Livingston - all the threads merged

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Direct quote from John Ward on the Facebook group which I think clears near enough everything else

Not sure how this can work out unless they're looking at dispensing with salaried people.

That being said the statement from the SFA really confused me:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/project-brave-and-livingston-fc/?rid=13929

1 minute ago, Durnford said:

Not sure how this can work out unless they're looking at dispensing with salaried people.

That being said the statement from the SFA really confused me:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/project-brave-and-livingston-fc/?rid=13929

It's more so to do with putting coaches through badges and paying coaches but it seemed the biggest issue was the upkeep of the outside astro which wouldn't be used by the club now as they can train in the stadium

5 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

It's more so to do with putting coaches through badges and paying coaches but it seemed the biggest issue was the upkeep of the outside astro which wouldn't be used by the club now as they can train in the stadium

Club didn't pay for putting people through badges or at least they certainly never did. My son put himself through and volunteer to help in order to gain some valuable experience.  Most of the other assistant coaches were the same. As I recall they very rarely had a shortage of volunteers who had already completed most of their badges but needed practical experience.

Bit galling that we'll scrape a minimum prize money of £1.2m from this season even if we finish bottom, and can't even afford £40k to run three youth teams.

Again, it's not obviously a snap decision but there's more tangible benefits to a youth setup than simply churning out players to be sold on for a fee.

In the end some Livi fans will be bothered with this and others really couldn't care less - there's not much we can do.

However I'd say it's our job as fans to get behind the board and trust their judgement and that it's in the best interests of the club

Would like to see a breakdown of the costs associated with running such a youth setup. I imagine the Project Brave stuff has limited the amount of funding available from the SFA and consequently has had a knock-on effect. Ultimately, we’ve not sold a player on for a good number of years and even at that, the majority of these players were all picked up from other academies at a relatively older age. If it’s about young people having the chance to play football in West Lothian then surely the Youth Foundation provides that?

I’m assuming this decision wasn’t taken lightly, so it’s somewhat disappointing this has been sprung upon the players and parents. I don’t think it’ll have been as brutal as a text message across the board as the article makes out but I’m guessing it’s just been announced without much notice. Disappointing but if there’s no benefit financially then what’s the point? The current transfer policy across the board seems to be picking up players released from bigger clubs and/or forging out a career at a lower level. I can’t see that changing.
If there's no financial benefit them what is the point?

What a depressing attitude you have of your club.

If there's no financial benefit them what is the point?

What a depressing attitude you have of your club.

So if we shell out tens of thousands of pounds a year at a youth system which has produced sweet f**k all in the past 5 years, what is the point? The more pertinent point here is why we haven’t had any return on our outlay in recent years.

So if we shell out tens of thousands of pounds a year at a youth system which has produced sweet f**k all in the past 5 years, what is the point? The more pertinent point here is why we haven’t had any return on our outlay in recent years.

Investing in the community, surely. Connections with families that can help sustain the club in the long run.

And your point about failing to produce quality players is a good one. Questions have to be asked, and possibly changes made.

I'm not even suggesting that this was necessarily the wrong call by the club. I don't know enough about it.

But there's certainly more to it than just a profit/loss scenario.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Investing in the community, surely. Connections with families that can help sustain the club in the long run.

And your point about failing to produce quality players is a good one. Questions have to be asked, and possibly changes made.

I'm not even suggesting that this was necessarily the wrong call by the club. I don't know enough about it.

But there's certainly more to it than just a profit/loss scenario.

Not sure there is, John Ward is very much a hard nosed businessman that looks at cost effective measures to make sure we have the best chance of not repeating past mistakes which led to 2 admins. So far he's done a really good job so i'm not going to criticize him for this.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Back to football ...

Thought we were reasonably lucky to get away with a point on Saturday (against a decent enough Kili side though). Thought our midfield were great, need a bit more creativity upfront.

Hopefully can get a win over Motherwell on Saturday to build confidence (would also be good to see a few other get a run-out, Lithgow included)

45 minutes ago, Mpire said:

Back to football ...

Thought we were reasonably lucky to get away with a point on Saturday (against a decent enough Kili side though). Thought our midfield were great, need a bit more creativity upfront.

Hopefully can get a win over Motherwell on Saturday to build confidence (would also be good to see a few other get a run-out, Lithgow included)

Didn’t think we were lucky to pick up a point at all, it was a nothing game with two pretty evenly matched teams who cancelled each other out, felt we had the better of the first half and then the 2nd, draw was the fair result. 

I think Lithgow might play tomorrow night for the colts along with Stewart in goals and perhaps McMillan, think we are allowed 3 over age players aren’t we ? Add in Knox, Blues and Hamilton we might actually have a decent side out to watch tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, tirso said:

2500 at a premier league game.  bit disappointing I have to say.  and it looked like a fair few killie fans were there.

did Livi not used to get a decent crowd back in the day?  what happened?

We sold 4000 season tickets in our first outing in the Premiership (or SPL then) but a series of dodgy owners resulting in two administrations and a series of court cases put paid to all that. 

We're rebuilding but base on actual achievements now rather than pie-in-the-sky ideals.

4 minutes ago, tirso said:

2500 at a premier league game.  bit disappointing I have to say.  and it looked like a fair few killie fans were there.

did Livi not used to get a decent crowd back in the day?  what happened?

What happened is the people who were going along for nosiness more than anything else, decided to give the club a swerve when the bad times came along (and they've had plenty of opportunity to do that). Whether they went back to their big clubs, or just don't bother at all anymore, is anyone's guess.

The club have a hard core support of between 800 - 1000 and they should be applauded rather than denigrated. 

12 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

What happened is the people who were going along for nosiness more than anything else, decided to give the club a swerve when the bad times came along (and they've had plenty of opportunity to do that). Whether they went back to their big clubs, or just don't bother at all anymore, is anyone's guess.

The club have a hard core support of between 800 - 1000 and they should be applauded rather than denigrated. 

we had 1,300 there on Saturday

14 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

was asking not denigrating. 

losing 3 thousand people from a gate.  just thought given the feel good factor in Scottish football at the moment a good proportion of them would come back.  it's probably worth trying to work out why they haven't.  

9 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

we had 1,300 there on Saturday

That's what Killie announced but there were only just over 1000 in the East Stand so maybe the rest were in hospitality?

Each of the blocks holds just under 250 and there were four blocks almost full with a chunk in the corner. Maybe there were a lot in the Killie pie queue? :whistle