The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I've been thinking about that one. This isn't the first time they've shoved someone in a main event without them actually being a main eventer. Razor Ramon faced Bret Hart at the Rumble one year and didn't see a main event ever again, even though he was pretty popular.

I'm willing to bet that they just want to see how Sheamus handles himself in a big match. Winning the MitB is a little different.

When Punk won MitB Iwouldn't have said he was a bona fide main eventer yet they put him over in MitB. They are doing all they can to push him and by the time Mania rolls round I could see him being "that guy".

When Punk won MitB Iwouldn't have said he was a bona fide main eventer yet they put him over in MitB. They are doing all they can to push him and by the time Mania rolls round I could see him being "that guy".

I totally forgot that CM Punk won it two years ago. :lol:

Lets hope that if Drew McIntyre is "that guy" in 2010, that he doesn't get treated like a schmuck like CM Punk did in his first run.

It does strike me as odd that we could see a Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre main event at some point in the near future. Their matches were torture over here.

What do people think of McIntyre BTW? I can't really form an opinion on him as I can't get over him being Scottish, so I'm biased. I see the opinion's split on him on other forums though.

He needs to sort that accent though. I have to really concentrate to understand his promos, so I wonder how hard it is for Americans.

Edited by Denji

What do people think of McIntyre BTW? I can't really form an opinion on him as I can't get over him being Scottish, so I'm biased. I see the opinion's split on him on other forums though.

He needs to sort that accent though. I have to really concentrate to understand his promos, so I wonder how hard it is for Americans.

He's not really done much in WWE to be fair. His squash matches are decent enough. He did not click at all with R-Truth in a longer match and I hope that isn't going to be something that's a problem. His fued with Finlay has shown that he can cut it as a badass heel and play the role well, but his promos need a LOT of work. He actually dumped the stupid rough voice at the PPV and cut a natural promo and sounded MUCH better.

He definately has the tools to make it in WWE.

WCW Superbrawl VI

Public Enemy vs. The Nasty Boys, Street Fight

I might have seen this match at some point in the past actually. Either that or I seen a rematch. I think they had loads. No, it's this match, as I recognize the commentary right off the bat. I'll watch it again anyways. The match is the chaotic sort of match and you could tell that WCW were trying to replicate some of what ECW were creating around the same time when they were creating quite a buzz. There's only so much you can do with a more family orientated product to cater for as well though. The match just sort of dies on it's arse, but definately points for effort here. **

Mean Gene says that two former WWE champions will be heading for WCW. This is a subtle little nod to the best wrestling faction ever. Konan is backstage. He doesn't have much to say so I don't really care.

Johnny B. Badd © vs. Diamond Dallas Page - WCW Television Championship

The Diamond Doll is with Badd by this stage. A better match than their Starrcade outing thanks to what would appear to be more familiarity with each other. They didn't botch the more complicated stuff, including a really nifty DDT that they probably would have fucked up in their 1995 PPV meeting. The match could have done with about 5 minutes being shaved from it though as DDP was still as green as the green green grass. Still a cracking wee match that the fans were well into. Probably should have opened the show with this. ***1/4

Backstage with Mean Gene and he talks to Harlem Heat about their tag team titles. They are not happy with the way they lost the tag team titles. Lex Luger totally owned them. Apparently the winners face The Road Warriors tonight.

Sting and Lex Luger © vs. Harlem Heat - WCW World Tag Team Championships

The Road Warriors hinted that they might want to interfere in this match to make sure that they get Sting and Luger after what happened in their match on Nitro. I don't care how many times you throw these guys in the ring with each other. It's pretty clear that they have absolutely zero chemistry with each other. Come to think of it, Harlem Heat were nowhere near the great tag team that some people try to tout them as. Any match they had at length was as boring as sin, no matter who their opponents were. Should be noted that The Road Warriors did interfere and put Sting and Luger through. *1/2

Sting and Lex Luger with Mean Gene. Lex Luger doesn't care about how they won. Sting doesn't seem to care either. Superb.

Konan © vs. One Man Gang - WCW United States Championship

It's quite funny watching Konan try and be some sort of cruiserweight wrestler. It really doesn't work. One Man Gang isn't very good on the offense. Completely one dimensional stuff from him. They go on about One Man Gang beating Kensuke Sasaki which would explain him getting a match with the US Champion. Every single flashy move Konan does looks horrible and then you have OMG doing the "pull up" on a three count which infuriates me. Why do that in a match where there's no fued AND a title on the line ? DUD

Mean Gene talks about a plumbing problem. Excellent. The Road Warriors are there and say it's an eye for an eye when it comes to Sting and Luger and say "too bad" to Harlem Heat.

Brian Pillman vs. The Taskmaster, Strap Match

I've actually been looking forward to this. The build up to it has been brilliant with Pillman really coming into his own as the loose cannon. They get right to it before the bell even rings and they clearly just want to beat the shit out of each other. Pillman says then "I respect you, booker man !" and walks out. I didn't realise it was this match. I'm kinda disappointed now. Pillman was fired for breaking kayfabe, but Bischoff and Pillman came up with all of this together, to allow Pillman to further his Loose Cannon gimmick in ECW, and then come back to WCW with bigger heat, but he didn't go back. HA ! Anyways N/A

The commentators completely ignore the "booker man" comment. Arn Anderson wants himself some of Kevin Sullivan anyways. Oh, THEY'RE having the match now. That's interesting.

The Taskmaster vs. Arn Anderson, Strap Match

This is just a really crappy match. I guess there's only so much you can expect from a match which is basically just two guys brawling and whipping each other. Ric Flair heads for the ring and he's calling the whole thing off. They provide a united front at the end, and that's a miserable end to a miserable match. DUD

Sting and Lex Luger © vs. The Road Warriors - WCW Tag Team Championships

Lex Luger just decides that he won't wrestle untill the LOD take off their spikes, basically continuing the Luger "I'm a twat" story. The spikes come off and he does a runner. :lol: Hawk does an STF which is quite a surprise. I didn't think they knew much wrestling moves. This thing is all over the place but at the same time, it's compelling stuff because it's a war and it's physical and that makes the botches seem almost right. I particularly liked Lex Luger doing his bit to confuse anyone who was watching with his weirdly timed help to his partner. All in all, it's a bit shit, but very watchable. Thumbs in the middle. **1/2

Randy Savage © vs. Ric Flair, Steel Cage Match - WCW World Heavyweight Championship

You'd think I'd be sick of seeing these two battle by now, but all of their matches seem to be different, and with this being in a cage, I'm sure this will be as well. There's a photographer following Elizabeth all over the place. Perv. Much like the last match, this one is a hell of a physical battle. Especially when Savage is in control, he just wants to maul Flair. We see Flair's arse twice and very nearly see more than that. Ric Flair wins with the help of Elizabeth, much to my shock. This match lacks something but it's still immensly entertaining. ***

Hulk Hogan hits the ring and Ric Flair escapes with the help of Arn Anderson.

The Giant vs. Hulk Hogan, Steel Cage Match

This is apparently an "unsanctioned" match which basically means the referee is on the floor and we have the WWE "escape only" rules to the match, rather than the pinfalls that you normally had in WCW cage matches. A small "Hogan Sucks !" chant breaks out. Not because of them being fans of The Giant. The fans don't seem to care about anything that he's doing. Hogan shows off his heel potential again by doing every cheating move in the book before the bell even rings. This ends the run of decent heated matches by being a boring plodding brawl. Particularly disappointing because of the lack of work on the eye from The Giant. DUD

After the match, The Taskmaster attacks with a steel chair, which Hogan promptly takes and chases him with. Hogan throws The Taskmaster in the cage. He's in there with The Giant as well though, and then the Dungeon of Doom hit the ring. Hogan is cleaning house with the chair. Ugh. This is disgusting. Loch Ness then heads for the ring. YUSS !!! Giant Haystacks to us of course. The Dungeon of Doom hold back Loch Ness though, because they don't want him to be buried on the first night out, and that's end of show.

OVERALL

They really couldn't have left a worst taste in my mouth with that ending to the PPV, but at the same time, we did get to see Giant Haystacks. There was some right crap and mediocre stuff on here and when it comes down to it, you have to say that this wasn't a very good PPV at all.

Brian Pillman vs. The Taskmaster, Strap Match

I've actually been looking forward to this. The build up to it has been brilliant with Pillman really coming into his own as the loose cannon. They get right to it before the bell even rings and they clearly just want to beat the shit out of each other. Pillman says then "I respect you, booker man !" and walks out. I didn't realise it was this match. I'm kinda disappointed now. Pillman was fired for breaking kayfabe, but Bischoff and Pillman came up with all of this together, to allow Pillman to further his Loose Cannon gimmick in ECW, and then come back to WCW with bigger heat, but he didn't go back. HA ! Anyways N/A

Pillman was a fucking immense talent. The whole 'loose cannon' gimmick was fantastic in that you never knew if he was being booked like that, or he was genuinely going out there and winging it, breaking kayfabe and pushing boundaries.

One of the best, most believeable gimmicks ever, IMO. And I reckon that was all down to just how crazy Pillman may or may not have been. That's what I loved about the guy....you just never really knew.

Pillman was a fucking immense talent. The whole 'loose cannon' gimmick was fantastic in that you never knew if he was being booked like that, or he was genuinely going out there and winging it, breaking kayfabe and pushing boundaries.

One of the best, most believeable gimmicks ever, IMO. And I reckon that was all down to just how crazy Pillman may or may not have been. That's what I loved about the guy....you just never really knew.

Absolutely. His first promo in ECW was absolutely amazing. It would have been nice if he was in better ring shape because a blowoff match with Shane Douglas would have been the business.

The thing I love about Pillman was that the worse he got as an actual wrestler, the more I actually care about him. The fued with Goldust is an under-rated gem of a fued.

Absolutely. His first promo in ECW was absolutely amazing. It would have been nice if he was in better ring shape because a blowoff match with Shane Douglas would have been the business.

The thing I love about Pillman was that the worse he got as an actual wrestler, the more I actually care about him. The fued with Goldust is an under-rated gem of a fued.

Which unfortunately never recahed it's natural conclusion. :(

His wrestling went downhill at an alarming rate after the crash which only heightened his addiction to painkillers.

On the mic though, you'd struggle to find a more interesting and believeable character. The whole 'Pillmans got a gun' angle was when the attitude era really kicked in and boundaries started to be pushed in the WWF.

He's not really done much in WWE to be fair. His squash matches are decent enough. He did not click at all with R-Truth in a longer match and I hope that isn't going to be something that's a problem. His fued with Finlay has shown that he can cut it as a badass heel and play the role well, but his promos need a LOT of work. He actually dumped the stupid rough voice at the PPV and cut a natural promo and sounded MUCH better.

I'm not so sure it's him, it's the Scottish accent. You can be the biggest, baddest looking moterfucker in the company but the Scottish accent just doesnt work for promos.

I'm not so sure it's him, it's the Scottish accent. You can be the biggest, baddest looking moterfucker in the company but the Scottish accent just doesnt work for promos.

It doesn't sound like a natural Ayrshire accent IMO. It's like something you'd expect to hear in Braveheart. If only he had a deep voice like 'the big man' from Chewin' The Fat. That'd be a class promo voice for a badass heel. :P

It's him. I know his natural voice and his "promo" voice, and what he uses in WWE is definately his promo voice. It definately works when he's a babyface and he's all fired up and shouty and stuff, but as the dark heel ? He just sounds stupid.

You got a wee listen to his natural voice at Survivor Series actually in the backstage interview.

I remember he started using the rough voice just before he left for America. I wasn't a fan, it sounded too forced.

I still find it absolutely surreal that both he and Seamus are in WWE. Mental.

I think this may date back to the Royal Rumble. Was the Rock meant to touch the floor when the Big Show was eliminated. Who was meant to win? If the Rock meant to touch the floor then fair enough but if it wasn't surely it would have just been a Rock vs Triple H match at Wrestlemania 2000?

When talking about the fatal 4 way elimination match at Wrestlemania 2000 on the other wrestling thread. Can anyone enlighten me as it didn't seem to get much recognition on that thread ??

It's him. I know his natural voice and his "promo" voice, and what he uses in WWE is definately his promo voice. It definately works when he's a babyface and he's all fired up and shouty and stuff, but as the dark heel ? He just sounds stupid.

You got a wee listen to his natural voice at Survivor Series actually in the backstage interview.

I know his natural voice too but what I meant was I don't think it's just him. Anypromo in a Scottish accent is awful, even moreson when they are surrounded by the top American guys.

I know his natural voice too but what I meant was I don't think it's just him. Anypromo in a Scottish accent is awful, even moreson when they are surrounded by the top American guys.

That's just the thing though. He just spoke clearly at the SS and it actually sounded good, even with the Scottish accent. Hopefully, Vinny Mac took note of that.

When talking about the fatal 4 way elimination match at Wrestlemania 2000 on the other wrestling thread. Can anyone enlighten me as it didn't seem to get much recognition on that thread ??

Not sure. I think you're right though. The bringing back of Foley and inclusion of Show in the four way did seem to be a bit of an afterthought.

The one arguement against that is that they might have been there to act as a sort of sideshow for the fueding McMahons.

I'm gonna watch one of my old PPV videos (aye, a video) after Smackdown tonight. Can't decide between Wrestlemania 16, Wrestlemania 17, Royal Rumble 2001 and Bad Blood 2003. What one should I go for? I can't remember much from any of them, so no spoilers please.

I'm gonna watch one of my old PPV videos (aye, a video) after Smackdown tonight. Can't decide between Wrestlemania 16, Wrestlemania 17, Royal Rumble 2001 and Bad Blood 2003. What one should I go for? I can't remember much from any of them, so no spoilers please.

Rumble 2001 and Mania X-7. Mania is the clear favourite here though, as it's widely seen as the greatest PPV of all time. Austin vs. Rock is the bees knees.

I quite like Rumble 2001 though. Jericho/Benoit is just BRUTAL in the ladder match and there's an under-rated gem of an opener with Edge and Christian vs. The Dudleys.

Choose between Mania 17 and Rumble 2001. In my opinion, the best Rumble Match ever and the greatest Mania Main Event.