Mo Wonderboy

The Wrestling Thread

Was a good match. However, I can't be the only person who finds Mike Kanellis unbelievably annoying in general 

I'm quite a bit behind on my list of matches I need to watch. Most of which are from last week and that's after me even dropping a few from the list. It's a struggle right now.

Defiant officially closing down. A shame, they’ve put out some really decent stuff over the past few years.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Defiant officially closing down. A shame, they’ve put out some really decent stuff over the past few years.

Sad news, they put over a lot of independent guys and girls who had maybe been overlooked by more casual fans. Also managed to get some proper names in at times, like Cody or Rey. One of my favourite storylines in all wrestling was the Conners/Hendry one from the early days of WCPW, a proper slow burning heel turn followed by absolute mayhem when he turned. Outstanding.

I wasn't a huge fan of them but as said, they gave some lesser known guys some great exposure and it's never good to see one less respectable place to work for wrestlers.

What I've seen of Defiant was pretty enjoyable, but as far as I know, they've struggled with attendances. It's a shame to see them go but I had a feeling it was coming.

I've only just realised how much wrestling has been on this week so I've decided to abandon what I was watching from last week. Here's what I got from it.

Drew Gulak vs Isaiah Swerve - 205 Live. ***3/4
Jon Moxley vs Shingo Takagi - NJPW G1 Climax - Tag 8. ****1/4
Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW G1 Climax - Tag 8. ****1/2
Kazuchika Okada vs KENTA - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 9. ****1/4 
Tomohiro Ishii vs Juice Robinson - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 10. ****1/2
Jay White vs Shingo Takagi - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 10. ***3/4
Jon Moxley vs Tetsuya Naito - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 10. ****

Loving Ishii right now, doing tremendous work in B block.

On 01/08/2019 at 20:26, Comrie said:

Sad news. Undoubtedly one of the best of all time. RIP Harley. 

On 01/08/2019 at 22:38, TheGoon said:

Sad to hear that. They played a huge part in the resurgence in popularity of British wrestling, with their widely accessible shows. and were influential in the burgeoning careers of lots of young British talent. Defiant gave guys like Joe Hendry, Gabriel Kidd, Martin Kirby and Joseph Connors the time and investment needed to become stars.

On 02/08/2019 at 13:24, TheGreenMonster said:

Jim Smallman has announced that he will be leaving Progress after Chapter 100 at the end of the year.

Full-time move to NXT UK I'd guess?

6 hours ago, Warren Mears said:

Did they f**k play a part in the resurgence. :lol:

Fucking hell.

They did though. What Culture as annoying as those guys were, at it's peak was very, very popular. They got a lot of big, big names over and let the British guys get experience with them. Even a cursory look just there shows defiants YouTube channel still has half a million subscribers. That's a massive number when you consider the Two "biggest" UK companies ICW and Progress have just over 40k and 30k respectively. Christ it's over 100k more than ROH!

They got involved pretty much right when it was at it's peak. They capitalised. They didn't actually play a part. Nothing wrong with that of course, but let's not pretend that they were something they weren't.

They have a load of subscribers but how did that translate to live shows? Ultimately there were shows in pretty much every part of the UK outdrawing them. ICW outdrew their Newcastle shows every time they went there. They played to a certain casual fan, who probably wouldn't bother their arse to turn up to shows with no "names" and even then, the likes of Rev Pro had that market already. Again, WCPW capitalised on the success of others.

Some tremendous wrestling on night 13 of the G1. Loved Okada vs Sanada. Saw a number of people complaining that it was a slow start, but I really didn't feel that at all.

I'm itching to give out a ***** for a G1 match before finals night. So close with Naito vs Takagi there but it'll be another ****3/4 like quite a number of matches in the tournament. 

My remaining hopes are probably:

Ospreay vs KENTA

Ishii vs Takagi

Okada vs Ibushi

Tanahashi vs Ospreay

Zack Sabre Jr. vs Will Ospreay - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 11. ****1/2
Kazuchika Okada vs Lance Archer - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 11. ***1/2
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs EVIL - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 11. ****1/4
Drake Maverick vs Mike Kanellis - 205 Live. ***3/4
Roderick Strong vs Pete Dunne - NXT ****
Hirooki Goto vs Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 12. ****1/4
EVIL vs Will Ospreay - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 13. ****1/2
Kota Ibushi vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 13. ****1/2
SANADA vs Kazuchika Okada - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 13. ****3/4
Blue Demon Jr. vs Dr. Wagner Jr. - AAA Triplemania XXVII. ***3/4
Tetsuya Naito vs Shingo Takagi - NJPW G1 Climax 2019 - Tag 14. ****3/4

More really good wrestling over the past week. Was a bit disappointed in the AAA main event as I saw several on Twitter talk it up as an all time classic. It was decent but a bit of a mess in parts.

42 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Did anyone catch Cain Velasquez's match at the weekend? 

I’ve only caught a few clips off Twitter but he certainly looked impressive.