Livingston - all the threads merged

1 hour ago, andylivi1 said:

Im not convinced Saunders will be a starter, I think he’ll be a squad player, I don’t think he has the pace for the top flight, no getting away from his experience though which is why I think it’s still a very shrewd signing. 

Only time will tell.

This. He failed to win a contract with us in pre-season before signing for Dumbarton where he did ok but hardly set the heather alight according to their fans before going to Wales. To be fair he was coming back from injury at the time and may be fitter now. 

Just now, ebobsboy said:

He had a 1 yr deal with the club holding the option to extend it for a further year. The Don being the nice guy that he is only wanted players who wanted to play for us. Sibbs after talks indicated he wanted to go so Hartley rather than hold him to the clubs deal and be mean said off you trot. 

That's the cleaned up version anyway, one for the gullible Falkirk fans to believe.

36 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

He had a 1 yr deal with the club holding the option to extend it for a further year. The Don being the nice guy that he is only wanted players who wanted to play for us. Sibbs after talks indicated he wanted to go so Hartley rather than hold him to the clubs deal and be mean said off you trot. 

Not convinced thats actually legal. It certainly wasnt 3 or 4 years ago when I discussed it with the SPFL Registrations Dept . It wasnt allowable for a club to have a unilateral extension option. A player's contract had to have a definite end date.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

This. He failed to win a contract with us in pre-season before signing for Dumbarton where he did ok but hardly set the heather alight according to their fans before going to Wales. To be fair he was coming back from injury at the time and may be fitter now. 

Scored the 89th minute equaliser that got Burchill sacked and Hoppy appointed manager, he deserves the benefit of the doubt imo.

That didn't answer my question though. How can you force a player to sign a contract?

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not convinced thats actually legal. It certainly wasnt 3 or 4 years ago when I discussed it with the SPFL Registrations Dept . It wasnt allowable for a club to have a unilateral extension option. A player's contract had to have a definite end date.

I don’t think it is either as we had a 1 year option on Harry Davis and even though we wanted to exercise it he didn’t..............so off he trotted.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Have you heard definitively or going by the social media post? Your usually on the button with these things so I'm hoping that continues

This one is a bit of guessing but I doubt Shaun would be posting that in regards to signing for another club. I'm fairly certain he's staying - hopefully announced over the next few days. 

I could, though, be horribly wrong and he's off to Pars or Falkirk or something but I doubt he would be posting that knowing how much he's been asked by us on twitter etc to stay on

11 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

This one is a bit of guessing but I doubt Shaun would be posting that in regards to signing for another club. I'm fairly certain he's staying - hopefully announced over the next few days. 

I could, though, be horribly wrong and he's off to Pars or Falkirk or something but I doubt he would be posting that knowing how much he's been asked by us on twitter etc to stay on

Thought it was Dundee Utd that was after him, obv took big Marv's advice and doesn't want to upset God so he's staying with Livi.

Is it possible for the mods to make typing 'Hopkins' when discussing David Hopkin a banning offence? It appears to be a mistake made exclusively by terrible posters, so it would be a great way to improve the overall standard of poster on the site.

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

County also had a situation where Martin Woods supposedly had a vesting option after a certain number of games.  He met it, but the club told him to sling his hook, and, after quite a bit of sulking by both sides,  off he did trot to do ever so well with Partick.  

In American sports there are player options (the player's choice), club options (the team's choice)  mutual options (both need to agree) and vesting options (based on appearances).  I'm guessing from what you say, options in Scottish football are all obliged to be  either player options or mutual options?  I can remember Dundee United in the 90s signing Alex Cleland or Gary Bollan  to a 2 year contract with a seven year club option (or something equally ridiculous), getting hauled up in front of the courts,  and that bringing an end to the club only options.

In theory, though, I don't have a massive problem with any kind of single-season option in a contract.