence.  Him and Halkett are leaving us with a huge hole to fill, they were part of a formidable bck three that won almost everything in the air .

2 hours ago, thruthenight said:

I feel like he’s as much of a loss as Halkett. Those two are going to be haaaaard to replace in the summer. #bringbacksaunders

:eek:

Wouldn't mind getting Buchanan back, looked pretty decent for us but was never going to get a regular place with our outstanding back 3 nailing down their positions.

7 minutes ago, Crawford said:

You guys are getting poached. First Halkett and now this.

Think Dec was first to leave, just took them longer to finally make it official.

At Least Aberdeen failed to get Scott Pittman, don't think Byrne will leave either, so hopefully with Kelly having another year on his contract he'll stay too, that about covers it for our key players that would be of interest to other teams. Only other would be Lithgow, but he's a bit older and prob has too much baggage to worry about being poached.

Yeah, I’ve seen a few comments today about this is being the start of the poaching. Honestly, I think this is the end of it.

Other candidates for poaching are:

Kelly - Id be surprised if he goes. Got a year on his deal, so he’d have to be bought. Who’s buying him that he’d be first choice for? He’s learned the lesson of what playing regularly will do for his career, he’s not giving that up.

Pittman - again, would need to be bought. Most likely to go, but seems to love it here. I’d be surprised. He’d go if Aberdeen quadrupled his salary, but as he’s signed 2 new deals this year then I don’t see that happening.

Byrne - again, seems to love it here. Could maybe see him going to Hibs for a wad of cash, but I’d say it’s a lot more likely that he’s our captain next year.

Who else might go? Lithgow’s not going anywhere at 31 with his limited premiership experience and his baggage. Menga has a year and won’t have as many suitors. Lawson perhaps if he keeps up his form, but we’d get a bigass wedge of cash.

I can’t see anyone else being poached. I think we’re probably ok. Replacing Gallagher and Halkett will be the hardest replacement job we’ve had to do in a decade, but I can’t knock our recruitment for the last few years. I’m excited to see what we look like next year.

Sad to see Dec go but with all the rumours going around it was always going to come out eventually that he was leaving. He’s been outstanding this season. Halkett and dec will be very tough to replace , they give so much to the team. 

Regarding the the players in contract , Kelly has a year left surely we must be trying to get him tied down to longer contract? He’s young keeper there will be teams sniffing around

pittman has signed a new deal but will that stop a team like Aberdeen making an offer for him. The club have been smart getting Pittman to sign new deal which will mean bigger fee.

byrne has been linked with a few teams in January and it’s also quite a worry that others  have extended contract and he still hasn’t. He would be a massive loss for us , he showed what a vital player he was for us at Celtic park last week. One I hope we can get signed up for another few years

Menga is one I think a team might take a chance on. He’s very unpredictable but he can be  unplayable at times. Wouldn’t be surprised to see someone try there luck.

what would a team need to pay for our players that are in contract? Will it be big money or will players have clauses in contract these days I don’t know how it works. Big rebuilding job for the management team in the summer.

20 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Yeah, I’ve seen a few comments today about this is being the start of the poaching. Honestly, I think this is the end of it.

Certainly of the freebies, I agree.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

It’s not nice seeing it confirmed but I’d settled on Dec and Halkett moving on a while ago. I’ve no doubt we’ve been lining up Halkett’s replacement for the past year so here’s hoping second choice is available too now  :lol: I’m not sure Brown is who we need. Not convinced on Lamie being a CB either.

Kelly and Byrne would be the two I’m most worried about going. Pitts tied down now it seems.

For me, it sounds like Dykes is going to do a better job up top than Menga. Wonder how many teams are sniffing around Dobbie? 

Edited by crispy

I always had confidence that Gallagher, Halkett and Lithgow would dominate in the air. Together they mopped up any high balls. I hope our recruitment team manage to get replacements who can do likewise.

Somehow can’t see anyone taking a punt on Menga; he’s been in and out of the team too much in the past six months, and hasn’t got a great goal return. I’d be intrigued to see him on the wing as opposed to up front, looked very good away to Motherwell and helped shore things up against Hamilton last week.

Biggest objective now for the management apart from signing new centre halves is getting Kelly tied down on a longer deal. If a silly offer comes in over the summer I’d be tempted to take it as opposed to losing him for nothing in 2020.

16 minutes ago, Afro said:

Somehow can’t see anyone taking a punt on Menga; he’s been in and out of the team too much in the past six months, and hasn’t got a great goal return. I’d be intrigued to see him on the wing as opposed to up front, looked very good away to Motherwell and helped shore things up against Hamilton last week.

Biggest objective now for the management apart from signing new centre halves is getting Kelly tied down on a longer deal. If a silly offer comes in over the summer I’d be tempted to take it as opposed to losing him for nothing in 2020.

Agree on Menga. Let's be honest, barring injuries, Halkett is leaving Hearts for a big club for several mill before his 3 year deal is up. They'll reap the sell-on out of that one.  Hopefully we can work in a sell-on for Kelly. 

I didn't watch the Motherwell game but based on what I saw in the Hamilton game, I'm surprised that people are saying he will be better as a winger than a striker.  Looks to have a terrible final ball which is crucial for non sanddancer wingers. 

I think our best bet is to continue playing him centrally to batter defenders and create space for our Pittman, Robinson and Hardie to score goals. 

18 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Can only assume that Motherwell followed the Livingston F.C. financial models of 2004 & 2009 to get the deal through.

Or the fact they have about 3,000 more home fans a week to finance deals? He's probably been offered £300-400 a week more.

22 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

I didn't watch the Motherwell game but based on what I saw in the Hamilton game, I'm surprised that people are saying he will be better as a winger than a striker.  Looks to have a terrible final ball which is crucial for non sanddancer wingers. 

I think our best bet is to continue playing him centrally to batter defenders and create space for our Pittman, Robinson and Hardie to score goals. 

Yeah and he never passes the ball when he gets surrounded by players,  I like that he is relentless in pushing on and taking defenders on but just once in a while I wish he'd pass the ball. His decision making for a final ball could def improve too, but I think it's all down to his unpredictability in not knowing himself what he'll do next that makes him an exciting and equally frustrating player to watch.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Or the fact they have about 3,000 more home fans a week to finance deals? He's probably been offered £300-400 a week more.

Don’t doubt they offered him an increased wage from his current contract, but I would be very surprised if we didn’t match what they offered or even improved on it. Halkett was a certainty to leave but I’d imagine the club would’ve tried as hard as they could to keep Gallagher.

Edited by Menga Bus