The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Just got through watching Summerslam.  It was....meh. Generally at least.  Was interesting to see how they responded to what happened elsewhere in wrestling over the weekend, but in-ring wise, there was nothing that really stood out.

Then Becky came back, and an even bigger pop than I imagined.  Brilliant.  Great stuff.  But...aw for fu...terrible decision with squashing Belair.  I'll reserve full judgement until you see just what it means going forward, but on the face of it it looks like a dreadful decision.  Even more with having Belair basically shake her fist at her ruefully and grin.  

Edge/Rollins was good but not great.  Roman Cena was a bit flat.  Could tell the story they're trying to tell, but when it's so beaten over your head it becomes less effective.  Roman's doing his best to turn the crowd against him and keep the heat, but all the match really was was 20 minutes of him slowly following Cena around the ring, punctuated by roll-up attempts, then a flat ending.  Meh.

But then...Brock the Fucking Redeemer.  Jesus Christ on a John Deere tractor, here comes a gorilla in Dean Ambrose cosplay.  I don't know what he's been doing since he went away, but it's working.  When you compare early Lesnar to the one of the past few years, he might still be in shape, but he definitely looks noticably "doughier".  Now he looks terrifying.  I'm actually kind of a fan of him not attacking either, makes it all the more sinister.  Special marks for Paul Heyman not really reacting until Lesnar turned the corner, then shitting himself.

Only question is how they book from here.  They can't just go on another Brock wins lol binge like with Kofi.  I'd have Reigns go over, then let Lesnar actually do something story-based that isn't just "throw man for 5 minutes, retain".  

EDIT: Just read that apparently once they were off air, Lesnar obliterated Cena.  Pleasing.

Edited by forameus

27 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

WALTER vs Dragunov 2 was fantastic. Both of them are far too good to be hanging around with the minimum wage nonces at NXT UK.

Just phenomenal. If you watch anything from the show, make sure it’s this! 

If that's the last time we see an NXT show like that, then that's a damn good way to go out.  Think it slightly lost steam towards the end, but another show of just putting on a small amount of matches that have been built well.  

Starting to really like Cameron Grimes after not liking him at first.  Especially when he broke a wee bit out of his yee-haw character after his win.  Very talented and hopefully gets pushed as something a bit more than a comedy character.

Dakota Kai is just lovely, put on a great match with Gonzalez.  Right result, and now just can't wait to hear Raquel's lovely Spanish tinge going up against "HEREYOUYAFUCKINGCOWAHLLCHIBYOU" from Kay Lee Ray.

WALTER/Dragunov.  Just...wow.  Wrestling isn't real, and it's often at its best when it pushes as close to the line without going over it.  Those two saw the line, told it to get to f**k, and went beyond.  You'd probably say they went a wee bit too far and shouldn't have to do so much damage to each other for entertainment, but by f**k is it thrilling.  The ending was a little odd (a theme they stuck with for the rest of the show) but absolutely the right decision. Lovely moment seeing him completely perplexed and blowing out his arse, the ref telling him "he tapped", then bursting into tears.  Echo the above, those two are far too good for the shallow UK pool.

Then I think the show lost its way a wee bit.  The 2-out-of-3 falls match was great, and an interesting swerve to have the first out of the way early, but think the finish felt a bit hollow.  It didn't feel like the big culmination of a blood feud, or this kind of match.  It's different certainly, but felt they missed a bit.

Main event was just good, that's all.  I'm not sure what Kross has done to piss people off, but they've now taken the lovely Scarlet off him on NXT too, and he didn't seem to be the unstoppable monster he has been since he started.  Joe was obviously rusty, put on a good show, but again, the finish seemed to be rushed to.

I think generally, although it was a great show, we're starting to see them reign in NXT.  A few months ago, Cole and O'Reilly had a match that was what, near an hour?  Full of the usual stupid kick-outs, but feeling suitably epic.  The whole show felt like they wanted to get through it at a good clip, and think it clocked in at around 2.5 hours when they probably could have given a couple of matches a wee bit more.  Maybe it's just because I'm so used to them taking their time over matches and this is just new, but not sure it worked on at least 2 of the matches.

It's the seeming lack of pulling the moves in any way that I've got an uneasy respect for.  I'm far too much of a shitebag to be in any kind of situation like that, and I'd imagine it takes an incredible mental strength to stand in a wrestling ring and go through a match knowing that if there's one slip, you could get very seriously injured.  That match takes that a step further, as I'm not sure how tough (or deranged) you have to be to stand there knowing your opponent is about to chop the shit out of you to the point your chest looks like a pizza (or knee through your sternum, or just plain kick you in the head). 

I know what they were trying to do with NXT, but it’s absolute madness he was in NXT his entire time there. I honestly thought him or Gargano would be the next Daniel Bryan. Did amazing stuff for NXT, but to think he never a main roster star when some other jokers have been is mental. 

On 23/08/2021 at 12:05, forameus said:

WALTER/Dragunov.  Just...wow.  Wrestling isn't real, and it's often at its best when it pushes as close to the line without going over it.  Those two saw the line, told it to get to f**k, and went beyond.  You'd probably say they went a wee bit too far and shouldn't have to do so much damage to each other for entertainment, but by f**k is it thrilling.  The ending was a little odd (a theme they stuck with for the rest of the show) but absolutely the right decision. Lovely moment seeing him completely perplexed and blowing out his arse, the ref telling him "he tapped", then bursting into tears.  Echo the above, those two are far too good for the shallow UK pool.

WALTER is a one off. An absolute monster of a guy and someone who makes a made-up form of choreographed entertainment look totally legit.

What do you do with a guy as fucking amazing as him though? He definitely doesn't need any gimmick outwith 'I can wrestle and fight like f**k, don't come near me or I'll kill your face' but that unfortunately isn't enough to sell toys, merchandise or accessories now. 

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

WALTER is a one off. An absolute monster of a guy and someone who makes a made-up form of choreographed entertainment look totally legit.

What do you do with a guy as fucking amazing as him though? He definitely doesn't need any gimmick outwith 'I can wrestle and fight like f**k, don't come near me or I'll kill your face' but that unfortunately isn't enough to sell toys, merchandise or accessories now. 

Also, unless something has changed, he's never really had any interest in moving to the US, so he's a weird one in the WWE hierarchy.  He's obviously a massive get for them, as they know they can put him in against anyone and have a great match, but they're pretty limited in what they can do with him.  Expect he's on a pretty comfortable wage with NXT UK, likely able to dot about Europe at will, good for him.  

Cena is so fucking weird.  He undoubtedly does incredible work with Make a Wish, far more than he has any need really to do, and I can't imagine the pain he must go through knowing that so many of these people he's trying to help are ultimately on a short journey.  But everything else he just seems so robotic and...well, weird.

Still though, it's a lovely video. Not quite Konnor the Krusher levels of absolutely crushing despair, but at least this one had a happy ending.  I always think it must be brilliant to be in a position to have that power to make people feel better.  By just giving away a piece of your gear that you've probably got millions of, that small gesture can be so powerful to someone.  That must be great.

2 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Starting to get a wee bit concerned about NXT. 

Ah well. Safe to say the Golden Age of NXT is over and to be fair, it had a fucking fantastic run and consistently adapted to call ups and changes.

With the public admission that they only want big, tall, muscly, sweaty men and teach them to work, rather than the tried and tested current method of a mix of guys fitting that description and legit guys who are already trained and who can work like f**k, we're now solely in the cartoon character era.

Every guy coming in will be 6ft4, green as f**k, built like John Heidenreich, Sylvian Grenier and Lance Cade and be about as underwhleming as them to boot. On the bright side, unlike Keith Lee, Black  Ricochet, Bobby Roode etc., no-one will give a toss now when they get called to the main roster and wasted as they'll be pish anyway.

Need to believe this is the route HHH definitely didn't want to go down.