Livingston - all the threads merged

Just now, ATLIS said:

I think Mackin is too inconsistent and Toddy doesn't offer more than just pure hustle. We need a big guy that can play consistently and offer something new to the team. I think the secret would be playing Rafa up top to be honest but I doubt Hoppy will go for it

Yep Mackin has a decent strike rate from limited appearances though, maybe just needs a run of games starting, and someone regular to play alongside with, so both get to form a bond and know instinctively where one another will be, too much chopping and changing with our strikers. Not all of it could be helped right enough, with injuries, games postponed and then having to play midweek games, but imo we need to do the same up front as we have done in defence and midfield, play the same players all the time. Pittman and Byrne are part of a great midfield partnership, as is Gallagher, Halkett and Lithgow, and that is because they all play week in week out.

Yep Mackin has a decent strike rate from limited appearances though, maybe just needs a run of games starting, and someone regular to play alongside with, so both get to form a bond and know instinctively where one another will be, too much chopping and changing with our strikers. Not all of it could be helped right enough, with injuries, games postponed and then having to play midweek games, but imo we need to do the same up front as we have done in defence and midfield, play the same players all the time. Pittman and Byrne are part of a great midfield partnership, as is Gallagher, Halkett and Lithgow, and that is because they all play week in week out.

Mackin has had a run of games.
He's also had half a season now to get fit enough to last longer than 35 mins a game.
He was great for the first 35 mins at the weekend there. After that you could see he was knackered. Could barely jump for a header and that continued into the second half. He had some good touches in the second half but then couldn't move himself any slower to get up into the box.
He's an impact sub for us and no more.

We need a fit and quick striker. Personally I want Carrick to get more of a chance as he's very similar to Mullen. It might work or it might not but what we tried on Saturday and previous weeks aside from Dumbarton is not working.

Agree with the shouts above about Mackin being an impact player. His goal rate speaks for itself and when he’s on his game, his hold up play is an immense asset to the team. However, having two up front who were actually mobile aided in the high press we started the season with, now Mullen is gone and there’s no real preferred starting strikers, that’s gone. No doubt Mackin has improved in all aspects since he came here but it’s simple facts: he doesn’t possess the physical attributes to press effectively.

4 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

Mackin has had a run of games.
He's also had half a season now to get fit enough to last longer than 35 mins a game.
He was great for the first 35 mins at the weekend there. After that you could see he was knackered. Could barely jump for a header and that continued into the second half. He had some good touches in the second half but then couldn't move himself any slower to get up into the box.
He's an impact sub for us and no more.

We need a fit and quick striker. Personally I want Carrick to get more of a chance as he's very similar to Mullen. It might work or it might not but what we tried on Saturday and previous weeks aside from Dumbarton is not working.

What 3 games in a row starting, and with different partners in every game, nope that isn't what I was talking about in my post.

Whether it is Mackin getting regular starts or someone else, I just want to see us having a front 2 partnership so the same 2 players get to form an understanding that is 2nd nature to one another, knowing exactly where they'll be without having to look up. All this chopping and changing is exactly what we did the season we were relegated when White, Mullen, Buchanan and Sheerin got swapped about every game, and they were better players than what we have just now, which shows up even more that it would be better to stick to the same 2 players. Fortunately we've a better group of players throughout the team just now and others are picking up the slack for the lack of goals coming from te strikers, but it would be even better if the strikers started knocking in more goals.

20 minutes ago, Ayia Napa Daz said:

Absolutely mental how that article is all about her shagging a dog and not about her being a complete paedo scum

Her to the courts is the biggest transfer news in Livi all January

1 minute ago, billyg said:

I've heard we're trying to sign someone else from you , but there will be a fee involved. Any ideas ?

Halkett would make sense with Buchanan being off...

Have heard us linked with Josh Mullin as well, which would also make sense, as it would free Magennis to fight for a place in the centre.

6 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Halkett would make sense with Buchanan being off...

Have heard us linked with Josh Mullin as well, which would also make sense, as it would free Magennis to fight for a place in the centre.

Josh Mullin would be my guess, as im told he’s another that has said he won’t be signing a new contract in the summer and like Mullen we are looking to offload for a fee. 

Motherwell have also been sniffing about him the last season and a half. 

1 minute ago, andylivi1 said:

Josh Mullin would be my guess, as im told he’s another that has said he won’t be signing a new contract in the summer and like Mullen we are looking to offload for a fee. 

Motherwell have also been sniffing about him the last season and a half. 

Been impressed with him every time I've seen him.

No surprise Carrick is off. A terrific player in terms of running himself into the ground and harrying defenders, but his goal tally this season speaks for itself. He was never going to provide the outlay that we truly need for the second half of the season. Good luck to him, ideally we’ll be needing a guaranteed striker to come in now and hit the ground running.

Buchanan will be a good signing I think, saves Todorov filling in at CB and will probably be a starter once Halkett goes.

If Motherwell want to stump up for Mullin and Halkett, then they can batter on. As long as we get a very decent wedge for them I’ll be happy, if players don’t want to be here beyond the summer then I’d rather we got something for them than f**k all.

I think we need to seriously start looking to tie down our players. That’s Halkett , pittman , Byrne and Mullin all been linked with other clubs. Our team could be smashed apart for next season the way it’s looking 

If these guys think they have a chance of moving onto a bigger club then there's no chance they'll sign anything. Particularly the likes of Halkett who has been getting rave reviews.