Livingston - all the threads merged

Cracking kit. Think the home one would have looked better with black shorts. Don't know if that's just me though.
You're not alone there...the site states the shirt is a throwback to the first SPL shirt. Would have been nice to see the black shorts too....saying that...two very nice kits

Quite a rubbish picture but what on earth is Kelly doing that far out. Resulted in a goal for Airdrie. Obviously not good enough and has lost us goals.  Shocked we had Maley on the bench and not the new boy we just signed. 

C1659BAE-B8FA-4649-A48F-8F676F506D5F.png

Edited by LiviLion00

1 hour ago, LiviLion00 said:

Quite a rubbish picture but what on earth is Kelly doing that far out. Resulted in a goal for Airdrie. Obviously not good enough and has lost us goals.  Shocked we had Maley on the bench and not the new boy we just signed. 

C1659BAE-B8FA-4649-A48F-8F676F506D5F.png

Some fans seem to have a bee in their bonnet about Kelly. Last season we had players who made mistakes and were left wanting defensively (some were even defenders) but the supports got behind the entire team...why does it seem to have changed?

Looking at the highlights, it wasn't a great pass from Byrne to Halkett but he still had time to deal with it. Got caught once or twice last season so will have to be careful against better strikers. That said, wouldn't want him changing his style of running out from defence in possession.

Pretty positive overall. There were a lot of Livi chances!

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Kelly wasn’t blameless but chance stemmed from Halkett’s mistake, simple as that. We need to sharpen up defensively and hopefully Tuesday will be a good test in that regard. A lot of chances created yesterday and on another day it could’ve been 5 or 6... Roll on Accies.

7 minutes ago, Afro said:

Kelly wasn’t blameless but chance stemmed from Halkett’s mistake, simple as that. We need to sharpen up defensively and hopefully Tuesday will be a good test in that regard. A lot of chances created yesterday and on another day it could’ve been 5 or 6... Roll on Accies.

If Kelly blocks the shot it'd be seen as a great starting position for him...he was unlucky, Halkett is solely at fault I reckon, should have just put his foot through it and send it up for BSLM to contest. Missed the game due to work but watching the highlights and K. Miller seems to be dropping deeper almost like a 10 which is allowing Pittman etc to push forward into scoring positions...we've got great goalscoring midfielders and it seems Kenny has taken note of this. Think we'll see goals evenly spread throughout the team again this season. Also nice to see BSLM get off the mark early this season, the only thing he lacked last season was goals but that was overlooked due to his work rate and ability to bring others players into the game. We're going to have a great strikeforce when Hardie is back.

Halkett was at fault for the goal but Kelly did himself no favours by his positioning. It wasn't a long ball forward so he never had a chance of intercepting. From the highlights of the QOS game and seeing the goal yesterday he needs to be wary of being caught out in no-mans-land. Overall a good first half performance and shakier second. Thought the midfield was solid, in particular Robinson, and Lamie had a very solid debut. Lots of positives to take away and should be set for the season to come after the Betfred Cup action.  

10 minutes ago, Fernandez Love Child said:

Halkett was at fault for the goal but Kelly did himself no favours by his positioning. It wasn't a long ball forward so he never had a chance of intercepting. From the highlights of the QOS game and seeing the goal yesterday he needs to be wary of being caught out in no-mans-land. Overall a good first half performance and shakier second. Thought the midfield was solid, in particular Robinson, and Lamie had a very solid debut. Lots of positives to take away and should be set for the season to come after the Betfred Cup action.  

TBF we were in possession so he'll have been pushing up to make himself available for a pass.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Livi twitter said Halkett was caught in possession. Seems harsh to blame Kelly.

Yep it wasn't Kelly's fault, we got caught in possession farting about with the ball and it will happen again if we keep playing like this. Our defence is passing the ball up to the midfield before looking for a long pass up to runners, or Lee Miller, and that means if we lose possession there the defence are all up in a high line leaving opposition strikers a clear path in a straight race to our goal. Halkett looked like he was stuck on what to do with the ball and hesitated for  few seconds, giving the Airdrie player the chance to run at him.

It's early days though and we've only played 2 pre season games and this Betfred one, the tougher game yesterday prob gives us a better idea on our weaknesses for us to learn from than had we gone 3 up and cruised it.

After seeing Kelly for the 2nd goal against QoS I was really worried about him, but yesterday he made a good save from a free kick and did really well with his kicking, the pitch was pretty bobbly and he dealt with every back pass put to him, there was one in particular that bounced awkwardly as a striker chased towards him but he coolly knocked it clear. All in all he was confident and assured dealing with pass backs.

Never once did I blame Kelly. All I’m saying is his positioning was poor and contributed to the goal. As you can see by the other picture he is outside his box near enough before anything has really happened. If he had stayed on his line and kept his cool then we maybe wouldn’t have lost the goal. It was a two on two situation and given Kelly hadn’t rushed out into no mans land then possibly we could have closed them down or even put enough pressure on the goal scorer for him to not just slot it past Kelly from about 3 meters away from the edge of the box. Terrible from Halkett and just as bad from Kelly In my opinion. 

4DB7A4A4-7C12-46E0-9B55-FC24B522DA54.png

3 minutes ago, LiviLion00 said:

Never once did I blame Kelly. All I’m saying is his positioning was poor and contributed to the goal. As you can see by the other picture he is outside his box near enough before anything has really happened. If he had stayed on his line and kept his cool then we maybe wouldn’t have lost the goal. It was a two on two situation and given Kelly hadn’t rushed out into no mans land then possibly we could have closed them down or even put enough pressure on the goal scorer for him to not just slot it past Kelly from about 3 meters away from the edge of the box. Terrible from Halkett and just as bad from Kelly In my opinion. 

4DB7A4A4-7C12-46E0-9B55-FC24B522DA54.png

Were you just going by a picture, taking the position of the players and keeper as they stood when the goal occurred though. In reality we were playing a high line, and keepers come out of their box to play as sweepers covering long balls hit over our defenders heads, that's what Kelly was doing. Wasn't his fault he got caught out with Halkett losing the ball, I think you're completely wrong blaming him here.

It is a flaw in our system, may well be one we can't do anything about keeper positioning wise, because had he stayed further back in his box and the ball gets knocked long he wont be as likely to cover it and will get stick for that too, but we can do something about defenders getting caught on the ball, that's where the fault lies.

7 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Were you just going by a picture, taking the position of the players and keeper as they stood when the goal occurred though. In reality we were playing a high line, and keepers come out of their box to play as sweepers covering long balls hit over our defenders heads, that's what Kelly was doing. Wasn't his fault he got caught out with Halkett losing the ball, I think you're completely wrong blaming him here.

It is a flaw in our system, may well be one we can't do anything about keeper positioning wise, because had he stayed further back in his box and the ball gets knocked long he wont be as likely to cover it and will get stick for that too, but we can do something about defenders getting caught on the ball, that's where the fault lies.

A picture from a video my friend. If you believe Kelly’s positioning was 100% fine then you clearly don’t know football I’m afraid. 

7 minutes ago, LiviLion00 said:

A picture from a video my friend. If you believe Kelly’s positioning was 100% fine then you clearly don’t know football I’m afraid. 

A picture doesn't tell you everything, as I explained in my post, he was covering the defenders playing a high line, you look at any game and you'll see keepers doing the same. Halkett losing the ball exposed Kelly, if you're blaming Kelly then i'm afraid you're just looking for an excuse to have a go at him and not being fair.

15 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

and keepers come out of their box to play as sweepers covering long balls hit over our defenders heads, that's what Kelly was doing. 

I forgot the ball was played over our defenders head mate! Thanks for clearing that up lol. Let’s be serious. Your point is correct he should be playing sweeper but was that the time to be one ? Definitely not. Was the ball played over our defenders head? Nope.. certainly was not. So please explain to me with all your knowledge and wisdom why on Earth he was outside his box and the player scored from about 2/3 meters away from the box? But I take it Liam moving into that position wasn’t his fault was it? Halkett picked him up and moved him to that position didn’t he ? Before he even lost the ball kelly was a few steps from being outside his box aka no mans land. 

4 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

A picture doesn't tell you everything, as I explained in my post, 

a picture from a video that I watched about 5 times. You that daft that you think I’m just looking at still images? You definitely sleep in a single bed mate. Without a doubt.