The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

An hour long show with 40 minutes of adverts and the other 20 roman reigns cutting a promo?
As long as it's not like the one they show on Sky One where when anything violent happens it cuts to the crowd and doesn't show it.

2 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Championship matches where the champions were in no danger of losing and the usual tag matches they do pretty much every card. A handful of locals added in to the mix. Definite house show no matter how they try and market it, not that that's a bad thing at all btw.

The rest of the show didn't matter but that match mattered a great deal. They hyped it majorly. It wasn't just Ospreay randomly reeling out a banger for no reason. The idea was to build Eagles and they did that. 

20 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

The rest of the show didn't matter but that match mattered a great deal. They hyped it majorly. It wasn't just Ospreay randomly reeling out a banger for no reason. The idea was to build Eagles and they did that. 

Can't imagine it'll matter to anyone other than the people that were actually there. Probably go on to lose a feud with ELP at some point. However would love to see him win 2020 BOSJ.

9 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

Pretty good. Kinda cemented previous thoughts that they're great shows to go see. Also cemented that I ain't shelling out monthly.

The Shed is a tremendous venue. Great atmosphere. Whoever came up with that one deserves credit.

Yeah I totally agree with you on all counts. It's always an enjoyable show. Every match is a little different and adds something and, generally, you always go home happy although the non-finish in the main event did sour that match for me slightly. Yeah I'm not going to be shelling out monthly either. At least not at this point. 

The Shed is a cracker of a venue. Always a great atmosphere and you can see from everywhere in the venue. Easy to get to as well despite being out the city centre. 

Tony Nese (C) vs Drew Gulak vs Akira Tozawa - WWE Stomping Grounds. ****
The New Day (Big E & Woods) vs Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn. - WWE Stomping Grounds. ***1/2
Samoa Joe (C) vs Ricochet - WWE Stomping Grounds. ***3/4
Daniel Bryan & Rowan (C) vs Heavy Machinery - WWE Stomping Grounds. ***1/2
El Phantasmo (C) vs Ryusuke Taguchi - NJPW Kizuna Road 2019 - Tag 10. ***
Zack Sabre Jr (C) vs YOSHI-HASHI - NJPW Kizuna Road 2019 - Tag 10. ***1/4
Tony Nese vs Akira Tozawa - 205 Live. ****1/4
Will Ospreay (C) vs Robbie Eagles - NJPW Southern Showdown In Melbourne. ****1/2
Best Friends vs SCU vs The Private Party - AEW Fyter Fest. ****
Nyla Rose vs. Riho vs. Yuka Sakazaki - AEW Fyter Fest. ***1/2
Adam Page vs Jimmy Havoc vs Jungle Boy vs MJF - AEW Fyter Fest. ***1/2
Cody vs. Darby Allin - AEW Fyter Fest. ****
Laredo Kid, Penta El Zero M & Rey Fenix vs. Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson - AEW Fyter Fest. ***3/4
Joey Janela vs. Jon Moxley - AEW Fyter Fest. ****1/4

It's been great watching wrestling over the past 7 days. Coming up over the next week or so I'll be looking to take in some of G1's opening night, Slammiversary, TJP Princess Cup finals night & anything else I hear that's decent.

Edited by JamieStevenson

58 minutes ago, ftk said:

How many times have you said this over the years?

A handful of times I've been close to giving it up but they always feed me just enough to hold on to. Tbh I'm 20 years deep into this now, it'd be very difficult to just move on. I reckon a slow phasing out is the way I'd go about it if it comes to it.

Sting will still really want this match. I'd like to think after seeing the disaster with Goldberg that it's not going to happen, but money talks unfortunately 😓. Logic would suggest just to not watch the match. However the morbid curiosity with these tragic legends matches would kick in and I'd have to see it eventually.

19 minutes ago, JamieStevenson said:

A handful of times I've been close to giving it up but they always feed me just enough to hold on to. Tbh I'm 20 years deep into this now, it'd be very difficult to just move on. I reckon a slow phasing out is the way I'd go about it if it comes to it.

I've been much the same after starting in the late 80s.

Given up on watching Raw and Smackdown in the last couple of months and not even bothered with the Saudi show and Stomping Grounds.

Might watch Extreme Rules and the run up to SummerSlam but that's doubtful at this stage.

I have given up with WWE. I gave up about 18 month ago. I check stuff online that catches my eye, but it's pure nostalgia trips. I like to keep tabs on Taker, Goldberg etc, but every time I do it just makes me that little bit more sad. I cling onto my childhood with WWE and it's unfair to do so as no-one can expect the older stars to still produce, and I think the likes of Vince and the rest at WWE have this problem these days too.

If WWE produced exciting content, then they'd build new stars as they have the wrestlers. I've already became more invested in the likes of Dustin Rhodes and Cody than I practically ever did during their WWF/WWE careers.

205 Live will continue to get my attention as well as the Takeover shows. Some of the PPVs depending on the quality of the card. But that's been less and less.

The Saudi shows are glorified house shows that shouldn't even be happening. Don't give a single f**k who wrestles on them.

See they've apparently moved towards dropping the PG rating as they are now wary of losing the teenage and young adult demographic to AEW. 

Shown a little this week with Graves yelling 'Holy Shit' after the Braun and Lashley spot then Kofi giving Joe the finger on Smackdown. 

To me, this is only going to get a positive reaction if you let them do what they want in the context of a framework rather than script word for word. The word 'shit' here and there isn't going to make it a better product if it is still turgid and lame as f**k in delivery. 

Heyman and Bischoff will turn this scripted mince around in the short term but long term, they'll struggle to work with the old mad man as he pushes back on everything that isn't originating from him. 

Edited by djchapsticks