The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

What a fucking difference having a crowd makes.

I think if that was a card put on in front of the Thunderdome, it would have been just alright, but absolutely every part of that show got elevated by the fans being in.  Natalya coming out?  f**k it, woooooooooooooo!  It was absolutely great to see absolutely every guy and girl coming out there and looking like they're absolutely fucking loving it.  Hard to argue with any of the results, and only a few wee niggles in a very good show.

Cross is a decent choice to win, even if I don't think they'll do much with her.  Finish was shite though, even if it was something new.  Leaving all of them up there looking like tools is something that would never have worked without fans happy for the winner.  Also interesting to hear the murmurs for Bliss' shenanigans.  I wondered how they'd react to that stuff, and it's clear now.  I feel for Bliss as she is throwing absolutely everything into making it work.  

I'd persuaded myself that big John wasn't going to make Summerslam for filming commitments, but having watched this morning, the time left showed that something was happening, especially with Edge and Rollins making an exit.  I thought it might be Brock, but what a fucking pop.  Couldn't even hear his usual chant over everyone losing their shit.  I'd liked to have seen a little less clowning for the crowd, but that's forgivable I suppose given the circumstances.

Just now, TheGoon said:

The reaction for Cena is one of the loudest in years, and rightly so. Interestingly, despite confronting Roman, he’s kicking off RAW tonight 

Wonder if they'll start blurring the lines a bit.  Wouldn't be a bad thing for Roman to turn up and kick f**k out of him as a response to shock the crowd.

Skipped through 80% of the card in my lunch hour. Just watched The Men’s MITB and Reigns v Edge there just now.

Thought the men’s MITB was really good. A lot of fun spot’s. Riddle jumping to a main event player after that performance anyway.

Reigns v Edge was good as well, it was obvious that Rollins was gonna set up the match for summerslam but that pop for Cena at the end was electric.

See when WWE don’t announce returns like Cena last night it makes it’s so much better. We knew he was coming back but that element of surprise brought out the kid in all of us. I hope they do the same with Becky.

20 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Delighted for Nikki Cross, the gimmick less so… 

20 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

I like Nikki cause she is Scottish but that character is beyond pish. First woman  to fail the cash in NAP 

The gimmick is not for me at all, and is surely ostensibly and objectively lame, but it's her idea by all accounts and they seem to be getting behind it (for now) so fair enough. I give WWE enough stick for not letting wrestlers truly create or evolve their own gimmicks/characters so if they're letting Nikki do this and she gets creative (and booking) fulfilment from it then fair play. Buzzing for her last night. She deserves it. 

I really can't stick main roster WWE these days. Even when I know it's objectively good I just don't take any enjoyment from it. But Roman v Cena on a Saturday night Summerslam should be a doozy. I hope they make a callback to this. 

Edited by airdrieman

Catching up on MITB now:
Opening match was bleh. I like Nikki a lot and apparently this gimmick is hers but it’s cringe

Can’t decide if Omos is good or not for his size

Not happy to see Kofi get squashed again but if it’s in service to Bobby finally getting his due then fair enough he deserves it

Charlotte and Rhea put on a clinic. That bridge on the figure 8 is unreal. The criticisms of Charlotte are so lazy as she’s obvs had a door opened with her name but she’s brilliant and more than earned her spot compared to half the geeks people insist should be in her spot.

Is Riddle Eugene with a head injury?

Men’s MITB has to be considered one of the best in years. Everyone brought their best, some of Ricochet’s movements were insane while Kevin Owens killed himself on multiple occasions.

That pop for Cena is mental

Charlotte and Rhea put on a clinic. That bridge on the figure 8 is unreal. The criticisms of Charlotte are so lazy as she’s obvs had a door opened with her name but she’s brilliant and more than earned her spot compared to half the geeks people insist should be in her spot.

No doubt. She’s incredible in the ring. She’s gonna end up winning the women’s title more than 20 times.