The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Nah, that's absolute nonsense. 

The Rock, Undertaker, Triple H, Mick Foley, Kurt Angle & Brock Lesnar and Shawn Michaels have a combined total of two 5 star matches in their career and those were Taker vs Michaels at Bad Bloodd and Michaels vs Razor Ramon.

So that's no Rock vs Hogan, Rock vs Austin at WM17, Cactus Jack vs Triple H at the Rumble, any of Undertaker's WM matches vs Michaels or Triple H.

To say that WWE has only had thirteen 5 star matches in its history, 8 of which has came from NXT over the period of 2018-2020 is just ludicrous. Meanwhile, Kenny Omega and Will Ospreay have had 33, 5 star matches alone again just points to his moronicness.

AEW in it's time in existence has had more 5 star matches than WWE (NXT not withstanding) in their whole existence and finally, back to the Japanese bias even taking into account that they do have better wrestlers, he's awarded Japanese wrestling companies 126, 5 star matches to WWE's 5. 

Come on now.

Edited by Ludo*1

1 minute ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Rock vs Hogan a five star match? Five star crowd reaction yes but five star match? Not even close 

It's all inclusive to make up the match, surely?!

But if that's the only one that is questionable for you, then I rest my case!

Edited by Ludo*1

Match ratings I couldn't really care.  It's an extremely subjective thing and is always going to lead to people disagreeing, and it's natural he'd prefer one thing over another.  It's just the general "wrestling journalist" part I really don't get (and he's by no means alone in it).  There's going to be limited stuff you can talk about that's actually provably true, and even then that can get pulled.  But people actually pay him a monthly fee to hear him stumble over words on a lot of stuff he's basically making up.  And that's before you even get to his general demeanor.

He’s become much less strict about it, but the standard of actual wrestling across the board has also went up quite a bit. For the 2000s period you’re talking about - look at the matches that did actually get 5 stars. Punk/Joe, the Unbreakable triple threat, Joe/Kobashi etc - genuinely revolutionary matches lightyears ahead of WWE’s in-ring product at the time. The glaring omissions for me are Cactus/Triple H and Michaels/Angle - but even those got 4.5 and 4.75 respectively. Compared to what they were up against at the time, it makes sense. I’ll be honest I’ve never understood why it bothers people. It’s a guide, and you’re left to interpret yourself what you feel a 5 star match is (See, the GRAPPL app) 

7 hours ago, NotThePars said:

The match rating thing is a red herring it’s the fact he’s a misogynist who makes up shite all the time that should be disqualifying.

He's pretty much the wrestling equivalent of a Sottish football journalist, except when he makes up a story, he bothers to claim "plans changed" rather than just ignoring the fact that there was no chance X player was ever signing for Y bigot brother.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The thought of Ric Flair wrestling again repulses me as much as Dave Meltzer feels giving WWE a 5 star match review.

The bit from TripleMania didn't exactly thrill me. They can get the same spots from a Allin v. Andrade match or Allin & Sting v. Andrade & Chavo. The only thing that would be missing would be him coming out in a robe.

23 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

They’ll be getting a partnership with Clyde next. 

And I know she signed for them of her own free will but I am embarrassed for Meiko Satomura. 

HHH shows to Vince without any explanation.

Vince "I love it! You've finally got the right idea! That's exactly the kind of signing NXT needs. Pack an extra 30 pounds of muscle on him we've got a new Mania headliner"