The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

12 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

What a company.  I'm not sure it is the smartest idea to name an Austrian guy after a prominent Nazi and then have his ruthless henchmen dress all in black.

When I saw the trademark going through, I think like a lot of people made the joke it would be WALTER's main roster name :)

WWE just have this desperate need to own everything.

Ultimately he chose to sign the deal, and this was always a possibility, but it’s wild they’ll fire anyone they like, but not let go someone that actually wants to leave (Even though they did with Toni Storm like two weeks ago) An odd bunch 

With WWE going to be doing something that just a few weeks ago was unthinkable and allowing a contracted Impact Champion on their show, with her championship and then last night, referencing the former Dean Ambrose on three separate occasions and referring to him as 'Mox' into the bargain (again, unthinkable) there's a few excited rumours that when folk talk about 'forbidden doors', the biggest one of all might be starting to crack.

I could understand if Rollins slipped it into his promo on the fly and got a bollocking for it but Macafee mentioning him as Mox twice on commentary when you know Vince would have had his gonads for it if he didn't want it said, is what is raising eyebrows.

As long as it was done sparingly and correctly, I'd love to see AEW folk show up in WWE and vice versa for one offs or short programmes. I just can't see Vince's ego going for it though. I'd say he's probably ploughing a lone furrow on this front now but ultimately it's still his call.

In a sensible world, you'd think that both companies could be adult enough to let talent flow in both directions where both sides can get something out of it.  Hypothetically (and I'm stressing that, there's surely no fucking way anything like this happens), Moxley appearing in the Rumble lets WWE pop a rating, but long term he'll be on AEW's show.  I don't think there's necessarily a loser in either situation.  You get all the neckbeards going over TV ratings and the like, but do they really matter to WWE?  Do they even matter to AEW these days?  WWE's product is fucking shite at times and makes money, and AEW could shite in a box and a lot of people would praise the work rate of said shite.  Realistically though, I could maybe see AEW being alright with it happening, but WWE will still be stuck in the past with their memories of the Monday Night War.  The enemy is the enemy, and I doubt they'd be that interested in getting a loan of talent.

But it's a fun thing to imagine.  Would certainly shake up WM season.

17 hours ago, forameus said:

In a sensible world, you'd think that both companies could be adult enough to let talent flow in both directions where both sides can get something out of it.  Hypothetically (and I'm stressing that, there's surely no fucking way anything like this happens), Moxley appearing in the Rumble lets WWE pop a rating, but long term he'll be on AEW's show.  I don't think there's necessarily a loser in either situation.  You get all the neckbeards going over TV ratings and the like, but do they really matter to WWE?  Do they even matter to AEW these days?  WWE's product is fucking shite at times and makes money, and AEW could shite in a box and a lot of people would praise the work rate of said shite.  Realistically though, I could maybe see AEW being alright with it happening, but WWE will still be stuck in the past with their memories of the Monday Night War.  The enemy is the enemy, and I doubt they'd be that interested in getting a loan of talent.

But it's a fun thing to imagine.  Would certainly shake up WM season.

Whilst I agree, there's no way WWE would put over another company's talent. You'd have someone like Moxley getting buried to show WWE as the superior product 

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Whilst I agree, there's no way WWE would put over another company's talent. You'd have someone like Moxley getting buried to show WWE as the superior product 

Yeah, that's the sticking point.  A WWE helmed by Vince McMahon would maybe let other company's talent in, but I doubt they'd be given anything interesting other than getting largely buried by the "better" product.  Like, what's in store for Mickie James on Saturday? I doubt she's going to WM.

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Remember when Vince lent Taz back to ECW to take the title off Mike Awesome, then had Triple H get the shovel out on Smackdown?

Enjoyed GCW for what it was. Shame they never thought to actually mic the crowd, but the actual show had a decent mix of good wrestling, plunder and bullshit like Cardona/Janela. 

Nothing amazing though. They’re in this very weird spot of already alienating their core fans by doing less hardcore stuff, but needing to grow and appeal to a wider audience. ECW problem on a smaller scale.