The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Eddie dying was the hardest one to take I always felt because of all the shit he'd gone through to get himself back on the straight and narrow only to have it all taken in an instant. The only other two I've ever felt genuinely hitting quite so hard were Owen and Brodie Lee.

I'm guessing that the person who claimed he was a B+ wasn't old enough to remember the Smackdown Six days because if he was, he wouldn't be so fucking stupid.

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Eddie dying was the hardest one to take I always felt because of all the shit he'd gone through to get himself back on the straight and narrow only to have it all taken in an instant. The only other two I've ever felt genuinely hitting quite so hard were Owen and Brodie Lee.

I'm guessing that the person who claimed he was a B+ wasn't old enough to remember the Smackdown Six days because if he was, he wouldn't be so fucking stupid.

Eddie’s was awful as he was in his prime and looking like he was about to peak and be a regular champ/main eventer.

I can’t mind exactly who it was but I think they were older than me from their pfp and the Smackdown Six
was my prime of watching. There’s no chance they weren’t in amongst it when Eddie was in his prime.

Looking almost guaranteed Punk will be there in September. I am genuinely stunned, but fair fucks to AEW... They now need to pull it off and book him properly i.e. Huge fucking star. Huge fucking heel after an initial euphoric phase?

Main problem with Punk coming is they've been building the Hangman Page story for about two years and if they pull the trigger on it in Chicago the same night Punk arrives then it's pretty much all for nothing which would be a terrible waste. Interested to see how they go with this 

You bring out Punk on either the Dynamite or Rampage before All Out. The end of that PPV needs to be all about Hangman. Have punk on the actual PPV speaking for the first time or whatever, but if you’ve got him, bring him out before. 

I think the plan is still to have Bryan in New York too. The reaction for him in that big a building would be mental. 

10 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

You bring out Punk on either the Dynamite or Rampage before All Out. The end of that PPV needs to be all about Hangman. Have punk on the actual PPV speaking for the first time or whatever, but if you’ve got him, bring him out before. 

I think the plan is still to have Bryan in New York too. The reaction for him in that big a building would be mental. 

Or if they do insist on debuting him at All Out, keep Punk and Hangman as far away from each other in terms of timeslots as possible. Now that it's out there and folk fully expect it to happen, Punk showing up and opening the show is the only answer here for two reasons.

One, if they don't do this right off the bat, every match is just going to be a sideshow swamped with CM Punk chants, a tetchy crowd half paying attention and looking to the ramp and as the night wears on, increasingly shitting on everything in the ring as they build to Punk. Secondly, it gives a full 2 and a quarter hours, minimum, before Page and Omega go on which is plenty of time for fans to get it out their system and be fully invested in the Main Event.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Huge fucking heel after an initial euphoric phase?

In the annals of time Punk now has this aura about him that even if he's hated, he's too loved to be hated and to be honest, that's a load of shite. 

He's got this rare talent of really cutting through folk, not getting the cheap heel heat but getting that 'I fucking hate you and want to see you dead' heat. Give him a microphone, give him free reign and have him go out there and tell the fans to f**k off, they are all c***s and the reason he bailed in the first place and do they honestly think if he gave a toss about them, he would have spent the best part of the past decade actively avoiding them?

Let him be a guy that it's impossible for anyone to get behind. Punk can pull this off with the greatest of ease because in all honesty, it's not that much of a stretch. He doesn't care for the smarky fans asking him when he's coming back constantly, he's not above outright insulting them and he's not into pandering. After that initial happiness, make him just be him and it'll be unmissable stuff.

It's unavoidable, but It's a real shame that things like this are common knowledge well in advance now, Punk turning up out of nowhere on AEW would be up there with some of the biggest moments in the modern era of the business, certainly in the last couple of decades anyway.  Plenty big returns and storylines were leaked back in the day but i feel you had to be really plugged in to hear about it, although i suspect me being about 8 at the time and completely unaware of the dirt sheet/IWC world probably clouds my perspective slightly.  

If it's hyped from now until September it'll be hard for anything to live up to the anticipation that will have built by then, either way it'll be worth watching and as others have said if they give him a free reign to take it as far as he wants it could be great. 

"Launch on Sky" sounds ominous.  Odd as well given that WWE now have a deal with BT - we going to see RAW/Smackdown and the like live on BT but Sky helping to host everything else?

Unfortunately I can't see them keeping on the Network just for smaller markets.  As long as the near-to-live experience doesn't change too much and I can still watch on pretty much anything doesn't change, I'll be happy enough.  

Wyatt in hindsight is such an interesting character. Some great ideas and cool concepts but also unbelievably bad horseshit. The guy had a wider quality range than maybe any other wrestler I know. Some of those early promos and feuds with The Shield and New Day etc as well as *some* of The Fiend stuff hooked me in 100% but then there were the wilderness years post Wyatt Family break up and the nadir that was the mooted match with Finn Balor.

Hope he’s alright though.

2 hours ago, TheGoon said:

If there is nothing more to that, and it’s honestly just “budget cuts” then it’s nuts. There has to be more to the story, surely? 

If that is the case he's been stitched up a belter. To all intents he was the one who came up with his gimmick and built it from the ground up. WWE then passed it onto Alexa who most felt was just a placeholder for something bigger in the storyline and punt him.