The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Looking forward to tonight's Dark Side.

It's Herb Abrams, about whom I haven't heard much, but anyone who dies of a cocaine overdose while in custody after being arrested for smashing up a hotel room naked and covered in baby oil is definitely worth an hour or so of my time.

The Reigns stuff is weird. He’s likely to be gone for some time yet as well. It’s hard to imagine them being genuinely pissed off at him but, then again, it’s Vince.

The not mentioning his name verbally I can kinda get, out of sight out of mind type thing and it keeps the attention on the people showing up/in the ring. But the completely editing him out of the smack down intro and that top ten thing is mental.

On 04/05/2020 at 12:55, DA Baracus said:

Just watched the most recent Dark Side of The Ring.

Stossel comes across as an absolute arsehole about wrestling. He seems to take it as some sort of mad personal insult. I can understand his mindset of 'exposing' wrestling in the 80s given how strictly most held on to kayfabe, but he still seems to think it's a huge con and that folk are being lied to in a really malicious way. He's really bitter about wrestling.

That's just stupid. He should go to a film set or the set of a sitcom or soap and do an 'exposè' on how it's all fake and a dreadful con designed to rob people. These days that's pretty much the same thing.

No shock to hear Hulk Hogan telling lies. The mad old f**k can't help himself.

Also no shock to see Vince McMahon acting like an utter snake. A terrible human being.

Was going to say the exact same thing. It's exactly the same principle. But for some reason he has some odd personal vandetta against wrestling that he's still bitter about to this day despite everybody knowing it's a work. If he'd actually ran an expose on the issues Mansfield wanted to highlight (shit payoffs, no union, unscrupulous promoters) he would have actually made a programme that was worthwhile and worthy of an 'investigative journalist'. Ironically, a union would have probably saved Schultz's career too. 

22 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Looking forward to tonight's Dark Side.

It's Herb Abrams, about whom I haven't heard much, but anyone who dies of a cocaine overdose while in custody after being arrested for smashing up a hotel room naked and covered in baby oil is definitely worth an hour or so of my time.

On 04/05/2020 at 15:45, FifeArab said:

Cena granting his 651st make a wish this week to a sick kid In Florida. He turned up with a Mask on, gloves on and some goodies for the wee kid.

Love him or hate him, Cena Is the man.

On 04/05/2020 at 16:11, Stellaboz said:

He's a f*cking hero whether people admit it or not.

What he's done for Make-a-Wish is absolutely great (and it must be brilliant to be in a job where just something small can make anyone's life that much better to be honest) but somethings always seemed...off about Cena.  Nothing sinister or anything, he just seems like a bit of a weirdo.  If it comes out that he's some kind of android or alien who came here wearing human skin, I wouldn't be surprised.  

Although to be honest, if he is missing something in the emotion stakes, maybe that's good, because meeting 651 kids who you know are going to pass away (make a wish is the terminal ones, right?  Or can it be others) must be utterly fucking draining.  I'd struggle to get through one without breaking into pieces.

Downloaded the TEW 2020 beta. Haven't played any of these games since the 2005 version. The actual game is very good once you get into it, but the user interface is horrible and dated. Also my first introduction to the Cornell-verse. I had to laugh at the description of Scotland's only promotion in the explanation blurb: "Eventually, in March 2015 Mark Carnie convinced the Scottish National Arts Council to give him a $5,000,000 grant to start a wrestling promotion. The result was Scottish National Promotions. Although Carnie is the definition of a scumbag indy promoter, SNP has managed to get a dedicated Scottish fanbase among Scots who refuse to watch 21CW. " So not a direct mix of ICW and the plot of Trainspotting 2 at all!?! 😂😂

On 10/05/2020 at 23:58, JamieStevenson said:

Is it bad to think that the "put her through hell" part makes it sound like a wrestling promo?

He's always seemed a bit off.  Can't remember where it was said - might've been WrestleMe podcast actually - that ADR has an incredible amount of talent, really good at what he does, but he just cuts himself off at every opportunity, and seems like a bit of a dick into the bargain.  If this happened, then obviously it goes a wee bit beyond "a bit of a dick".

Edited by forameus

WWE dropped the ball big time with EC3. The guy has it all and can be, and may become, one of the biggest talents in the business.

He's in incredible shape. He can cut brilliant promos. He's good in the ring. He has massive amounts of charisma.

He wasn't given a chance in WWE, which is bizarre, given he's pretty much Vince McMahon's ideal of a wrestler (built, tall, white, can talk etc).

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

WWE dropped the ball big time with EC3. The guy has it all and can be, and may become, one of the biggest talents in the business.

He's in incredible shape. He can cut brilliant promos. He's good in the ring. He has massive amounts of charisma.

He wasn't given a chance in WWE, which is bizarre, given he's pretty much Vince McMahon's ideal of a wrestler (built, tall, white, can talk etc).

The goatee and shaved head makes him look like Kurrgan.

Without going all yer da/Jim Cornette, why is half the roster’s, on all 3 shows, finisher now just kicking their opponent as hard as they can in the head or chest?

How is that a wrestling move? You see that at kicking out time on a Friday night down the local.

I was watching some WhatCulture/Cultaholic/some other random wrestling youtube video the other day and they were on about how Vince McMahon was considering Monday Night WCW and Smackdown being the two entities with Shane legitmately running WCW (With Vince's help).

A terrible Buff Bagwell vs Booker T match apparently put the kibosh to that .(And a host of other reasons undoubtedly)

Whilst I don't think that'd necessarily have worked, I do think it's criminal that Raw and Smackdown have never felt like separate entities even during the brand split. Yeah, there have been subtle differences at times but largely just a continuation of the same style of show.

NXT has proven that certain fans tune into different styles of wrestling products. I know the PG debate is largely pointless if there is no good storylines, but Vince has proven he can deliver variety in his time, I just wish he made a full fledged effort to differentiate the shows rather than his half arsed attempts. Aim Smackdown for a completely different audience would've been a big risk but at a time when there was zero competition, this could've changed the face of the wrestling landscape. Aim one show for wrestling purists (NXT), another for kids and merchandise buyers (Smackdown) and the other for the 'drama' lovers (Raw). It'd never catch on though. Sorry for the ramble!