The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

23 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Those pops for Austin and Foley are incredible.

It's astounding that Bischoff knew this had happened and still booked the finger poke of doom to go against it.

He actually got the commentators to announce it, and half their audience turned over to see it

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

He actually got the commentators to announce it, and half their audience turned over to see it

I loved being the perfect age (13-17) for the attitude era. It was honestly unmissable telly and having Austin and Rock on telly back then every week along with the associated supporting cast of wrestlers and characters, you always knew something really special was going to happen.

Taping Raw every Friday night on Sky Sports 1 as we still only got it on tape delay back then and not live, was the culmination of the week. It was the only time in history that just about everyone in school was a fan of Wrestling as most folk had loved it as kids in the late Hogan/early new generation era and fell away for a few years only to come back around the time of DX.

On 29/12/2022 at 16:47, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Those pops for Austin and Foley are incredible.

It's astounding that Bischoff knew this had happened and still booked the finger poke of doom to go against it.

The whole McMahon/Austin feud was phenomenal.  Vince's performances were out of this world.

This gets me emotional, especially the hulking up part.

34 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm gutted to hear about this. I watched pretty much every Impact and TNA PPV between 2006 and 2010. Don West and Mike Tenay made everything seem incredible during those years. RIP big man.

Any excuse to post this clip. One of the all time great wrestling debuts.

11 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm gutted to hear about this. I watched pretty much every Impact and TNA PPV between 2006 and 2010. Don West and Mike Tenay made everything seem incredible during those years. RIP big man.

Any excuse to post this clip. One of the all time great wrestling debuts.

I remember watching this at the time and when he stuck the head on him letting out a very loud audible "ohyafuckerye" 🤣

18 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I loved being the perfect age (13-17) for the attitude era. It was honestly unmissable telly and having Austin and Rock on telly back then every week along with the associated supporting cast of wrestlers and characters, you always knew something really special was going to happen.

Taping Raw every Friday night on Sky Sports 1 as we still only got it on tape delay back then and not live, was the culmination of the week. It was the only time in history that just about everyone in school was a fan of Wrestling as most folk had loved it as kids in the late Hogan/early new generation era and fell away for a few years only to come back around the time of DX.

Started watching in 99 when i was 6, being 8 for WM 17 was amazing, the general awe during the TLC match or the WTF feeling when VKM helped Austin win, great times. 

loved watching Raw on sky sports 9:30pm on a Friday night and smackdown on a Saturday morning on sky one 10am, hated when they didn’t show chair shots and bleeped swearing.

Been watching Raw is War on the Network shortly after Royal Rumble 2000 which is the first PPV I truly remember what with it being on council TV and Mae Young's puppies.

Pretty much every single match is a shite finish with a run in or a disqualification but it made me realise more than ever, that as long as it's not a gymnastics competition, I'm not really there for the wrestling, I'm watching for some of the incredibly fun stories.

Cactus Jack getting turned on by the Radicalz, HHH leading the company into disarray through his corruption, Big Show needing to find proof of The Rock not winning the Rumble as his feet touched first, X-Pac destroying his friendship with Kane and pumping his missus Tori, the Holly's constant in-fighting, the APA being set-up, Bubbah Ray Dudley getting sexual gratification out of putting people through tables and even the Mae Young being pregnant storyline. Then there's the who hit Austin storyline hanging over the whole show.  Jim Ross' selling is incredible.

Now, don't get me wrong, some of these storylines are better than others and some have aged absolutely horrifically but there was very rarely just a match for having a match sake. The crowd were incredible week to week.

Massive difference between today's product which arguably has much better wrestlers. We just need hyped crowds and all the characters having interesting stories... that's lacking today IMO.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Been watching Raw is War on the Network shortly after Royal Rumble 2000 which is the first PPV I truly remember what with it being on council TV and Mae Young's puppies.

Pretty much every single match is a shite finish with a run in or a disqualification but it made me realise more than ever, that as long as it's not a gymnastics competition, I'm not really there for the wrestling, I'm watching for some of the incredibly fun stories.

Cactus Jack getting turned on by the Radicalz, HHH leading the company into disarray through his corruption, Big Show needing to find proof of The Rock not winning the Rumble as his feet touched first, X-Pac destroying his friendship with Kane and pumping his missus Tori, the Holly's constant in-fighting, the APA being set-up, Bubbah Ray Dudley getting sexual gratification out of putting people through tables and even the Mae Young being pregnant storyline. Then there's the who hit Austin storyline hanging over the whole show.  Jim Ross' selling is incredible.

Now, don't get me wrong, some of these storylines are better than others and some have aged absolutely horrifically but there was very rarely just a match for having a match sake. The crowd were incredible week to week.

Massive difference between today's product which arguably has much better wrestlers. We just need hyped crowds and all the characters having interesting stories... that's lacking today IMO.

Alternatively, the wrestlers of today aren't as over. All those storylines you mention wouldn't mean as much if the folk weren't so popular.

There's plenty of storylines today in wrestling, but so many are throwaway because the wrestlers aren't as over and also, although related, those in charge don't push the storylines and characters as much, especially in WWE where they are more storyline driven in terms of matches (too often AEW chucks folk together for a match just for them to have a match or only to advance the story of one of them).

There's still plenty of good stories today though. The Hangman Page arc is an all time great and, for me, easily the best in all of wrestling for a good while (maybe since Daniel Bryan?). Reigns being the top guy has been great but the Sami Zayn arc has been brilliant and still has some to go, although I'm worried they'll rush it to an unsatisfying end in favour of a Rock return. Drew McIntyre's rise was good stuff too. MJF's rise has been great (would have been ever better if he was able to finish the storyline with Punk) and the rise of guys like Lynch, Moxley, Gunther etc have been good, and now we have the likes of Starks looking like he'll be a big star.

Edited by DA Baracus

He deserved wan if he was actually pumpin Kelly Kelly during that point. He had a tore groin and wis off his face for the entirety of the time from her debuting and him getting sacked. 

Also, does anyone remember that place where you could get bootleg DVDs? Or know anywhere that still does them? I would like some AEW PPVs on disc but not paying 30-35 quid retails which they are atm.

In other Wrestling Twitter news, CM Punk decided that the best way to act having probably assaulted several co-workers, would be to put up a chart showing that his return video has more YouTube views than anything else.  Guy comes across as such an insecure tool at times.

Also, looks like Sasha Banks is away.  She'll be at Wrestle Kingdom in the coming days, then heavily rumoured to join AEW after.  Interesting decision given the relative state of the women's division there, but she definitely didn't seem happy in the latter time with WWE, and I guess it does give her a lot more chance to go and do other things.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

Also, looks like Sasha Banks is away.  She'll be at Wrestle Kingdom in the coming days, then heavily rumoured to join AEW after.  Interesting decision given the relative state of the women's division there, but she definitely didn't seem happy in the latter time with WWE, and I guess it does give her a lot more chance to go and do other things.

Debuted around the time you would have been posting. Now Mercedes Moné and did the typical post-match challenger debut following the IWGP Women's Title. She'll be having her first match in February at a show in San Jose against Kairi Sane . 

Looked good on the way in. The attack and promo that followed not so much. As it was a bit sloppy.

Just saw the clip too, bit of an anti-climax to go in to what sounded like not much pop at all (although that's more cultural than anything related to her) and then managed to botch the one move (although again, seems to be down to Kairi rather than her).  

9 minutes ago, forameus said:

Just saw the clip too, bit of an anti-climax to go in to what sounded like not much pop at all (although that's more cultural than anything related to her) and then managed to botch the one move (although again, seems to be down to Kairi rather than her).  

There's that, but i'm also not convinced there's the same crossover between NJPW and Stardom as people would imagine. If it had been a big Stardom show there would be the greater buy in I would imagine.

Of course they don't have the money for it, which is why Bushiroad is stumping up the cash for NJPW as that's the greater investment for them and it'll get NJPW World and it's international shows the rub.

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Bowen's tweet after JJ threw out that Caster was going to get some "receipts". Jarrett was always king of the carnies. This has been a fun wee sideshow.

Screenshot_20230104-122234.png

I thought it was quite smart of JJ to put the focus on the tag match. To deflect from a rather personal situation.

It died down the talk about Karen's tweets.

image.png.43922cf9c5d7d4a5db2fbe0f40064345.png

image.png.e7e4b0cd0a4e7c921446a3847e298525.png