The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Everything about the Anderson Angle fued was perfect and it was the platform for Anderson to show he can be the perfect heel yet it didn't go into either performers personal lifes but the fued was personal.

They are using real life situations as fueds, and I can only imagine that there must be some form of embarrassment that Angle must be feeling. Think 10 years ago he captured every title in the WWF in 1 year, now TNA are throwing this crap at him.

Your thought process on it though is "I can't believe they're doing this to Angle, what a bunch of c***s". That's a good thing, you are sympathising with the face and you are pissed off with the heel. They have managed to suspend your disbelief through what's happening on screen and that's what's supposed to happen :)

Different feuds require different things. Jarrett and Angle have a reason to dislike each other, why make one up when the real reason is excellent?

Not really, the internet as been available for the just under 10 years..

When did storyline ever go as in depth personally with The Rock or Stone Cold? No storyline was made when Stone Cold was beating the crap out Debra or when the Rock had moobs. See what I'm getting at?

The interent wasn't as widely used though. Back then cutting edge stuff was the style of wrestling and storyline which ECW and Attitude era WWF were pushing. Now I think it's a move towards a more shoot style which is innovative.

Your thought process on it though is "I can't believe they're doing this to Angle, what a bunch of c***s". That's a good thing, you are sympathising with the face and you are pissed off with the heel. They have managed to suspend your disbelief through what's happening on screen and that's what's supposed to happen smile.gif

Different feuds require different things. Jarrett and Angle have a reason to dislike each other, why make one up when the real reason is excellent?

The interent wasn't as widely used though. Back then cutting edge stuff was the style of wrestling and storyline which ECW and Attitude era WWF were pushing. Now I think it's a move towards a more shoot style which is innovative.

No, not at all. My thought process is why are TNA creative presenting this storyline to Angle (again if I may add, this fued was done little less than 1 year ago).. are TNA creative that stupid that they can't think of any other way to draw interest in a storyline.

That is a wrestlers personal life which is, quite frankly, nobody's business. His professional life is different however.

What is the difference in storylines in the Attitude Era and now? examples included

If Angle didn't want this feud to happen, then it wouldn't. Simple as that. He'd veto it immediately, or Russo/Bischoff would've asked him if he was ok with this happening.

Are you trying to tell me Kurt is happy to do an angle (twice now by the way) that quite obviously exposes his personal (not professional) life to the world without the slightest bit embarassment?

ROH Glory By Honor IX

ROH on PPV with what is the second biggest show on the ROH calender. Really looking forward to the tag title match, as Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin take on the Kings of Wrestling.

Kenny King vs. Jay Briscoe ( *** )

Rhett Titus vs. Mark Briscoe ( ** )

Erick Stevens and Necro Butcher vs. Balls Mahoney and Grizzly Redwood ( **1/2 )

Kevin Steen and Steve Corino vs. El Generico and Colt Cabana, Double Dog Collar Match ( ****1/4 )

Eddie Edwards © vs. Shawn Davairi - ROH Television Championship ( ** )

Austin Aries vs. Christopher Daniels ( *** )

The Kings of Wrestling © vs. The World's Greatest Tag Team - ROH World Tag Team Championships ( ****1/2 )

Tyler Black © vs. Roderick Strong, No DQ Match - ROH World Heavyweight Championship ( ***3/4 )

Kenny King vs. Jay Briscoe

Absolutely BRUTAL spot in this one, when Jay drops King on his head from his own shoulders. Fans chant "You Killed Kenny" for that. The match was a cracking little opener. King got a reasonably clean win here which did good things for the All Night Express. The match had some BIG stuff which woke the crowd up, but they didn't overdo the pace or anything which meant that the match was a good opener. ***

After the match, the All Night Express attempt an attack, but Mark comes out, and now we have a match.

Rhett Titus vs. Mark Briscoe

A much different kind of match here. For a start, it went down the "lots of nothing" route that I sometimes refer to when there's loads of action, but absolutely nothing of note. These two are definately the weak links of each team when it comes to singles competition. **

Erick Stevens and Necro Butcher vs. Balls Mahoney and Grizzly Redwood

Some fans give Balls drinks to hit Stevens with. I don't know about you guys, but I see that as a horrible waste of a pint. I really don't like Redwood. His offense looks ridiculous on much bigger guys, but he can bump like a madman so I'm willing to take the bad with the good as his selling is brilliant for the tag formula. It's a fun way to keep this show ticking over. **1/2

Kevin Steen and Steve Corino vs. El Generico and Colt Cabana, Double Dog Collar Match

I can't stress enough how awesome this fued has been, and it has probably been the best thing that Steve Corino has ever been involved in. The match starts a bit too "normally" for me when you consider how much the four guys hate each other, but when they got further into the match, it got much better and more heated. What we wind up with is absolute carnage. It does drag on a bit towards the end which takes the score down slightly, but overall this match is a brutal and bloody mess and worthy of the fued. ****1/4

After the match, Kevin Steen takes Generico's mask, and then when Generico gets out of there, Steen writes "Mr. Wrestling" on a steel chair with Steve Corino's blood. Wow.

Eddie Edwards © vs. Shawn Davairi - ROH Television Championship

Eddie Edwards has been brilliant in 2010. ROH have really pushed him big time as a singles competitor as the TV champ. It's amazing that ROH can make their titles mean something pretty much right away. Daivari has always been a bit iffy in the ring. Infact, he's boring as sin. There's a bit too much chronic no-selling in this one too. Boring, but well put together stuff. **

Austin Aries vs. Christopher Daniels

"I think you should be called CD, because much like the CD, a lot of people think you're obsolete nowadays."

I have to admit, it's great to see Daniels motivated again. It's like 2001/2002 all over again as far as he's concerned, and the guy was admittedly fantastic around then. The fans kinda got restless during this one. I can kinda see why, but the match was structured pretty well. The problem with the match was that the pace was dreadfully slow. It meant that the big nearfalls didn't come across as well as they should have. Even the 450 Splash had the fans knowing that it'd be a kickout. Good match, but should have been better. ***

The Kings of Wrestling © vs. The World's Greatest Tag Team - ROH World Tag Team Championships

Oh yeah, this is going to be brilliant. Haas and Benjamin get a stunning reception as you would expect from the audience. The fans sing along to "TNT" from AC/DC, which they use as their music. Shelton looks fucking PUMPED btw. Kings of Wrestling are a much better tag team during this reign than they were in their first reign as the tag champs. Hero especially has came on a fair bit. ROH Tag Title matches had a tendency to steal the show on the old PPVs and they have been doing so again. This is a magnificent tag team title match. ****1/2

Tyler Black © vs. Roderick Strong, No DQ Match - ROH World Heavyweight Championship

Fans chant "Future Jobber" at Tyler Black. The pace was terrific for this one, but considering the occaision and the magnitude of the match, this one got completely raped for time. It was like they just skipped right to the middle of the match. It was a cracking wee match for the time they got, but ultimately this just did not feel like the PPV main event that it was supposed to be. ***3/4

Another good PPV offering from ROH, with the two main tag matches delivering. There's a couple of disappointments though.

Edited by DomDom

Roy-Nelson.jpg

UFC heavyweight fighter Roy Nelson is interested in working for World Wrestling Entertainment. There's some interesting backstory to the situation.

Nelson has been fighting for UFC in his last few fights, but there's a legal mess that's preventing him from fighting anywhere now. Either before or during the time that he was signed with UFC, Nelson signed a contract with former boxer Roy Jones' fight promotion, Square Ring, Inc. (not "Squared Circle Promotions").

Square Ring, Inc. has sued Roy Nelson and Zuffa LLC (UFC's parent company), claiming they have exclusive rights over Nelson's MMA career. Because UFC's contracts typically include a clause that would indemnify Zuffa from any lawsuits arising from a fighter breaching contracts with other companies (such as Square Ring), all the legal heat is now coming down on Nelson. The legal bills are piling up, Nelson can't fight for UFC, Square Ring isn't booking any big MMA shows and "Big Country" needs a big payday.

UFC President Dana White spoke at last week's UFC 122 post-fight press conference and shed some light on the situation:

"These guys go out and sign with these rinky-dink little promotion companies and sign these bad contracts, and let's just say Roy Nelson is involved in a bad contract right now that he had before. There's a couple of different organizations out there that do it."

"There's organizations that are locking these guys up to the old-school boxing contracts. The contracts that King and those guys were doing back in the 60s, 70s and 80s where they have options on top of their options so your contract never ends with these guys."

"These are the kinds of contracts that some of these guys are signing in these other organizations out there that some of these MMA websites go, 'Oh, stick up for these guys, they're the small guys.' The small guys are the guys that are really f--- the fighters."

Nelson's management team thinks working with WWE could be the solution and has reached out to the company about working together. No word yet if WWE is interested in working with Nelson.

Nelson is a 34-year-old brawler known for his unorthodox body type - sporting a big gut and tipping the scales at around 265 pounds. Prior to this legal mess, Nelson had been a rumored opponent for former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

No, not at all. My thought process is why are TNA creative presenting this storyline to Angle (again if I may add, this fued was done little less than 1 year ago).. are TNA creative that stupid that they can't think of any other way to draw interest in a storyline.

If Angle took issue with it wouldn't be going ahead. The bookers might be stupid but they have drawn interest in storylines this year, for example the Anderson-Angle storyline you mentioned or the "they" stuff. IMO this adds a real edge to the rivalry and makes Jarrett seem like a b*****d and Angle someone you sympathise with. How would you have booked their feud?

That is a wrestlers personal life which is, quite frankly, nobody's business. His professional life is different however.

To me, if they are happy to have their personal life used in storylines then I think that is fine.

What is the difference in storylines in the Attitude Era and now? examples included

Near enough everyone has internet access now. In 2000, for example, this was much rarer. Information is much more readily available now. People know more about the industry and the way it works. In the Attitude Era and in ECW, the hardcore stuff was more shocking as it hadn't been done before eg Hell in a Cell matches, or the use of sledgehammers or barbed wire. Now I think that using this kind of stuff ala Angle/Jarrett is at the cutting edge.

Are you trying to tell me Kurt is happy to do an angle (twice now by the way) that quite obviously exposes his personal (not professional) life to the world without the slightest bit embarassment?

He must be, otherwise it wouldn't be happening.

As Marshmallo has said, yes.

Angle, out of the wrestlers, will be one of the top guys in that company. Thus meaning he has a lot of pull there. For instance, if he was booked to take the kind of chair shot Anderson took, he'd be able to tell them to f**k off because he's not doing it.

After deciding to skip RAW, I'm a bit more up for Impact than I usually am. Mainly because I'm missing my weekly wrestling fix for the week !

Kinda gutted I missed Jack Swagger vs. Daniel Bryan, but that's how the cookie crumbles I guess.

* Open with Ric Flair ? WHOO !!! He says it's another packed house for Fortune and Immortal. I suppose you can't really argue with that.

* Ric Flair moves onto Morgan, saying that Immortal have decided that there's going to be a special ref for the next match between Morgan and Hardy. Ric Flair. Otherwise known as God, according to the Naitch.

* Matt Morgan is out. Ric Flair says that Matt Morgan needs to beat HIM tonight. The fans chant "Do it !". Nike. Morgan says that he'll do it.

* Ric Flair is on top form btw. Matt Morgan is in total serious mode to contrast Flair's hilarity. Well, that was a fun opening promo thanks to the Naitch.

* Backstage with Generation Me heading to the Zone. Tara sees them back there and says she'll be watching. Tara slaps Jeremy on the ass and Max congratulates him. :lol:

=========================================

Motor City Machine Guns, Velvet Sky and Jay Lethal vs. Generation Me, Cookie and Robbie E.

* Not much to be said other than this is a good little all action 8 person tag match here. Dodgy finish, but it's TV stuff so you can't complain. **

* Backstage with Jeff Jarrett and he appears to be doing some MMA training.

* We're still back with JJ, and he says he's going to give an MMA exhibition as he has a new found love for the sport. He doesn't want Kurt Angle to interfere with it.

* JJ slaps the smirk off of Borash's face and that was NOT a popular thing in the Impact Zone. He wants Borash in the ring to describe the pain they're going through. Borash asks "what happened to you ?". JJ says the usual stuff and Borash is as convinced as the rest of us.

* We now go to Tazz and Tenay. FF.

* We head for the ring for the JJ MMA Exhibition. The fans chant "boring". I'm agreeing. I'm sure this all has a point, but did TNA not realise what happens when you mix MMA with wrestling ? They should know !

* Jarrett uses a chance to namedrop Ken Shamrock, Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir in the same segment, but these fans honestly don't give a shit.

* Samoa Joe's music hits and he's had enough. By the reaction of the audience, so have they. Joe wants JJ to spar with him. JJ says if Joe can go through the last two students, he can get Jarrett later.

Samoa Joe vs. Suckers

* They tap out.

Samoa Joe vs. Jeff Jarrett, Submissions Match

* JJ feeds his students to Joe and JJ does a runner. I suppose the segment on the whole did the job it intended even if it bored my tits off for the most part.

Jeff Hardy vs. Raven

* "And now his opponent ... Raven" :lol: I like that.

* Raven isn't a very nice sight these days, is he ? Seriously, who would actually care if he got sacked ? I was rooting for him getting dumped in that big PPV tag match. Him or Rhino.

* Even Raven's offense looks like that of an old man now. Not good at all.

* The match was too short to show the weaknesses of Raven and I got the result I wanted, so I won't be harsh. *

* EV 2.0 go out to console Raven, and Hogan turns up and congratulates Hardy and has some words for Raven. "Wah ! Wah ! Wah ! You're fired Raven. Quote the Hulkster. Nevermore."

* Tommy Dreamer is in the ring and he wants Rhino to do some explaining. Can someone drop a grenade on these two while they're in the same place ?

* Eric Bischoff is the only person that cares about Rhino apparently.

* Rhino says he was in TNA years before Tommy Dreamer and Rob Van Dam. And for most of that, he meant nothing. That's my opinion btw, not anything Rhino says.

* Rhino says he doesn't take a backseat to anybody. Apart from the majority of the roster maybe ? Tommy Dreamer thinks he's one of the best athletes to step into a TNA ring. Is he f**k. Dreamer and RVD believe in TNA and the guys in the back.

* Dreamer says that Rhino sold out his friends for the almighty dollar. Rhino says that sometimes desperate people do desperate things, and he's absolutely in the right here actually. And he's getting booed for it ?

* Tommy Dreamer : "I'm a dad too." Fans : "Aaawwww." Dreamer says he quit on him and Rhino attacks, and this draws out Rob Van Dam. Rhino Gores RVD. That was a boring as f**k segment.

* Backstage with Matt Morgan and says he's not going to get starry eyed against Flair.

Abyss vs. Shannon Moore, Casket Match

* As much as Shannon Moore has admittedly improved, I still like to see him suffer.

* Shannon Moore got in far too much early offense considering how slowly he was unloading. Abyss should have been able to recover and start mauling him.

* Why is Shannon Moore winning in a brawl with Abyss ? Moore should never be able to exchange right hands with the big man.

* Okay, Moore hits an awesome Asai Moonsault over the Casket. Kudos.

* I don't know if having the match so long was a good idea, but what I do know is that they made Moore look pretty good in this one. I didn't ever think he had a chance, but a strong outing is always a good thing. **

* The Pope was in the casket at the end btw, and he unloads on Abyss. Abyss high tails it out of there.

Angelina Love vs. Mickie James

* This is pretty poor stuff. It's recently occured to me that Mickie James is "carryable". If she's in there with someone good, she can usually raise her game to match them. If she's in there with someone shit, the match will most likely be absolutely terrible. Angelina Love isn't horrible, but she's not very good, so this match isn't very good.

* Why give big finisher killing nearfalls to a TV match that isn't even very good ? Right, rating is ... 1/2*

* Backstage with Angelina Love who is throwing a fit. Winter is with Love now. f**k off Winter. I'd rather have SFA referee Brian Winter.

* Brother Ray is now heading for the ring. He says he kicked Devon in the back of the head because he can. He says he's going to give an explanation.

* Brother Ray says 15 years ago, he created the best tag team move in the history of the business. The 3D. He says everyone has fallen to that move. He says nobody has kicked out before Chris Sabin.

* Brother Ray says that the 3D was kicked out of because Devon is weak. The fans want Devon. Ray says that he's the Shawn Michaels and Devon is the Marty Jannetty. Now that Ray is done, he's leaving.

Matt Morgan vs. Ric Flair

* Ric Flair has always been very much the same, but he definately has a different demeanor in the ring these days.

* Why does Ric Flair bleed pretty much all of the time these days ?

* Fortune hit the ring and they go to work on Matt Morgan big time. Douglas Williams isn't taking part in the beating here. Williams floors Styles. Roode gets in Williams' face. Morgan comes back with shots.

* After all of that, the match is still going on and we're back with Flair and Morgan. Morgan gets the Carbon Footprint and he picks the ref.

After deciding to skip RAW, I'm a bit more up for Impact than I usually am. Mainly because I'm missing my weekly wrestling fix for the week !

Any particular reason for skipping Raw this week? I personally thought it was one of the best Raw's in a long long time.

Couldn't be arsed with them wheeling out the usual legends for cheap pops.

It was quite well done, in fairness. Few faces we haven't seen in a long time (along with those that just never go away). I can see them making it an annual thing.

It was quite well done, in fairness. Few faces we haven't seen in a long time (along with those that just never go away). I can see them making it an annual thing.

Would be pretty cool to make it a usual thing. I loved the old set, music etc.

I read the other day that they are thinking of doing an old school Nitro after the success of the Raw one. Dont quite know how that would work, considering most of the old WCW guys are now in TNA.