The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

On 18/08/2021 at 17:56, Mark Connolly said:

He's pretty much the wrestling equivalent of a Sottish football journalist, except when he makes up a story, he bothers to claim "plans changed" rather than just ignoring the fact that there was no chance X player was ever signing for Y bigot brother.

Much the same with things like Sportsound, when they were the only place you could hear footballing discussion they had some value, but have since been shown up by the explosion of podcasts/online articles by folk much more articulate and knowledgable than them. 

Meltzer doesn't have anywhere near the power or clout he used to, when he would be one of the only avenues for wrestlers to get information out, and one of the main sources of behind the scenes info for fans. I'd imagine he's still well plugged in but he shouldn't be taken too seriously at this point. 

Full Sail has been future endeavoured.

An update on NXT's upcoming taping schedule.

According to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer, NXT's partnership with Full Sail University has ended and the Capitol Wrestling Center will be the long-term home for the brand.

NXT hasn't run in Full Sail since September 2020 as the university shutdown during the pandemic. Starting with NXT TakeOver 31, NXT has run out of the Capitol Wrestling Center. The brand started running its weekly television events at Full Sail beginning in 2012.

Fightful Select reported on August 15 that NXT would be taping upcoming episodes on Monday, August 23 and Tuesday, August 24.

According to Meltzer, the tapings are being done so there is time to make upgrades to the WWE Performance Center. Meltzer writes, "The belief is that on television, the show looks too dark, so the idea is to make the studio brighter with more lights and more colorful looking."

NXT is set to hold its TakeOver 36 event on Sunday from the Capitol Wrestling Center. You can view the scheduled lineup for the show by clicking here.

13 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Imagine you were right 😅

I'd be a little downbeat if I were now.

I'm very much a part time follower of wrestling, a bit of a Rumble to 'Mania type fan. I'm 35 and haven't watched it week in week out since I was about 17, but always kept an eye on what was going on.

Only 3 people since Stone Cold have got me deeply interested in it again within that time. 

• Daniel Bryan and the rise to being the top guy. I can't get enough of that type of stuff
  • CM Punk because he can talk AND wrestle. There's not many, if any, better than him on the mic. 
  • Grado. I'm not comparing him to the other 2 but his growth and build to the title in ICW was a thing of beauty and I was there when he beat Drew. Tears all round, brilliant stuff. It was obvious that was ICW at it's best right there though and we all know the demise and hopeful burial of it since then. But Grado and the story told were terrific. 

Khan is pretty much now just saying Punk is appearing tonight.

It's a shame that a debut like this wasn't able to be kept under wraps, but the amount of  buzz online around tonight's show is more than anything I think I've ever seen outwith a Wrestlemania.

42 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It's a shame that a debut like this wasn't able to be kept under wraps, but the amount of  buzz online around tonight's show is more than anything I think I've ever seen outwith a Wrestlemania.

Chances are for a lot people it still will be a surprise.

It's changed days with fewer people on the internet back then, but people knew about the Curtain Call and that Hall and Nash were coming. That the future radicalz had all quit and were going to the WWF. That Jericho was the Millenium Man.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

WWE may not give a shit about AEW but absolutely no way Vince will not be absolutely fuming if the focus is took off his biggest post empty arena event by one of the biggest come backs in recent wrestling history 

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I might be in a minority, but I think this is a bit shit.  Granted it's easy for me to say, but I think they've done it wrong.  Play it down, stay silent, don't hint anything, then have him come out as a complete surprise. Then if you want to run a show in Chicago for his big first proper appearance, fire in.  You'll sell every seat.  

If WWE are in this position, I think they handle it better (got to do something better...).  Am I being too harsh and this is just "different" rather than worse?

8 minutes ago, forameus said:

I might be in a minority, but I think this is a bit shit.  Granted it's easy for me to say, but I think they've done it wrong.  Play it down, stay silent, don't hint anything, then have him come out as a complete surprise. Then if you want to run a show in Chicago for his big first proper appearance, fire in.  You'll sell every seat.  

If WWE are in this position, I think they handle it better (got to do something better...).  Am I being too harsh and this is just "different" rather than worse?

Warner don’t like them doing surprises though (which I don’t agree with, it's a massive part of wrestling) - but they have to strike a balance. If CM Punk turned up on a show only 750k people were watching, the TV guys would be livid. 

17 minutes ago, forameus said:

You are being a wee bit harsh I feel. WWE have wrecked plenty of potential massive pop moments down the years. Though not them directly, Punk's return to the wrestling fold was handled similarly 2 years ago with loads of innuendo and 'will he won't he' because Fox wanted eyes on the show.

If the network gets wind of this happening then they definitely want as many eyes on the telly as possible. Punk is a huge deal and always will be, so they want to sell those slots to advertisers.

8 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Warner don’t like them doing surprises though (which I don’t agree with, it's a massive part of wrestling) - but they have to strike a balance. If CM Punk turned up on a show only 750k people were watching, the TV guys would be livid. 

Yeah, know what you mean.  Just feels like they could have dropped hints without basically saying "Charles M Punk is going to be here tonight guys, honest"

It'll still be a massive moment regardless.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

You are being a wee bit harsh I feel. WWE have wrecked plenty of potential massive pop moments down the years. Though not them directly, Punk's return to the wrestling fold was handled similarly 2 years ago with loads of innuendo and 'will he won't he' because Fox wanted eyes on the show.

If the network gets wind of this happening then they definitely want as many eyes on the telly as possible. Punk is a huge deal and always will be, so they want to sell those slots to advertisers.

In turn though, that's a bit harsh as the Fox show seemingly had little to do with WWE. Doubt he would've even been there if it had.

Agree I'm probably being a little harsh though.  It's just a disappointment at missing out on a chance for one of the most joyous bits about wresting. Look back to the Hardy's coming back at WM.  Sure it was heavily rumoured, but all parties did their best to try and draw people away, and that resulted in an incredible pop

10 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yeah, know what you mean.  Just feels like they could have dropped hints without basically saying "Charles M Punk is going to be here tonight guys, honest"

It'll still be a massive moment regardless.

They had to sell out the biggest arena in America tbf - I’d rather they dropped hints and got that place packed out for a proper massive moment. 

6 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

They had to sell out the biggest arena in America tbf - I’d rather they dropped hints and got that place packed out for a proper massive moment. 

They only booked the United Center once they had Punk signed. That's what tipped their hand that it was happening since they're already running Chicago 3 times in a matter of weeks. 

They've never said his name. Got a month+ of publicity and hype with all the speculation. Aided in the debut of Rampage and Punk's acting/new show Heels. Their biggest show in history is practically a pop up show and drove tickets sales for future events. 

I'm sure most British wrestling fans would have loved waking up on a random Thursday morning and finding out on social media that he'd debuted thanks to an #AllElite graphic. 

28 minutes ago, forameus said:

In turn though, that's a bit harsh as the Fox show seemingly had little to do with WWE. Doubt he would've even been there if it had.

I did say that TBF. The point I'm making is that Punk is one of maybe 5 or 6 folk currently kicking about who would generate enough interest to the point that if they were away for long enough, mainstream media, some non-wrestling fans and lapsed fans would want to see them, so the networks really have no choice but to demand eyes on it.

BTW, the only others IMO are Rock, Cena, Austin, Lesnar and Undertaker. Even Hogan doesn't have that level of interest anymore. Back in the TNA days, definitely, but not now. You could of course argue for guys like Hart, HBK, Edge, Angle, Flair possibly even Sting but IMO they just don't have that mainstream appeal that would generate the buzz that any of those guys do.

Edited by djchapsticks

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I did say that TBF. The point I'm making is that Punk is one of maybe 5 or 6 folk currently kicking about who would generate enough interest to the point that if they were away for long enough, mainstream media, some non-wrestling fans and lapsed fans would want to see them, so the networks really have no choice but to demand eyes on it.

BTW, the only others IMO are Rock, Cena, Austin, Lesnar and Undertaker. Even Hogan doesn't have that level of interest anymore. Back in the TNA days, definitely, but not now. You could of course argue for guys like Hart, HBK, Edge, Angle, Flair possibly even Sting but IMO they just don't have that mainstream appeal that would generate the buzz that any of those guys do.

Sting of course just had the surprise appearance. Wrestling media went wild and he sold a bunch of Tshirts.