The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Hmm, I know this was recorded a few weeks ago but you'd think, for the sake of continuity, that they wouldn't have Cena defend the WWE Title at this event.

More for the sake of not giving away the winner, how would Jericho have any chance of winning since Cena's not even the champion?

I also hate the Tribute To The Troops thing, the whole thing's just John Cena. Loved seeing Kelly Kelly on it though. :wub:

More for the sake of not giving away the winner, how would Jericho have any chance of winning since Cena's not even the champion?

I also hate the Tribute To The Troops thing, the whole thing's just John Cena. Loved seeing Kelly Kelly on it though. :wub:

Good point.

As for your second paragraph ... I think I prefer Cena to Kelly Kelly .... :ph34r:

4th of January should be intresting. Bret Hart going back to RAW :D and Hogan debuting on TNA! I'll definitley be tuning into both shows. I hope Hart does something with the Hart Dynasty. It makes sense plus it would give them a massive push. I liked someones suggestion of Hart Dyansty/w Bret Hart v DX/w Vince McMahon at Wrestlemania. It would probably be a top match (imagine the Hart Dynasty on one of the top matches of Wrestlemania)! Not only that but you have the three guys involved in the Montreal screw job and also it would be intresting to see how DX would get along with McMahon seeing how DX have spent most of their career together taking the piss out of him!

If it's not that it will be Hart v McMahon in some form with HBK some how involved (perhaps he could be the referee) or, Hart and McMahon could pick people to represent them and HBK would be the guy McMahon picked.

Hmm, I know this was recorded a few weeks ago but you'd think, for the sake of continuity, that they wouldn't have Cena defend the WWE Title at this event.

I don't watch wrestling any more and only read this thread when bored and to see if anything exciting has happened/someone has died, but werent you all saying that you dont think Cena was meant to lose his match against Sheamus? that could explain it.

I don't watch wrestling any more and only read this thread when bored and to see if anything exciting has happened/someone has died, but werent you all saying that you dont think Cena was meant to lose his match against Sheamus? that could explain it.

If that was true they would probably have had Cena win it back on RAW on Monday.

If that was true they would probably have had Cena win it back on RAW on Monday.

Not necessarily, especially since they're on the road to Wrestlemania and didn't appear to have anything lined up. Also you had Cena already planned to win a four man tourney involving the guys in the Superstar of the Year poll.

They have a few weeks I reckon to take the belt off of Sheamus, if it wasn't a planned title change.

Not necessarily, especially since they're on the road to Wrestlemania and didn't appear to have anything lined up. Also you had Cena already planned to win a four man tourney involving the guys in the Superstar of the Year poll.

They have a few weeks I reckon to take the belt off of Sheamus, if it wasn't a planned title change.

But Vince doesn't seem to be the kind to risk puttin the title on the wrong guy. I think it may be because of Ortons first WH title reign.

But Vince doesn't seem to be the kind to risk puttin the title on the wrong guy. I think it may be because of Ortons first WH title reign.

Orton's first title reign wasn't because he was the wrong guy, as the heat that he was getting both before, during and after the match would tell, but rather because the WWE rushed the face push and had Triple H bury him for a while. It seems that any time Randy Orton becomes a legit star, WWE want to destroy him.

Sheamus is an unknown and inexperienced champion, and probably not ready, much like CM Punk first time around. But they might well be willing to give him a fair crack at the whip and use it as a tool to get him over.

Orton's first title reign wasn't because he was the wrong guy, as the heat that he was getting both before, during and after the match would tell, but rather because the WWE rushed the face push and had Triple H bury him for a while. It seems that any time Randy Orton becomes a legit star, WWE want to destroy him.

Sheamus is an unknown and inexperienced champion, and probably not ready, much like CM Punk first time around. But they might well be willing to give him a fair crack at the whip and use it as a tool to get him over.

CM Punk inexperienced? By the time he came to WWE he had been wrestling for 7/8years and had worked for every other promotion going, including working in Japan. Sheamus has done pretty much nothing and only worked the UK and Ireland before signing. I don't really think you can compare the two.

It must have been planned. I don't believe for a second that Vince would just sit backstage and go "hmm. We'll need to sort that in the next few weeks". He would have been down there in an instant to give them both a bollocking, and I'm sure he is sensible enough to see that the very weak finish could have been used as a way to restart the match. Just go with the whole "he fell" thing.

The way the commentators questioned the legality of the finish at the end convinced me that it was all planned. Are there any other faces in the line for a title run on Raw? It could have been a simple way to get the belt onto another face without making Cena look a bit silly when the crowd is split, and giving Sheamus a little confidence boost as well. Just a little trial run preparing for a more prolonged period with the title next year?

CM Punk inexperienced? By the time he came to WWE he had been wrestling for 7/8years and had worked for every other promotion going, including working in Japan. Sheamus has done pretty much nothing and only worked the UK and Ireland before signing. I don't really think you can compare the two.

Well, Sheamus would have been wrestling for that amount of time as well, but that wasn't the point he was trying to make. I think he's saying that CM Punk was still relatively new to WWE audiences when he took the world title, and to some, it seemed like it was far too early for him. It's obviously too early for Sheamus to have the world title, but they seem to have confidence in him.

Well, Sheamus would have been wrestling for that amount of time as well, but that wasn't the point he was trying to make. I think he's saying that CM Punk was still relatively new to WWE audiences when he took the world title, and to some, it seemed like it was far too early for him. It's obviously too early for Sheamus to have the world title, but they seem to have confidence in him.

Yes but Punk had been in the business 7 or 8 years when he signed with WWE, it was almost another 2 years before he became WHC.

Yes but Punk had been in the business 7 or 8 years when he signed with WWE, it was almost another 2 years before he became WHC.

During which time he hadn't really established himself as a main eventer, if I remember correctly. Not that I am saying Sheamus has - far from it.

CM Punk was inexperienced in the eyes of WWE, which is REALLY all that matters. When you end up in WWE, you're in the same boat as the rest these days, as evidenced by the many indy darlings that have come and gone with mixed success. Sheamus doing nothing but wrestling in the UK and Ireland isn't really much. In the eyes of WWE, CM Punk did nothing but wrestle the US indies.

Some fairly good points from Toma, apart from ...

The way the commentators questioned the legality of the finish at the end convinced me that it was all planned.

Might have been just a sort of way to prepare fans incase someone DID come and switch it.

CM Punk was inexperienced in the eyes of WWE, which is REALLY all that matters. When you end up in WWE, you're in the same boat as the rest these days, as evidenced by the many indy darlings that have come and gone with mixed success. Sheamus doing nothing but wrestling in the UK and Ireland isn't really much. In the eyes of WWE, CM Punk did nothing but wrestle the US indies.

Theres a difference between being experienced and being over with the audience. In fact I think Punks experience was a big part of why he was given the title.

Also, a really good match between HBK and Jeff Jarrett for the IC Title on Vintage Collection tonight.