Livingston - all the threads merged

Just now, Durnford said:

I was a bit mystified about the Ryder hype; as far as I can see he's done moderately well in  a country with less than half the population of Edinburgh which  has 76 clubs in four divisions and his last team is sitting third in the second tier. 

Seriously he may end up being great but I'm not sure his current pedigree would indicate anything more than a mid table 1st division side.

Aye but that small populated Country qualified for the Euro 2016 and humped England out the last 16.

Just now, Afro said:

My only fear regarding Hartson is that if he doesn’t get the job, I hope he isn’t put off and continues to coach here. Seems to be a very steady influence on the dressing room and could prove massive this season.

I think it was Martindale that approached him to  go for the job so I think there is a strong chance he'll get it.

Shaun Byrne with a good article this time: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/shaun-byrne-believes-promotion-premiership-12650286

“There were plenty of guys in that team who can play football and we scored some great goals and played terrific football at times during the season but for some reason that never really got noticed and we weren’t given the credit I felt we deserved.”

The Livi fans all knew the players played good football and were very appreciative of their skills, feck everyone else. Just go out and do it again this season Shaun, you'll be getting the same shite said about you again, so prove them all wrong again mate. :thumsup2

If Alexander and Halkett leave (I doubt Alexander will and I think Halkett would be foolish to leave now), would you not agree that you lot are fucked? That's like Dundee losing Rab Douglas and Gary Harkins in our club 12 season FFS.

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If Alexander and Halkett leave (I doubt Alexander will and I think Halkett would be foolish to leave now), would you not agree that you lot are fucked? That's like Dundee losing Rab Douglas and Gary Harkins in our club 12 season FFS.

Would depend who we replaced them with. Generally though it would be on a par (maybe worse) than when we found out Hopkin was leaving, and IMO it would be almost impossible to match their quality on our budget. 

All 3 CB's were massive for us last season, any one of them leaving would be a big loss. Expected Halkett to leave if we had still been in the Championship but hoping he'll stick around for a shot of the Premiership, same as Byrne has done. Alexander wants another season with us, i'm not really worried about him going elsewhere, and would think Livi will be wanting him for another season too. Buchanan was also solid for us when he came into the defence, hoping he stays too, he'd be a decent player to have when needed. 

Btw I can see where LL28 is going with his question, he wants Byrne to be captain. :thumsup2

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

DR saying we could be signing Liam Kelly on a 2 year deal "as competition for veteran Neil Alexander", which suggests they know he's staying. 

Or, more likely, they've linked a Rangers player to a random club and not bothered to check if Alexander is still under contract. 

29 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

DR saying we could be signing Liam Kelly on a 2 year deal "as competition for veteran Neil Alexander", which suggests they know he's staying. 

Or, more likely, they've linked a Rangers player to a random club and not bothered to check if Alexander is still under contract. 

Would be two excellent options, Kelly was one on my list of possible signings so would be very pleased with that. 

Yep, I think it would be a very good move. Kelly plays backup for a year learning from Alexander and is ready to step in when he retires.

He is already pretty good and would be a great set up from Maley.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

31 minutes ago, madton said:

Gregor Buchanan any good? Rumour has it we are signing him.

Didn't get much game time with us tbh - more of a squad player as we had better players than him in the team. He's ok - still young.

24 minutes ago, Mpire said:

Didn't get much game time with us tbh - more of a squad player as we had better players than him in the team. He's ok - still young.

At 28 i wouldn't really call him young in a footballing sense.

Actually I thought he was very good laying in an experienced defence.  It was the form of the rest of the CBs that limited his time rather than any real frailties. I'd like to keep him but appreciate at his age he needs to be assured a starting position.

Yep i'd say Buchanan is a good solid defender, he was reliable enough to come in when needed, or to shore up the defence in a tactical substitution near the end of the game to hang onto the 3 points. He got 2 Championship promotions last season, qualified for a winners medal with St Mirren before coming to us and winning promotion through the play offs. I'd be happy to keep hold of him but if it meant Halkett was staying and Saunders was back up then fair enough, can see why he'd want to move and get more chance of regular games with Morton.

Good move getting Kelly signed up if it happens, def needed better back up to Alexander at this level. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

57 minutes ago, Durnford said:

At 28 i wouldn't really call him young in a footballing sense.

Actually I thought he was very good laying in an experienced defence.  It was the form of the rest of the CBs that limited his time rather than any real frailties. I'd like to keep him but appreciate at his age he needs to be assured a starting position.

28! Christ thought he was early 20s! Def needs a move then if he's not going to play with us. Always thought he looked like he needed to beef up a bit -become more of a unit. Seems pretty scrawie!