The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

The Patriot, Del Wilkes, has passed away aged 59. I can’t truly say that I’m overly familiar with his career but he’ll always be a part of one my favourite storylines in the Hart Foundation v USA from 1997. RIP. 

6 hours ago, airdrieman said:

The Patriot, Del Wilkes, has passed away aged 59. I can’t truly say that I’m overly familiar with his career but he’ll always be a part of one my favourite storylines in the Hart Foundation v USA from 1997. RIP. 

Most famous for having his entrance music stolen by Kurt Angle

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

When will the next episode of Dark Side of the Ring be on and anyone know who it is? 

Last one I seen was Dynamite Kid but seems like 2 or 3 weeks since I watched it.

They are doing this season in 2 parts. All they have said about part 2 is "later in the summer"

Punk’s title win against Cena at MITB got to easily be top five best moments in the last decade of the Fed alongside Bryan at Mania 30 and Kofimania. All three ruined as well by later developments (albeit not really the company’s fault with Bryan). Love this company so much.

25 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Punk’s title win against Cena at MITB got to easily be top five best moments in the last decade of the Fed alongside Bryan at Mania 30 and Kofimania. All three ruined as well by later developments (albeit not really the company’s fault with Bryan). Love this company so much.

The summer of Punk in particular, at least until it was quickly ruined, and Daniel Bryan’s run in 2013/14 felt like the last time WWE was genuinely must watch. Sad thing is any great angles WWE get near now you have absolutely no faith that they’ll pay it off in entertaining or meaningful way. 

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Add Ziggler's cash in to that list.

I think early days of SmackDown Live were really good stuff, when AJ was on top. It was just a continently really enjoyable show. Even that’s 5 years or something ago now though?  

Bryan, Punk and Kofi were big because they were three extremely talented and likeable characters (Punk less so behind the scenes tbf) who you could see were being held back for whatever reason and were propelled partially because of overwhelming fan pressure. Vinny Mac has managed to create such a sense of stockholm syndrome in me that I’ll be far more interested in seeing guys finally getting their due much more than watching technically more competent execution of wresting or storytelling in either AEW or specific eras of Smackdown.

I watched sporadically as a kid around the attitude era but never that seriously.  Only really came back properly around the Extreme Rules prior to WM29 (remember I missed all the Rock/Cena stuff, and think his match was Brock was the first "big" one I remember).  So I had the perfect run to WM30.  Sad that it's likely never been as good as it was around that point since.

2011 - DUI.

2013 - Driving with a suspended license.

2019 - Arrested after driving down a one way street and then arguing with police and trying to intimidate them.

2019 - Another DUI charge (later found not guilty).

2021 - DUI.

FFS.

I know that kind of thing is treated a little more leniently in the US than over here, but surely repeated cases of it need to be treated a bit more seriously.  He either needs some serious rehab, or let go.  Or I suppose both, as WWE, for all its faults, does seem to want to make sure these people get better, even if they do punt them too.  He's clearly got some issues.

4 hours ago, forameus said:

I know that kind of thing is treated a little more leniently in the US than over here, but surely repeated cases of it need to be treated a bit more seriously.  He either needs some serious rehab, or let go.  Or I suppose both, as WWE, for all its faults, does seem to want to make sure these people get better, even if they do punt them too.  He's clearly got some issues.

I think you're bang on here. WWE sponsored rehab and then the dole queue seems likely. Clearly his own worst enemy and needs some help.

Straight Edge Superstar Strikes Again.

That'll be him back into UFC now, closely followed by him curling back up into a ball and getting his head kicked clean into next week. Fair play to him for giving it a go, he likely lasted infinitely longer than I would, but f**k sake man, away home to AJ and enjoy your life.