The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

20 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

2015 isn't it?

It's so bad. It's a massive 'f**k you!' to the fans. Everything about that match is so dreadfully done, from the order of entrants to the order of eliminations, but especially the manner of eliminations. An aged, creaking and utterly not over Kane and Big Show just dumping folk out was so bad to watch.

Rock's face when he's trying to get folk behind Roman's win is still amusing. He's totally like 'What the f**k?!.

That's the one!  Rock's face just tops it off.  He raises Roman's hand, and then there's a moment of "hold on, this isn't usually what happens with me".  You can almost see a sort of involuntary move to distance himself.  Think the key moment that shows just how badly botched (well, one of, there were fucking hundreds) was their big final four spot.  They like that bit, the last x stop, stare at each other, and let the crowd drink it in.  They tried it here with Reigns, Ambrose, Big Show and Kane, but the crowd can already see what's coming.  When they have the big "now we fight" moment, they were expecting a pop, but there was absolutely nothing.  Just a dull background of booing that had been going on since Bryan got dumped out.  

You have to feel for Reigns.  I mean, f**k sake.  You've just taken the step up to probably the pinnacle of your sport if you're a WWE guy.  You're going in the main event.  But you're just getting shat on constantly.  Seeing what he was capable of booked correctly now, it's hard not to feel for the guy.

Know what I'd really love? Them to do one of their WWE 24 docs centred around this match entirely.  I'd love to know what Kane's thinking just after they eliminated Ambrose.  Big Show's giving it the big cheesy grin trying to play up to it, but Kane looks genuinely pissed off.  They must have felt like prize dicks just going through the motions during that.  And that's forgetting all the other stories from the match - Bray botching the big Bryan entrance, Bryan out, Bubba Ray and no D-Von.  Would be a fascinating to hear about.

EDIT: To paraphrase Big Barry Davies, "Look at his face!  Just look at his face!"

Screen_Shot_2015-01-25_at_7.49.00_PM.0.0.png

Edited by forameus

9 hours ago, forameus said:

That's the one!  Rock's face just tops it off.  He raises Roman's hand, and then there's a moment of "hold on, this isn't usually what happens with me".  You can almost see a sort of involuntary move to distance himself.  Think the key moment that shows just how badly botched (well, one of, there were fucking hundreds) was their big final four spot.  They like that bit, the last x stop, stare at each other, and let the crowd drink it in.  They tried it here with Reigns, Ambrose, Big Show and Kane, but the crowd can already see what's coming.  When they have the big "now we fight" moment, they were expecting a pop, but there was absolutely nothing.  Just a dull background of booing that had been going on since Bryan got dumped out.  

You have to feel for Reigns.  I mean, f**k sake.  You've just taken the step up to probably the pinnacle of your sport if you're a WWE guy.  You're going in the main event.  But you're just getting shat on constantly.  Seeing what he was capable of booked correctly now, it's hard not to feel for the guy.

Know what I'd really love? Them to do one of their WWE 24 docs centred around this match entirely.  I'd love to know what Kane's thinking just after they eliminated Ambrose.  Big Show's giving it the big cheesy grin trying to play up to it, but Kane looks genuinely pissed off.  They must have felt like prize dicks just going through the motions during that.  And that's forgetting all the other stories from the match - Bray botching the big Bryan entrance, Bryan out, Bubba Ray and no D-Von.  Would be a fascinating to hear about.

EDIT: To paraphrase Big Barry Davies, "Look at his face!  Just look at his face!"

Screen_Shot_2015-01-25_at_7.49.00_PM.0.0.png

Best Rumble mistakes would be an excellent show.

My favourite is still them managing to f**k AJ Styles' debut by cutting to Reigns in the ring at the exact wrong moment

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Best Rumble mistakes would be an excellent show.

My favourite is still them managing to f**k AJ Styles' debut by cutting to Reigns in the ring at the exact wrong moment

Didn’t they do something similar for Edge”s comeback at the rumble too? Changed camera angles just as he hit the first spear and they missed it entirely.

The ending of the 2005 Rumble was a comedy of errors. Cena and Batista botching the finish and then Vince tearing both his quads getting into the ring and having to cut an ad-libbed promo while sitting on the mat.

The 2000 finish was a also a bit of a shambles when the Rock's feet clearly touched before Big Show went over the rope, but at least they were able to book a story around that.

While it's easy to call them out when they're shite, which is a lot of the time, they did book last year's Rumble almost perfectly.  They went right close to the line with Brock eliminating a lot of people he probably shouldn't have, but it built the McIntyre story perfectly, lined up the second half for all the other stories and the right guy went over, at the expense of Roman Reigns of all people.  Top work.  

f**k knows what this year's going to be like.

Big E is the new IC champion.

Actually a bit disappointed at this as I thought he might have been in contention for winning the Rumble, but can't see that now.

I think there's only two real contenders for the Rumble now; AJ Styles and Kevin Owens. At a push I could see Edge, Sheamus or Brock Lesnar winning it, but they all seem doubtful. Might they give Keith Lee the win and then continue to totally waste him like they did with Nakamura so that they can claim that they are always right and everyone else is totally wrong all the time?

7 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

That’s hit me quite hard tbh. Was a top man by all accounts

Aye, despite being a bit of a casual with watching wrestling these days, he was only a year older than me and by all accounts a total family man whose children are still quite young. Think it was only a month ago I was watching him repeatedly running out and getting in a free-for-all brawl with someone on AEW.