The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

Sting of course just had the surprise appearance. Wrestling media went wild and he sold a bunch of Tshirts. 

There wasn't a lot of mainstream hype though. Certainly nothing on the level we are currently seeing. This is bringing back folk who haven't watched anything wrestling related in years and years.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Sting of course just had the surprise appearance. Wrestling media went wild and he sold a bunch of Tshirts. 

Wrestling media have been talking about Punk going there for a month now though, it’s been endless. I think the people that would be drawn in have been - or are at very least tuning in because they’re still unsure. The rest will most certainly be watching Dynamite on Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

There wasn't a lot of mainstream hype though. Certainly nothing on the level we are currently seeing. This is bringing back folk who haven't watched anything wrestling related in years and years.

And I'm for all of it as outlined why above.

I'd rather have the Best in the World line. Kenny's cookie monster & chick magnet tees. All the little winks & nudges. 

Its better than the surprise appearance from my point of view. 

I’ve not been this hyped for a wrestling show in a long time.

Would have been nice if Punk appearing was kept as a surprise but totally get why it needed to be announced amidst a ratings battle to keep the network happy. I think AEW have tried to do a bit of both by announcing it but leaving that little bit of doubt.

If AEW get the booking right with Punk and Daniel Bryan they could be right up there with Raw in the ratings.

Exciting times indeed!

Seen a prediction / comment from one of the Cultaholic guys on a video of theirs that old Vince (and having released Ric Flair recently as well) will try to get some publicity back from a newly CM Punk debuted AEW by having Cena go over Reigns to win his 17th World title at Summerslam on Saturday night.

Wouldn't surprise me if they went with that TBH especially as Cena can then take the Universal Title on to mainstream talk shows etc while promoting his new/upcoming movies.

The rumoured plans are for Reigns to hold all way to WM to face Dwayne but hey ho Vince won't care about that if he can just shuffle the title back to Reigns at Survivor Series then continue as apparently planned.

I did say that TBF. The point I'm making is that Punk is one of maybe 5 or 6 folk currently kicking about who would generate enough interest to the point that if they were away for long enough, mainstream media, some non-wrestling fans and lapsed fans would want to see them, so the networks really have no choice but to demand eyes on it.
BTW, the only others IMO are Rock, Cena, Austin, Lesnar and Undertaker. Even Hogan doesn't have that level of interest anymore. Back in the TNA days, definitely, but not now. You could of course argue for guys like Hart, HBK, Edge, Angle, Flair possibly even Sting but IMO they just don't have that mainstream appeal that would generate the buzz that any of those guys do.

In fairness Edge coming back at the Rumble was pure carnage

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Just went back to watch the 2020 Rumble after Rampage and realised the moment I finally lost all patience with the Fed was when they ripped the title off Kofi as rapidly as they could to get it back on Lesnar.

For a Saudi match with Cain as well. They arrived at Kofi by accident as well, just like Bryan, and Punk. 

7 hours ago, cdhafc1874 said:

Seen a prediction / comment from one of the Cultaholic guys on a video of theirs that old Vince (and having released Ric Flair recently as well) will try to get some publicity back from a newly CM Punk debuted AEW by having Cena go over Reigns to win his 17th World title at Summerslam on Saturday night.

Wouldn't surprise me if they went with that TBH especially as Cena can then take the Universal Title on to mainstream talk shows etc while promoting his new/upcoming movies.

The rumoured plans are for Reigns to hold all way to WM to face Dwayne but hey ho Vince won't care about that if he can just shuffle the title back to Reigns at Survivor Series then continue as apparently planned.

After Smackdown last night (apparently it wasn't just AEW on last night) that's looking very unlikely.  Reigns says he'll leave if he loses, which is about as close to saying "They've told me I'm winning, lads" as you can get.  I went all grumpy mark on the CM Punk stuff, but this is as bad.  Is it really that hard to build intrigue in a match and make people believe there's a chance either way? I expect we'll still get near falls to bite on, but f**k sake guys.

Megastar debuts on AEW.

WWE respond by announcing internet personality will appear on RAW.

Meanwhile, former WWE employee who originally got himself over through an internet show, only for them to bury him, is getting himself over as f**k in another promotion.

Wrestling.