The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

In all seriousness, I'm fairly sure it is a whoosh, but sadly there probably are people out there who'll see that big DX himself HHH is back and think that this is totally a direction they could - and should - go in.  

Tend to agree with one of the boys on the Lapsed Fan podcast who argues that Flair has basically embarrassed himself and tainted his legacy every single time he's been on camera/made a public appearance post 2008ish. Some of the clips from last night look brutal. 

5 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Tend to agree with one of the boys on the Lapsed Fan podcast who argues that Flair has basically embarrassed himself and tainted his legacy every single time he's been on camera/made a public appearance post 2008ish. Some of the clips from last night look brutal. 

The first review I saw was whatculture. I know there is quite often a lot of pish on there, but without even seeing the match, I was pretty sure they got some of their stuff spot on

The match was about what you'd expect from a 73-year-old who almost died from kidney failure in 2017, then had a pacemaker fitted after undergoing four heart surgeries over a two-month period in 2018. Ric's limitations were apparent even during his ring entrance. As he limped onto the stage in his iconic white robe, any lingering doubt that this was to be an awkward, uncomfortable viewing experience was eradicated.

Not that this erases the match's ugliness. As hard as Jarrett, Lethal, and Andrade worked, this was a long, laborious professional wrestling match that inspired legitimate concern for its 73-year-old victor's physical condition. Flair was shaking as Andrade put the brass knuckles in his hand. Watching on a screen, there was no special atmosphere, no spectacle, and no theatre: only discomfort.

And not of the worked variety. The greatest American wrestler of all time leveraging real-life concerns into pro wrestling drama as he may have done even 13 years ago this was not.

May Ric Flair never do this again.

https://whatculture.com/wwe/ric-flairs-last-wrestling-match-was-extremely-uncomfortable

Jarrett was absolutely brilliant. Only watched clips but he's in phenomenal shape and can easily still go at 55, but aye, it was pretty brutal in the few clips I watched.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jarrett was absolutely brilliant. Only watched clips but he's in phenomenal shape and can easily still go at 55, but aye, it was pretty brutal in the few clips I watched.

I just skipped through it on Youtube and 2 things immediately came across:

1. Jeff Jarrett is in INCREDIBLE shape for 55 and moves around like he's still 35. Absolutely amazing athlete and a great heel that is probably being more appreciated through time, especially with his Podcast highlighting some of those moments. 
  2. Mick Foley must have sat the whole time with a huge smile on his face just enjoying the occasion. A lot of people rightly or wrongly critique matches like they're some kind of journalist the whole time and forget to actually try and enjoy what's in front of them. Foley's smile brings back what it should be about- enjoying wrestling. Maybe he was still picturing Scarlett Bordeaux. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

I just skipped through it on Youtube and 2 things immediately came across:

1. Jeff Jarrett is in INCREDIBLE shape for 55 and moves around like he's still 35. Absolutely amazing athlete and a great heel that is probably being more appreciated through time, especially with his Podcast highlighting some of those moments. 
  2. Mick Foley must have sat the whole time with a huge smile on his face just enjoying the occasion. A lot of people rightly or wrongly critique matches like they're some kind of journalist the whole time and forget to actually try and enjoy what's in front of them. Foley's smile brings back what it should be about- enjoying wrestling. Maybe he was still picturing Scarlett Bordeaux. 

1. He's always been a great 'territorial' heel. They guy that the latest up and comer babyface beats on the way to bigger and better things. Which is why he was a great fit in the midcard of WCW and WWF in the 90s, but struggled once put into the top spot of WCW/TNA.

2. I'm not sure I can take watching the whole thing. The one clip i've seen doing the rounds was this one below where Ric Flair fakes a heart attack. Didn't quite pick up on that the first viewing, as my focus was on Karen showing her arse. I think Mick was likely the same and jealous it wasn't done to his section.

Random angle that sticks out with Double J is the Lionheart one from 2011. Made a guy that was a relative uninown to much of that audience feel like a massive deal - JJ was superb in the build up and working the crowd in the actual match. 

I don’t think I’ll ever fully forgive him for ruining Monty Brown though.