The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

1 hour ago, Warren Mears said:

Yeah. I hate when two teams put on a really entertaining match. Dying a death. Fucking hell. :lol:

2 men started on the apron, yet all 4 men were legal. Matches need to make sense. From start to finish this match was dumb, albeit slightly fun. I love that in these matches as well Pentagon isn't even subtle about just standing there, watching his partner get destroyed.

1 hour ago, JamieStevenson said:

Rules completely out of the window in that Lucha Bros vs LAX match last night. Young Bucks will have loved that shit. Tag team wrestling dying a horrible death with this lot. Why can't they just do it properly?

Haven't seen it so can't comment on the specifics of the match, but under lucha libre rules you don't have to tag to enter and be the legal participant. That's usually why they'll have multiple refs (one inside, one outside) to keep track of who is legal.

19 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Haven't seen it so can't comment on the specifics of the match, but under lucha libre rules you don't have to tag to enter and be the legal participant. That's usually why they'll have multiple refs (one inside, one outside) to keep track of who is legal.

It's weird that they didn't make a point of highlighting this to new lucha viewers, and they must have known there'd be a lot given that they were pushing the show like f**k on social media.

1 minute ago, Warren Mears said:

It's weird that they didn't make a point of highlighting this to new lucha viewers, and they must have known there'd be a lot given that they were pushing the show like f**k on social media.

Yeah especially given there were other normal tag matches on the card. Checked the rule out. Someone can apparently enter once the legal wrestler hits the outside, which is still not what happened in that Lucha Bros match. Not my style, I'll just leave it at that and probably not bother with any more of those tag matches.

Now I've got to catch up on a few matches from the past couple of NJPW shows.

2 minutes ago, Warren Mears said:

Wasn't the rumour a month or so ago that these shows wouldn't even happen? Poor ticket sales (MSG downgraded to the Theater), no announced card for a while and no mention during TripleMania.

Not surprised they never tried to do any sort of introduction for new to lucha fans.

I'm glad I decided to skip most of Super J Cup & Clash of Champions. Far too much to get through.

El Phantasmo vs Robbie Eagles - NJPW Super J Cup 2019 - Tag 1. ***3/4
Dragon Lee vs YOH - NJPW Super J Cup 2019 - Tag 1. ***3/4
SHO vs Taiji Ishimori - NJPW Super J Cup 2019 - Tag 1. ***3/4
Will Ospreay vs Amazing Red - NJPW Super J Cup 2019 - Tag 1. ****1/2
El Phantasmo vs TJP - NJPW Super J Cup 2019 - Tag 2. ***1/4
Will Ospreay vs SHO - NJPW Super J Cup 2019 - Tag 2. ****3/4
Dragon Lee vs Caristico - NJPW Super J Cup 2019 - Tag 3. ***
El Phantasmo vs Will Ospreay - NJPW Super J Cup 2019 - Tag 3. ***1/2
El Phantasmo vs Dragon Lee - NJPW Super J Cup 2019 - Tag 3. ****
Michael Elgin vs TJP - Impact: Victory Road. ***3/4
Shoko Nakajima vs Misao - TJP KFC 2Days '19 ~ Temple Of The Sun ~. **1/2
BULLET CLUB (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) vs CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI) - NJPW Destruction In Beppu. ***1/2
Zack Sabre Jr. vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - NJPW Destruction In Beppu. ****1/4
Sasha Banks vs Becky Lynch - WWE Clash Of Champions 2019. ***1/2
Rowan vs Roman Reigns - WWE Clash Of Champions 2019. **3/4
Seth Rollins vs Braun Strowman - WWE Clash Of Champions 2019. ***1/4
BULLET CLUB (El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori) vs Birds Of Prey (Robbie Eagles & Will Ospreay) - NJPW Destruction In Kagoshima. ****
Kota Ibushi vs KENTA - NJPW Destruction In Kagoshima. ****1/4

Over the next week, NXT's live debut should provide some good matches. White vs Naito for IC title happens this week as well. Also BOLA gets underway.

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Well AAAs PPV in New York on Sunday tanked in utterly spectacular fashion! Currently looking at a total of 60 (six-zero) buys Ooft!

https://411mania.com/wrestling/ppv-numbers-for-aaa-invading-new-york-very-low/

That's for traditional TV PPV in the US. Going by that article most of the promotion they did was for streaming on FITE. So they might make a respectable number combining everything.

Clash of Champions is meant to have done 12,800 on traditional TV PPV buys.

31 minutes ago, Warren Mears said:

If you've not seen Liger vs. Muta, I'd suggest trying to find it. Think it was the first appearance of Kishin Liger. The match is also a hell of a spectacle.

Been reading about it this morning. Gonna search it out when I get in