The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

They’re very clear to point out HHH is staying in his role as head of content, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s purely for optics at this point. Once the reports start coming in of him being at TV again (which probably isn’t far away) we’ll know the jig is really up.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

They’re very clear to point out HHH is staying in his role as head of content, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s purely for optics at this point. Once the reports start coming in of him being at TV again (which probably isn’t far away) we’ll know the jig is really up.

They said last week that there would be no changes to the management structure/day to day. 

The DSOTR episode of this in a few years is going to be fantastic. 

3 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Looks like they've been bought by Saudi Arabia based on the latest dirt sheet frenzy.

Purely so Vince can take the company private again and he can be the dear leader again.

It's utterly mental. What an evil genius Vince is. All for the sake of a couple of extra years at the throne. What a bloodbath.

Vince Mcmahon Dancing GIF by WWE

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Quite literally fucked his entire family over and sold to the Saudis to retain power for a few years. Utter madman.

Maybe I'll look back on this in a couple of years and be like 🙈 but this feels like a death knell for WWE.

Like the World Cup before it, there'll be a lot of talk about how horrible it is but WWE will have a bigger budget than ever and it'll just be business as usual long term IMO.

All that counts is money.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Poor Sami Zayn.

This was also literally my first thought. The guy is on the run if his life and he's just been monumentally shafted. 

Although on the flip side, there's definitely a point and laugh at Regal, Miro, Andrade etc

Mental scenes 

Those Saudi rumours seem to be jumping the gun more than a little bit.  I don't think sales can happen that quickly no matter what skullduggery is undertaken.  That's not to say it isn't going to happen, but it wouldn't be the first time the dirtsheets went in two footed several hours too late (or early in this case).

The Stephanie news is mental though.  Wonder if it's jumping or being pushed.  Hard to see HHH staying around in that case, particularly if he's going to get power stripped from him. What a mental time for WWE.

6 minutes ago, forameus said:

Those Saudi rumours seem to be jumping the gun more than a little bit.  I don't think sales can happen that quickly no matter what skullduggery is undertaken.  That's not to say it isn't going to happen, but it wouldn't be the first time the dirtsheets went in two footed several hours too late (or early in this case).

I'm sure there's plenty of twists and turns to go. Fusient Media have been successfully running WCW for the last 20+ years after all.

It was only on Friday the news that they hired that bank to facilitate a deal. Even if Vince had the Saudis lined up there's probably some hoops to be jumped through that could derail the deal.

Wouldn't shock me if this is being floated publicly to bump up the price (talk of 8+ billion) and test the public/corporate partners reaction.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm sure there's plenty of twists and turns to go. Fusient Media have been successfully running WCW for the last 20+ years after all.

It was only on Friday the news that they hired that bank to facilitate a deal. Even if Vince had the Saudis lined up there's probably some hoops to be jumped through that could derail the deal.

Wouldn't shock me if this is being floated publicly to bump up the price (talk of 8+ billion) and test the public/corporate partners reaction.

Yeah, that's the bit that's getting me.  With a broker announced, I'd be amazed if they had properly secured a buyer with a deal signed enough to talk about in less than a week.  By all accounts the process was likely to drag on into months, let alone weeks.  Of course, SA could be offering an eye-watering amount of money that makes the bidding process irrelevant, but I've no idea if that's even allowed with a publicly traded company.  Can you just f**k that status off and go private whenever you want?  Do you just pay off the shareholders?  f**k knows.  And that's the second "doubt" part, because as soon as the dirtsheets have to talk about something that isn't rooted firmly in wrestling, and move into legal territory, they almost uniformly make a complete arse of themselves.  If they've done that here and it doesn't end up happening...well, nothing will happen, because people keep reading into them weirdly.

But if this is to happen, it's interesting to wonder what happens to WWE long term.  I expect they'll still be largely hands-off like they are with the likes of Newcastle.  They'll front the money, they'll reap the suds of the sportswashing, but I don't think they'll suddenly jump in and make all women wear T-shirts again.  We'll get a few more events over there.  We'll almost certainly get a Wrestlemania there.  But day-to-day, I don't think a Saudi owned WWE really makes much difference to the product.  The danger there is obviously Vince.  If he punts HHH (or more likely he walks with Steph) then the only hope is that he tries to follow through on what was already in place.  But if he's willing to burn all the bridges just to get back into power...yeah, that ain't happening.  What a mess.

Cena and Owens have boycotted the Saudi shows, so it might be difficult for a Saudi owned company to convince them to sign new deals when their contracts are up. That's assuming Cena is even under contract these days.

I can't imagine that US TV networks would be particularly happy negotiating with the Saudis either. WWE being shunned like LIV Golf would be a huge blow to them.

35 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Cena and Owens have boycotted the Saudi shows, so it might be difficult for a Saudi owned company to convince them to sign new deals when their contracts are up. That's assuming Cena is even under contract these days.

I can't imagine that US TV networks would be particularly happy negotiating with the Saudis either. WWE being shunned like LIV Golf would be a huge blow to them.

I thought this as well. Pissing off broadcasters and some of your biggest stars ahead of their biggest TV rights negotiation yet. 

The wheel will keep on turning, they’ll be fine, but there’s going to be more casualties along the way.