The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Its a joke lol. Everybody kept shoutin that in his office cos he wasn't there. Was away daein a shite or somethin.

Big talking points from tonight are that Jeff Hardy will face Edge for the WHC at Judgement Day and that it looks like we are witnessing a John Morrison face turn and possible programme with Chris Jericho.

Its a joke lol. Everybody kept shoutin that in his office cos he wasn't there. Was away daein a shite or somethin.

Big talking points from tonight are that Jeff Hardy will face Edge for the WHC at Judgement Day and that it looks like we are witnessing a John Morrison face turn and possible programme with Chris Jericho.

Aw right, haven't got round to watching Smackdown yet. A Morrison/Jericho feud could be a good 'un I reckon.

You'll notice I'm watching a lot of Rey Rey at the moment. It's because of the stuff a guy is uploading to Dailymotion. Must be a Rey Rey fan.

Chavo Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio - WWE Summerslam 2006

It was as if the WWE management realised that Chavo and Rey were having a really good match, and they had to stop that happening by any means necessary. Just as the match was slipping into "awesome" mode, out comes Vickie and this went downhill fast. Chavo seemed to have some physical limitations going on here, but Rey seemed to be determined to give Chavo a great match here, much like Chavo did the other way around back in 2001 in WCW. Good match, but could have been better. **3/4

Los Guerreros vs. Edge and Rey Mysterio - WWE Smackdown 15/08/2002

Smackdown Six action ! These tag teams were just having great match after great match, along with Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit. The Rock, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar were all on Smackdown at this time as well. How awesome was Smackdown around this time ? They managed to make this match feel longer in a GOOD way, as all four guys fit in about 15 minutes of action into under 10 minutes, creating a brilliant tag team match as a result. ***1/4

Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio - WWE Smackdown 12/09/2002

YEEHAR !!! This is what I'm talking about ! This was so good it made it onto the Rey Rey DVD that came out. This was a rematch from Summerslam, and they actually played on quite a few of the spots from that match, which made this match a nice wee pleasure. The ending of the match was absolutely brilliant. For a match on free TV, you're not going to get much better. ***3/4

Psychosis vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. - WCW Nitro 06/01/1997

Psychosis is a strange one. When he first went into WCW he had a glorious match with Rey at Bash at the Beach 1996, and this gave WCW the impression that he was good. They tried to replicate the match and couldn't. Psychosis didn't really do much in the cruiser division as a result. This match almost acts as proof as to how crap Psychosis is, as he botches almost every big move that he's asked to do. Rey isn't good enough to carry him to something passable when he's on this form. *

Tajiri vs. Rey Mysterio - WWE Smackdown 04/09/2003

I'm loving this guy's Dailymotion account. If there's one thing Tajiri is, it's reliable and this was a really good cruiser match with all sorts of cool stuff going on. Tajiri's kicks are always good to watch as he seems to always bring them out at exactly the right time. ***1/2

Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio - WWE Smackdown 23/01/2003

This wasn't your usual Kurt/Rey match as both men were portrayed as equals and the size advantage wasn't played on as much as usual. Probably because Angle didn't want to be cocky as he needed to make an example of Rey for Team Angle. Anyways this match was filled with absolutely boatloads of effort from both men, with Rey even pulling out a couple of spots that he used to do all of the time on WCW shows. Good match here. ***

I think that's on this guy's list. It's on Dailymotion for definate, so even if it's not on this list I'll get to it eventually. Smackdown in from the summer onwards in 2002 was really good. Brock Lesnar and The Undertaker had a really underrated fued. The Big Show was FINALLY pushed as a monster and of course, the Smackdown Six.

All of the TV and UK matches between the Six were gold. Sometimes the PPV matches would disappoint. The Survivor Series match in particular was not their best, even if it was still great.

Oh, did anyone see Batista walking out with Pacman last night ?

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio - WWE Smackdown 23/05/2005

A well plotted match from these two guys to start with. And then Eddie snaps and the match takes a step up a notch. This quickly turned into the Eddie show as he made the match worth watching by putting his new ruthless character over. The match was amazing stuff when Rey came back into things. One of the best matches these two guys against each other during their time in the WWE. ****

Lex Luger vs. Tatanka - WWE RAW 1995

No idea on a date for this one. I only got the year because Laurence Taylor is on this show. Million Dollar Man had quite the faction around Wrestlemania 13 time, although none of them are at ringside for this. RAW giving matches 20 minutes had it's good points, but it also led to matches like this, which had no business going on as long as it did, and they decide to do all of the stalling tactics they can. If you can't wrestle for the time alloted, you shouldn't be wrestling for that amount of time. **

Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero - WCW Nitro 28/10/1996

I'm gonna try and watch some more WCW stuff as I'm gonna try and find the best match to happen in the promotion. Wondering whether to count old NWA shows as well towards it. Both guys were carrying injuries into this match. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Both guys sold the injuries and the match was a slow plodding affair which leads me to believe that maybe the injuries were real. **

Shawn Michaels vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan - WWE RAW 1993

Duggan was still incredibly popular around this time. The fans were going absolutely mental for him. Once again, I can't be sure about a date, but I was able to find out what the year was. The match wasn't very good because Duggan was way past it, and he has all sorts of weird little habits which aren't good enough. HBK was nowhere near his best and he relied too much on Chinlockery. Poor. *

Steven Regal vs. Johnny B Badd - WCW Clash of the Champions November 1993

Some fans just don't know how good they're getting it. Regal and Mero were doing all sorts of cool Headlock orientated stuff, but since they weren't out there killing themselves, the fans chanted "Boring !". Ugh. The match was decent, but the second half of the match felt tacked on. It's always fun watching Regal beat the crap out of someone though. **1/2

"Stunning" Steve Austin vs. Flyin' Bryan Pillman - WCW Clash of the Champions November 1993

Really good match from the former tag team partners. Good back and forth action. You got a sense of real dislike from this match. Steve Austin was brilliant here when he was using every cheap tactic that he could possibly think of. Pillman was just a big ball of fire. ***1/2

The Nasty Boys vs. Sting and Davey Boy Smith - WCW Clash of the Champions November 1993

That babyface team is pretty odd looking, although I think Sting was going through a few partners against the Nasties around this time. It was too obvious from the minute Rude turned up how this was going to end, which meant that this was never going to get the excitement going. **

Big Van Vader vs. Ric Flair - WCW Clash of the Champions November 1993

It is now time for the main event of the evening ! I skipped some crap from the show and decided to go right for the good stuff. This match setup what would become one of the most famous matches in WCW history. I don't think I've ever seen such fire from Flair, as he was going mental whenever he was in control. Vader was his usual awesome brutal self. You also get to see two top rope moves from Flair which is something you don't see every day. Great match. Not as good as their later match, but that says more about that match than it does about this one. ****

Lex Luger vs. Tatanka - WWE RAW 1995

No idea on a date for this one. I only got the year because Laurence Taylor is on this show. Million Dollar Man had quite the faction around Wrestlemania 13 time, although none of them are at ringside for this. RAW giving matches 20 minutes had it's good points, but it also led to matches like this, which had no business going on as long as it did, and they decide to do all of the stalling tactics they can. If you can't wrestle for the time alloted, you shouldn't be wrestling for that amount of time. **

Great stuff, always look forward to your reviews... but it's no wonder they weren't there for that match as Wrestlemania 13 wasn't til 1997. ;):P

WWE In Your House : Good Friends Better Enemies April 1996

I may have already covered this, but it's here to be watched, and I want to add some of the ratings to my lists.

The 1-2-3 Kid vs. "Wildman" Marc Mero

If we have the awesome Waltman turning up to this match, this is going to be terrific. This is the only match that I've not seen from this show. It turns out that it didn't matter what Waltman turned up for this match as they didn't get the chance to provide anything special anyways. All this match was here to do was to set up a fued down the line between Mero and HHH. I guess that's acceptable since this was the Free For All match. *1/2

Owen Hart and The British Bulldog vs. Jake Roberts and Ahmed Johnson

Ahmed Johnson is always so much fun to watch when he's powering people about. He looks like such a badass when he does it. That's a place where Mark Henry is finally beginning to get it right as well. This is perfectly acceptable tag team wrestling, although three of the four guys have an incredible amount of experience so there was no excuse to not provide at least a passable match. **1/2

Goldust © vs. The Ultimate Warrior - WWE Intercontinental Championship

Vince : "Are you ready to get bizarre !"

Pipe down Vinny. Warrior got a MAMMOTH pop when he headed for the ring in this one. This is all just shenanigans smoke and mirrors with no wrestling match to speak of. It's still a fun wee segment to watch though, and it's more of a battle of the minds than anything else. I can't rate this since there isn't a wrestling match.

Vader vs. Razor Ramon

This would be the end of Razor Ramon in WWE. Amazing show of respect to the promotion from Ramon, as he worked his arse off to put on a show on his last PPV and Vader was definately game for the challenge. Vince McMahon makes a wee sly reference to the amount of effort made in the match. This was a really good two sided effort with both guys just going out and stiffing the hell out of each other. ***1/4

The Bodydonnas © vs. The Godwinns - WWE World Tag Team Championships

This match was an absolute mess with a crappy ending. The one saving grace about the match was the really cool stuff that Phineas was coming out with in the middle of the match as he mocked his opponents. On the whole, this was a right crappy match. 1/2*

Shawn Michaels © vs. Diesel, No Holds Barred Match - WWE World Heavyweight Championship

This also marks the end of the WWE PPV career of Diesel. Diesel, not being one to leave quietly, throws his jacket right at Vince, who is none too amused. Diesel, much like Razor earlier on, put on the performance of a lifetime. So much so that it wasn't HBK that needed to carry Diesel to a legendary match. It was Diesel that carried this thing in a big way. Everything about this match which made is special was pretty much done by Diesel. Another great match from HBK from 1996. ****3/4

OVERALL

Thumbs in the middle for this show. The main event is definately must see and there's another good match to be had. You do have to sit through some right tedious pish though but it's worth it to see this main event.

DH Smith to ECW
Paves the way for the New Hart Foundation if nothing else.
Yasss...TJ and Harry back together again. This draft pick makes me a happy man :D
Natalya to ECW I wish P&B had a yawn emoticon.
Blasphemy! Hart foundation v2 has arrived and ECW has just kicked on again after losing Miz and Morisson!

After ECW this week business has picked up again. SD and ECW are fast becoming must see tv again. Shame that RAW has been shit lately.