The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Steamboat did alright I thought. He wasnt the Steamboat of old but I never expected him to be. That was exactly the match that I was expecting.

If we weren't going to get anything we didn't get at Wrestlemania ( which we didn't ) then this whole exercise was completely pointless and only went to tarnish the legacy of Steamboat, which was done no harm by his terrific showing at the last PPV and even on the show the night after.

That match should not have happened last night.

Quite surprised by this PPV, rather enjoyable. Edge/Cena match was a belter and was a much better match than the triple threat title match at mania involving 'Show'. Not really a bad match on the card and Steamboat coped well in his match with Jericho considering his age apart from making a c##t of the figure-four leglock.

Edited by YER SISTERS YER MAW

For those of you who heard the crowd at Backlash have a big reaction during the Hardy vs. Hardy match at the Backlash PPV live and then saw them get distracted, we received a few emails that there was a huge fight in the crowd, including someone getting knocked down a flight of stairs in the arena.

Apparently the fight pretty much killed any crowd heat live until Jeff Hardy went for the table, which the crowd had been chanting for.

From 24wrestling.com

They should have shown it on tv, would have been better than watching Jeff Hardy.

1st off, Christian winning the ECW Title was quality and seeing Edge n Christian together for the 1st time in a while was good to see also.

Aye, that "reeked of awesomeness". Also, I don't know who noticed, but Christian was one of the guys who checked to see if Cena was alright at the end. Logic~~~!!!

Steamboat coped well in his match with Jericho considering his age apart from making a c##t of the figure-four leglock.

I should point out that this wasn't an age thing. Steamboat, for as amazing as he is and was, has never had a clue how to lock that move in. :lol:

Santino is officialy one of the funniest characters ever in the WWE.

Indeed, but he was wasted last night. Definately turned into "same old shit" territory far too soon, but you have to love it when they rib JR. When he said JR, he made a sound which seemed to say "yeah, should have seen that coming". His hissy fit at Michael Cole was amazing too.

"My little slobberknocker."

The only thing missing from Backlash really was a divas match .... ( not for the wrestling ) and Shawn Michaels.

This Shawn Michaels absense has made me wonder. What the hell are they going to do with the man. They haven't seemed to do anything with The Undertaker since then either, even if he has been wrestling. He hasn't actually done anything.

Indeed, but he was wasted last night. Definately turned into "same old shit" territory far too soon, but you have to love it when they rib JR. When he said JR, he made a sound which seemed to say "yeah, should have seen that coming". His hissy fit at Michael Cole was amazing too.

"My little slobberknocker."

JR's reactions were the highlight of that sketch. Even prompted Cole to say 'When did you come out of the closet, JR?', only for JR to scowl back with - 'yeah, how is it in that closet Cole'. :lol:

JR's reactions were the highlight of that sketch. Even prompted Cole to say 'When did you come out of the closet, JR?', only for JR to scowl back with - 'yeah, how is it in that closet Cole'. :lol:

Aye that was absolutely class :lol::lol: .

Anyone else stayin up for Raw?

This Shawn Michaels absense has made me wonder. What the hell are they going to do with the man. They haven't seemed to do anything with The Undertaker since then either, even if he has been wrestling. He hasn't actually done anything.

The two of them have supposedly been fucked for a long time and after what they did at 'Mania it comes as no surprise to me that they aren't doing much. Michaels is off until June, back in time for SummerSlam and Taker is expected to take timeof later in the year.

I liked it when JR asked Cole "Who fed you that line?"

POTENTIAL SPOILERS....

So, is the Miz meant to be a heel or face? Does that mean Cena is scared of him?

On a deadly serious note, I want Miz to start ripping of Excalibur. I want him calling out wrestlers who will clearly not show up. From Cena to HHH, then on to Hawk from Legion of Doom to Dino Bravo.

Then he should start saying things like, "Bravo better be six foot under to avoid me!"

Going off on a slight tangent. Has anyone been watching Hogans Celebrity Wrestling? It is actually a good show from a fans perspective, slightly biased though from my love of Dustin Diamond :D

:huh:

Why did Cena not answer The Miz? It's straight out of Jericho/Goldberg territory. Have Miz challenge guys that are clearly not going to turn up, Cena, HBK, HHH, Nikolai Volkoff, whoever. He has a genuine dickhead heel to him. Like I say, why did Cena come out at the end but not to confront The Miz?

Why did Cena not answer The Miz? It's straight out of Jericho/Goldberg territory. Have Miz challenge guys that are clearly not going to turn up, Cena, HBK, HHH, Nikolai Volkoff, whoever. He has a genuine dickhead heel to him. Like I say, why did Cena come out at the end but not to confront The Miz?

To be fair since when did the WWE make much sense?

Over time fair enough. I mean whatever happened to the Kelly Kelly and Orton relationship? Did his wife not mind? But this is in the one show! They'll be pushing TNA for nonsense at this rate.

Watched a bunch of other stuff tonight.

The Basham Brothers vs. Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio - WWE No Way Out 2005

The Bashams were pretty big proof that charisma can go a long way. The Bashams were never bad wrestlers in WWE by any stretch, but what they didn't have was anything to get excited over. For all of the decent - good tag matches they had, including this one, they were so bland that you could never actually get into their matches. All sorts of good stuff towards the end from both teams, including the coolest hot tag ever as Rey runs The Bashams ragged. Also some nice innovation for the ending. Unfortunately, the boring first half was unforgivable. **3/4

Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit vs. Rey Mysterio and Edge - WWE No Mercy 2002

Have to take something away for the dead spots in the middle, but other than that, you're not going to get much better action in a tag team match than you got here. Some amazing double teaming, mainly from Edge and Rey, some fantastic counters. The interaction between Edge and Kurt Angle was usually phenomenal and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the match which made the WWE management think "this guy can be massive". Lets take nothing away from Benoit and Rey's performances though, which helped this thing move along at what seemed like 100mph. Must see. ****3/4

Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. - WCW Nitro 30/12/1996

Yahoo ! We're back to this fued, which was utterly amazing. It was rare that these guys had anything less than a great match, and I see no reason to expect anything less here. I guess you have to break the mould at some point. The dead crowd didn't help this one bit. I always love watching Malenko decimate someone though, whether it be Rey Rey or anyone else. The other thing was just how obvious the ending was. Neither man seemed to be building towards any sort of climax so when the bell rang, it was almost a mercy bell. Not a bad match, but not very good either. **1/2

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio - WWE Smackdown 06/01/2005

Free TV match, and this is one of them times when you KNOW it's free, as neither guy seems interested in bringing their A game to the match. Eddie and Rey, even on an off day, can put together a decent match but even that doesn't happen here. A bunch of disjointed nonsense. **

Mikey Whipwreck vs. Billy Kidman - WCW Uncensored 1999

Whipwreck was one of a number of guys who made the jump from ECW to WCW. Why did hardly any of the ECW big names jump to the WWE ? This was exactly the opposite of the previous two matches that I watched. Mikey Whipwreck wrestling like he was auditioning for a job for life, and Kidman being his usual awesome self at this time. This match wasn't going to turn out as anything other than really good. Mikey definately showed the crowd a lot and wowed them on many an occaision. There was definately nerves, which can be forgiven considering this was his first move into the big time. ***1/2

Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio - WWE Smackdown 02/06/2006

These two guys just seem to bring out the awesome in each other, don't they ? Kurt Angle was amazing at this time as the machine who didn't give a toss about anything other than dominating and beating the guy across the ring from him, and Rey was definately bringing the effort seeing as the WWE had trusted him with the top prize of Smackdown. I don't think he should ever have won the gold, but he certainly gave his all while he had it. The two men have wrestled better matches, but that's more of a praise for their other matches than it is a criticism of this one. Nice match here. ***1/4