Livingston - all the threads merged

Why did Dykes not just sign a pre contract ?.

Livi paying a fee for him now then loaning him back to us why do Livi not just keep him now. 

I take it he will be on more money at Livi do Livi pay the extra money now or start in the summer signing a pre contract means he would have gone to Livi in the summer anyaway why do all this now 

Why did Dykes not just sign a pre contract ?.
Livi paying a fee for him now then loaning him back to us why do Livi not just keep him now. 
I take it he will be on more money at Livi do Livi pay the extra money now or start in the summer signing a pre contract means he would have gone to Livi in the summer anyaway why do all this now 

Because a pre-contract isn't as solid as an actual contract. Livi obviously really wanted him and our board were clever enough to not sell him unless we were given him back on loan.

Precontracts in Scotland aren't worth the paper they're written on. We learned that the hard way with Calum Elliot a couple of years ago. P***k.

Dykes is a decent signing. A little like an Aussie Menga. The pair of them up front together would be utter chaos. We'd never score, but it'll be a laugh.

Not fully sold on Odoffin. I know absolutely nothing about the boy, but I saw Cambridge v Northampton a couple of weeks ago and the level was pretty poor - and he didn't even get off the bench. Still, that's me making snap judgements while knowing nothing about the boy, lets see what happens.

Edited by thruthenight

38 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

We see a striker sent out on loan last week and another striker signed but immediately loaned back (Dykes was always a signing for next season I know this) but we REALLY need to be bringing in another striker.

Tiffoney will apparently be filling that role

8 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

We still need cover up front I think.
I also see Cammy Blues has come back from Brechin. Doubt we will ever see him in the first team. Very bizarre signing that one.

Been appearing regularly in the reserves and in the Vitesse game. Had thought he'd been on the bench a few times.

Actually thought he'd been on the bench a few time for the Betfred cup but it looks like I was wrong. Also thought he was younger than he actually is; will be 20 in April I believe (a year older than Matthew Knox?).

Also notice his profile picture still has him in the Falkirk strip; not a great motivator (although I suppose the same could be said for Ryan Hardie but that's a bit more understandable).

Edited by Durnford

14 hours ago, crispy said:

As an aside, and a general non-Livi moan, cannae be doin' with this buying tickets for away games from the stadium stuff. I don't live local enough to pop down on a lunch break. Any idea if the club shop/reception ever opens on an away match day? I could swing in before travelling to Motherwell, and grab the Tynecastle ticket, too. Otherwise I'll have to convince someone to start buying tickets for me and then handing them over outside the turnstile ... which might defeat the purpose but at least the away ground would know to expect me :lol:

The top flight of Scottish football seems to be behind other large scale scale events where you can produce an e-ticket and have been able to for years. Doesn't help the casual looking to take a punt on a Saturday... Moan over.

Its a fair moan.

They seem to only be able to handle tickets for 1 game at a time.  Slightly over a week to get your Hearts tickets is no where near good enough. I bet the Hearts sent them the tickets weeks ago.

Got to say I think we have had a blinder of a transfer window so far (probs jinxed it now since there is still 12 hours to go):

1. Hardie back

2. Not lost any players

3. New RB is meant to be good and an area that I def thought we needed better players

4. Dykes on a long deal with competition for him from other bigger clubs

5. Bit more decent depth (Wylde, Erskine, Brown)

6. As a bonus, looks like Tiffoney might be a decent player!

Happy Livi fan here and given me a moral boos before the Motherwell game at the weekend. MON THE LIVI!!!

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ve just signed Nicky Cadden on loan.

What’s he like?

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We’ve signed Nicky Cadden on loan, is he decent? 

Sometimes scores wonder goals sometimes ghosts through the game and don't expect him to do any sort of defending. Pretty rapid. Reckon he's a good player for championship teams.

45 minutes ago, Mpire said:

Sometimes scores wonder goals sometimes ghosts through the game and don't expect him to do any sort of defending. Pretty rapid. Reckon he's a good player for championship teams.

Tend to agree but that poses the question why is he going out on loan; still is a fairly regular from the bench.

I generally think there's two reasons that someone goes out on loan:

1. He's a youngster who needs game practice and would improve through regular game time/experience

2. He's not good enough for the team, or is unlikely to find himself in the team any time soon.

He's not a youngster by any stretch of the imagination but has put in reasonable performances whenever he gets the chance. Actually his last couple of performances have been almost up to his old standard before he got injured.

He'll do well at Ayr provided he feels motivated to do so else he'll play a succession of stinkers and will be returned early. 

Timing also seems a bit strange with the Motherwell game coming up but I suppose the window shuts soon.

Edited by Durnford

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We’ve signed Nicky Cadden on loan, is he decent? 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ve just signed Nicky Cadden on loan.

What’s he like?

Looked like he had a  confidence problem but halfway through last season everything just clicked with him after a good performance against Falkirk and he was pretty good after that.

Not sure he's good enough for playing in the Premiership but he showed he can cut it in the Championship when he's got the confidence to just go for it and take players on. If McCall can get that 'confident' Nicky Cadden he'll be a good signing for you.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Tend to agree but that poses the question why is he going out on loan; still is a fairly regular from the bench.

I generally think there's two reasons that someone goes out on loan:

1. He's a youngster who needs game practice and would improve through regular game time/experience

2. He's not good enough for the team, or is unlikely to find himself in the team any time soon.

He's not a youngster by any stretch of the imagination but has put in reasonable performances whenever he gets the chance. Actually his last couple of performances have been almost up to his old standard before he got injured.

He'll do well at Ayr provided he feels motivated to do so else he'll play a succession of stinkers and will be returned early. 

Timing also seems a bit strange with the Motherwell game coming up but I suppose the window shuts soon.

He's just turned 22 ffs.

He gets so much slack from Livi fans but is a pacey and tricky winger that can take a shot from distance, look at our goal v Morton last year in the 90th minute. Definitely a confidence player with a lot more to give, did well in that league last season so with more experience in it should be a good signing overall

39 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

He's just turned 22 ffs.

He gets so much slack from Livi fans but is a pacey and tricky winger that can take a shot from distance, look at our goal v Morton last year in the 90th minute. Definitely a confidence player with a lot more to give, did well in that league last season so with more experience in it should be a good signing overall

Do you mean Flack instead of Slack?

I wasn't actually slagging him off; he was good for us in the first and the start of the championship until he damaged his shoulder. After that he was really careful not to go in for that kind of tackle that could damage it again. For his appearances this season he's seemed a lot more assured and comfortable hence why I was surprised he was going out on loan.

Agreed; he did seem to get singled out when he would lose the ball when others did the same thing and hardly got mentioned.

Never thought much of him defensively but, given a bit of space on the wing, he can be very effective. Never thought much of him filling in the number 10 position though; thought Robinson was far more effective at that position if we were using an attacking midfielder.

At least Gregg Wylde seems to have taken the scapegoat title off him. As others have said, very much a confidence player, definitely looked a better player last season post-Falkirk and if it wasn’t for promotion I’d have expected him to kick on a bit more. Unfortunate for him that Lamie has come straight in and has been excellent, that said, thought he coped fairly well with the threat of Boyle when we played Hibs back in December. He’s never a defender but his defensive work is getting there, slowly but surely.

Hopefully goes down there and gets a good run of form behind him, definitely has potential tbf.

19 minutes ago, Afro said:

At least Gregg Wylde seems to have taken the scapegoat title off him. As others have said, very much a confidence player, definitely looked a better player last season post-Falkirk and if it wasn’t for promotion I’d have expected him to kick on a bit more. Unfortunate for him that Lamie has come straight in and has been excellent, that said, thought he coped fairly well with the threat of Boyle when we played Hibs back in December. He’s never a defender but his defensive work is getting there, slowly but surely.

Hopefully goes down there and gets a good run of form behind him, definitely has potential tbf.

It's funny how everyone sees things differently - I thought Boyle had him on toast that day. Tbf, Boyle is one of the best players in the league on his day, not sure that one's entirely down to Cadden.

With Ayr being top of the league, it might be difficult for him to get as much game time as he needs. Going out on loan is good for him I think, but I'd hate for him to sit on Ayrs bench as much as he was sitting on ours.

As everyone has said, confidence player, but when he's on it then he's unplayable at Championship level. Hope it works out. Lots of loanees to keep an eye on over the next few months.

It's funny how everyone sees things differently - I thought Boyle had him on toast that day. Tbf, Boyle is one of the best players in the league on his day, not sure that one's entirely down to Cadden.
With Ayr being top of the league, it might be difficult for him to get as much game time as he needs. Going out on loan is good for him I think, but I'd hate for him to sit on Ayrs bench as much as he was sitting on ours.
As everyone has said, confidence player, but when he's on it then he's unplayable at Championship level. Hope it works out. Lots of loanees to keep an eye on over the next few months.
Hoping that he clicks with Moffat and Shankland, if he feels confident playing with those two it could be an exciting signing right enough.