The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I was actually thinking that might be the end of Christian/Regal. I'm wondering where it goes from there, but it did seem like a definitive ending.

Right, time to get going again. This will be the first of, hopefully, three reviews I'll be doing tonight.

The History of the World Championship Disc Two Part One

There's quite a bit of crap on these DVDs so there's only so much I can take at one time.

Ric Flair vs. Scott Steiner - WCW Clash of the Champions 30/01/1991

I've heard lots about this match being disappointing because it gets cut short pretty quickly but I'm sure it'll be good stuff before that happens. Horrific blown spot as they blow a Cross Body Block going over the top rope. Scotty doesn't go over, so he JUMPS over the top rope, which quite frankly looks ridiculous. He should have covered his arse by going through the ropes. Definately all over the place on timing. They started the match like they were going LOOOOONG, and then they suddenly head into a final stretch. Hurt the match badly. They'll get a good rating for putting on a good match under the limitations but this should have been much better. ***

Barry Windham vs. Lex Luger, Steel Cage Match - WCW Great American Bash 1991

You can hear the fans chanting "We Want Flair" right from the off. This is because he was fired over a contract dispute and removed from the main event. He then took the WCW Title to WWE with him, where he'd be the real world champion. The majority of this crowd are completely shitting on this. That might be more to do with the match not being very good though. This is a match so bad, the producers take to showing the crowd a lot of the time. I can only assume that this made it onto the DVD because of it's historic value. They REALLY tried to save it towards the end, which points out that maybe the short time they had to prepare hurt them. I'll give them points for the effort at the end, but this isn't good. *

Vader vs. Ron Simmons - WCW 02/08/1992

Ron Simmons was the first black heavyweight champion, was he not ? f**k me sideways, that was some really good shit. Hard hitting as hell and the fans were all over it, instead unlike in the last match, it was in a good way. Ron Simmons was all filled with fire and fury while Vader brought the good stuff like he always did. Finally on this disc, we get a match which really sets things going. ***3/4

Vader vs. Ricky Steamboat, Lumberjack Match - 16/10/1993

This will help. It's as if Ron Simmons never won the title. :P This was actually the last match in a fued between these guys I think. Can't remember what happened, but they did have matches on Worldwide and Saturday Night before this one. This is a match which, thanks to the gimmick, is ravaged with problems before they even start the match, but they manage to get through that and provide us with a match which is watchable, but from a match between two guys of this caliber, you want much much more. ***

Much better than I expected from Simmons and Vader, but the rest of the matches just weren't up to what I thought they were gonna be. Really disappointing disc so far, which can only get worse really.

WWE Superstars 12/11/2009

Matt Hardy vs. David Hart Smith

Matt Hardy seems to have gone back to his pretty stagnant times. Haven't WWE noticed that he always has this time as a babyface unless he's with Jeff Hardy ? Get the hint and make him a heel on a permanent basis. The stuff before the break wasn't good, but it was as if the break gave them a second chance, and they took it with great appreciation. They ended up getting the match going and producing a decent TV match. **3/4

Tyler Reks vs. Shelton Benjamin

When they announced that this would be on this show, I thought it might be one of the main matches, but they just throw it on one of the mid show spots which doesn't please me at all. They did not bad with the time given, but restholding and a shit ending drag this below the watchable ratings. *1/2

Ted Dibiase vs. MVP

This is your main event for the evening ! These two guys are alright I suppose, but neither man can really set the heather alight and you pretty much get a good feel for that here. Basically sound stuff here, but neither man has much in the way of character and you can't really get behind the match. Maybe the opener could have been a better choice of a main event, and actually felt like a bigger match. This was alright though. **1/2

OVERALL

Superstars has a pretty good formula and it works. Now and again you get a pleasant surprise, but this was one of them shows which delivers the basics of a good show.

SPOILERS AHEAD

WWE Smackdown 13/11/2009

CM Punk has a microphone before his match with whoever he's up against. He can be happy that his referee isn't Scott Armstrong. It's basically a promo slagging off the UK but it's better than most promos of the same ilk, so fair enough. R-Truth says he wants to file a complaint against CM Punk. It gets childish at that point, but it's R-Truth, so what do you expect ?

CM Punk vs. R-Truth

Much better match here actually, thanks to some pretty damn impressive selling from Truth when Punk was in control of the match, and impressively didn't forget about it during the comeback, which is a mistake that a lot of guys, if not most, seem to make. Could have been a bit longer and better, but the difference this week is that both guys put together a very nice match, but it was cut short by the cheap finish. I can take that so long as we see more between the two guys. **1/2

Mickie James is backstage with Layla and they sort of suck the life out of the segment and me.

Mickie James vs. Natalya

This might be decent actually. It turns out that it's another short, fun and physical match between these two ladies. Why is Mickie being wasted on two useless bints when she could be up against the likes of Natalya ? It's not as if Layla and McCool even have charisma about them. Layla in particular is a void. *3/4

Backstage with John Morrison and he talks about nerve and pressure and how he handles it. Not bad.

Drew McIntyre has the microphone. The usual shit promo with shit delivery.

Drew McIntyre vs. Finlay

"Wasn't there a novel about Great Expectations ?"

"Yeah, they were great."

f**k YEAH !!! This is what I'm talking about. Intense and brutal right from the off and I hated when the ref called an end to it. The guy when it comes to what he does in the ring in WWE is really impressive, but it'll come to nothing if he can't get the other important stuff sorted. *

Drew McIntyre attacks Finlay afterwards. The facials are great here too. The potential is there, that's for certain. I really want to see this fued continue.

We now have the contract signing between Rey Mysterio and Batista. Batista has a contract with him which says he can't be legally held accountable for what he does to Rey Mysterio at Survivor Series. Batista remains magnificent here as the Grade A c**t. Rey turns the table on Batista, which gets a "Who Are Ya" chant. :lol: I liked that segment.

John Morrison © vs. Dolph Ziggler - WWE Intercontinental Championship

I can only hope this gets decent time and is the end of the fued. There's plenty of time for the last two matches here, if these ARE the last two. Hate the ending, especially since they seemed to be building into something pretty special. These two guys have wrestled in front of some really dead crowds in this fueds even when the action has been great. I'm enjoying it though. ***

Beth Phoenix vs. Lisa Taylor

How on earth could I forget a Beth squash ? No change this week. It's still fun. DUD

Backstage, Chris Jericho says he'll win and that's basically it.

Chris Jericho vs. The Undertaker

This is the first time ever in a singles match apparently, and I think the commentators might be right about that for a change ! Not sure though. Can anyone else clear that one up ? This is about as good a match as you're going to see from The Undertaker in his current state. Some brilliant stuff towards the end of this match. All sorts of good counters from Jericho which you don't normally see in an Undertaker match outside of big PPV outings. Really enjoyable, and while I'm sure they'd be able to do better in different circumstances, this is a good 'un. ***3/4

The Big Show comes out at the end in his gear, which isn't a good sign. Jerishow then take advantage of the numbers and assault The Undertaker. Kane hits the ring and helps his brother. Next week, We're gonna see The Undertaker and Kane vs. Chris Jericho and The Big Show.

OVERALL

That's an amazing episode of WWE TV ladies and gentlemen. TWO matches which hit 3* and one that could have potentially done so if it had played out untill it's end. A couple of decent promos, including the brilliant Rey/Batista segment. Loved this.

This is the first time ever in a singles match apparently, and I think the commentators might be right about that for a change ! Not sure though. Can anyone else clear that one up ?

That has been racking my brain all fecking day. I was thinking they maybe had one at one of the UK events like Rebellion or Insurrexion but I cant find one.

One of my metalhead friends linked me to the recent Ozzy/Sharon Osbourne appearance on Raw. Was cringing to watch. So this is DX back again? How many times is this?

Really sad to see how bad certain aspects of WWE has become, I won't doubt (as I havnt seen any recent matches since ECW one night stand 2007?) the talent of the athletes but the whole Ozzy thing and I remember being showed that Edge/Lita 'shagging sesh' in the middle of the ring ages ago - just terrible.

Vince = c**t

N.W.O. 4 Life

Don't Sing It, Bring It

That has been racking my brain all fecking day. I was thinking they maybe had one at one of the UK events like Rebellion or Insurrexion but I cant find one.

Nah they did'nt, the match on Smackdown was the first ever 1 on 1 match they have had. I noticed Jericho tweeting a month or two ago that (that night) he had been in the ring with 'Taker for the first time despite being in WWE for 10 years. I believe the match was a 6 man tag on a house show.

I aint watched Smackdown yet but I'm disappointed that they have went and had Y2J - Taker on Smackdown, I really thought they would save that for WM26.

I guess if they're doing that now it will leave Y2J - Edge for WM26.

One of my metalhead friends linked me to the recent Ozzy/Sharon Osbourne appearance on Raw. Was cringing to watch. So this is DX back again? How many times is this?

Really sad to see how bad certain aspects of WWE has become, I won't doubt (as I havnt seen any recent matches since ECW one night stand 2007?) the talent of the athletes but the whole Ozzy thing and I remember being showed that Edge/Lita 'shagging sesh' in the middle of the ring ages ago - just terrible.

The storylines are weak as hell because they have now taken a PG approach. You still get cracking matches on a weekly basis and the past few PPV's have really good but it still remains that the majority of stories are shit.

I aint watched Smackdown yet but I'm disappointed that they have went and had Y2J - Taker on Smackdown, I really thought they would save that for WM26.

I guess if they're doing that now it will leave Y2J - Edge for WM26.

I was thinking that Taker will either lose his streak, or beat Kane and end Wrestlemania on a high. I can't see him losing his streak to Jericho. I was thinking it might be Cena, or one of Legacy. Maybe even Randy Orton.

But yeah, they could have gone with Jericho vs. Taker at the Survivor Series PPV. No need for Show to be there. Seems a waste having it on Smackdown.

I was thinking that Taker will either lose his streak, or beat Kane and end Wrestlemania on a high. I can't see him losing his streak to Jericho. I was thinking it might be Cena, or one of Legacy. Maybe even Randy Orton.

But yeah, they could have gone with Jericho vs. Taker at the Survivor Series PPV. No need for Show to be there. Seems a waste having it on Smackdown.

You take it too serious :lol:

Vince = c**t

N.W.O. 4 Life

Don't Sing It, Bring It

Never heard that said in a while. Used to love watching the NWO take a year to get to the ring (and i refer to the year 1997 and not a day forward). By the time of 1998 fans were bored with the NWO and WCW just didn't know how to get passed the NWO angle.

Just had a listen to Jimi Hendrix there and didn't realise how similar the riffs are to the NWO entrance music. Listen to "Highway Chile" if you dont know what i mean.

Can anyone enlighten me as to when the Hulkster will be making his appearance on TNA????????????

Would be awesome to seem him make a surprise entrance at a TNA PPV and change the outcome of a championship match.

Edited by The Hero of the Day