Livingston - all the threads merged

Yas the captain is staying!!! Great to carry over the solid defence from last season with the addition of a few backups. Good strong core to the team now. Striker is the next priority and maybe another keeper

Niiiice. Been a busy 24 hours for us:

1) Halkett resigning is outstanding. Only negative is that it's only a 1 year deal, but hey, the fact that he's signed at all is A+ business from the club.

2) Alexander retiring sucks. I wonder if there's been an incident in contract negotiations, he seemed very keen to keep going in interviews given just after promotion, and his farewell twitter speech didn't mention Livi at all. However it's gone, he's been a wonderful player for us, twice, and I wish him all the best. He's done some great charity work for Team Jak as well, he'll be missed.

3) Not sure I agree with all of the negativity around the potential hire of Kenny Miller. I'd rather him than Holt any day.  We got where we are through work ethic and making the most of the talent we have, and that pretty much sums up KMs career. Holt has a slightly sketchy reputation from his Falkirk days, and while I'd be happy for him to come in, I don't see him as an infinitely better than KM candidate.

Hey ho. Hopefully we'll hear more about a manager by the end of the week.

Edited by thruthenight

1 minute ago, thruthenight said:

2) Alexander retiring sucks. I wonder if there's been an incident in contract negotiations, he seemed very keen to keep going in interviews given just after promotion, and his farewell twitter speech didn't mention Livi at all. However it's gone, he's been a wonderful player for us, twice, and I wish him all the best. He's done some great charity work for Team Jak as well, he'll be missed.

Can't help but wonder if he's maybe picked up an injury somewhere and feels at his age he's maybe better going the coaching route...gutted to lose him as he was a big player for us but wish him well...maybe see him back at Livi again in a non playing role down the line.

2 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

I think I'm correct in saying that our squad (with the exception of Maley) have had their futures sorted now?

Think so. All we need now is a striker or two and we're looking good for the season ahead.

Crazy to think that we might have built the entire squad without a manager in place.

11 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Think so. All we need now is a striker or two and we're looking good for the season ahead.

Crazy to think that we might have built the entire squad without a manager in place.

Martindale has done a fantastic job, apart from Alexander retiring he's got everyone we really wanted, Mullin would've been nice to have but not essential, and Jacko was no great loss. Byrne and Halkett staying was outstanding work, if either had left we'd have seriously missed them, absolutely over the moon to have them both signed up, along with Lithgow, Pittman and Gallagher we've a great core to our team again.

We need at least 2 strikers now. And maybe dip into the loan market for another keeper.
I'm positive premiership rules state that we have to have 3 registered keepers.
At the moment that would be Kelly and Pettigrew. Doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm. We need another experienced keeper. Michael McGovern signed for anyone yet?

Majestic news. What an effort by the club to keep Halkett here for another year.

Provided he doesn’t move on in January, Halkett will have been here 3 and a half years come next summer. That in itself is an achievement on the club’s part.

A goalkeeper and two strikers? I imagine there will be a few more signings in addition to those positions when the manager is in place and they can assess trialists.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

A goalkeeper and two strikers? I imagine there will be a few more signings in addition to those positions when the manager is in place and they can assess trialists.

Goalkeeper and two strikers is probably the minimum tbh. Assuming we're sticking with the 3-5-2, and the squad list on the OS is up to date, the depth in our squad looks like this (tried not putting a player in multiple positions like De Vita who can play either side):

GK: Liam Kelly; Jordan Pettigrew
LWB: Callum Crane; Nicky Cadden
CB: Craig Halkett; Declan Gallagher; Alan Lithgow; Steven Saunders; Ricki Lamie
RWB: Jack McMillan; Raffaele De Vita
CM: Scott Pittman; Shaun Byrne; Keaghan Jacobs; Craig Sibbald; Scott Robinson; Matthew Knox; Cameron Blues; Jack Ogilvie
ST: Lee Miller; Dylan Mackin; Jack Hamilton; Kyle Sampson; Craig Henderson

So preferably extra bodies in goals, wings and up front. Sure the new manager will sort that though, if whoever it is wants to go for a flat back 4 then that means we'll still need another LB/RB in, looking forward to the next few weeks. Imagine Mackin and Knox will be out the door, if we can get any kind of fee for either of them I'd grab it and run. 

Edited by LiviLion

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Goalkeeper and two strikers is probably the minimum tbh. Assuming we're sticking with the 3-5-2, and the squad list on the OS is up to date, the depth in our squad looks like this (tried not putting a player in multiple positions like De Vita who can play either side):

GK: Liam Kelly; Jordan Pettigrew
LWB: Callum Crane; Nicky Cadden
CB: Craig Halkett; Declan Gallagher; Alan Lithgow; Steven Saunders; Ricki Lamie
RWB: Jack McMillan; Raffaele De Vita
CM: Scott Pittman; Shaun Byrne; Keaghan Jacobs; Craig Sibbald; Scott Robinson; Matthew Knox; Cameron Blues; Jack Ogilvie
ST: Lee Miller; Dylan Mackin; Jack Hamilton; Kyle Sampson; Craig Henderson

So preferably extra bodies in goals, wings and up front. Sure the new manager will sort that though, if whoever it is wants to go for a flat back 4 then that means we'll still need another LB/RB in, looking forward to the next few weeks. Imagine Mackin and Knox will be out the door, if we can get any kind of fee for either of them I'd grab it and run. 

Knox is only 18 mind - needs time to develop still. i think he was just in the spot light to early with everyone blowing smoke up his ar*e. He def needs to up his game though.

I'd let Mackin go - despite playing for a terrible side last year he still really struggled. Get him off the books.

Need another RB/RWB in my opinion (along with strikers). DeVita to old/not a WB and i'm not convinced by McMillan tbh. Could also let him go I think.

3 minutes ago, Mpire said:

Knox is only 18 mind - needs time to develop still. i think he was just in the spot light to early with everyone blowing smoke up his ar*e. He def needs to up his game though.

I agree I reckon he has a lot of potential and just needs the time to prove himself. Would be good to see him get some minutes as a sub in some games we are winning. Quite a skillfull player anytime i seen him. Just needs to take his game to that next level and gain some confidence. If we don’t keep him and try turn his game around for the better another team will and we will regret it in the long run I reckon.