The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

It feels weird watching those characters in comparison to modern day ‘crossovers’. I was watching some old Giant Bomb clips and the Waypoint people and some VA turn up with Austin Creed and he really is just a normal dude albeit very smart, charismatic and naturally funny.

Managed to get my Mrs into wrestling and she’s enjoying watching the weeklies etc. Introduced her to the royal rumble and she loves it... just wondered if there’s any suggestions for the best rumbles to watch? Currently watching the 2008 one as I remember enjoying that when I was younger! 

I get that it's barely relevant here now, but Batista is in Knives Out 2 and this makes me extremely happy.

That’s class. Love seeing the big man in movies. Hope they learn from Bladerunner 2049 and give him tiny glasses.

Also pretty unrelated to wrestling but Sami is the absolute boy.

Guest bernardblack
On 08/05/2021 at 02:36, TheGoon said:

Mel Pillman is awful, but my god the interview with her after Brian’s death, and Vince’s questions. Horrible watch. 

I’ve just caught up on this and it’s horrible. Vince keeps surprising me with how much of a c**t he can be and how he would do anything for ratings. 

Well whaddayaknow, it's another ruddy PPV for WWE on Sunday.  And it's...meh.  As expected.

Some decent looking matches, but nothing that really jumps out as being must see.  Doesn't look any chance of a title change unless they do something mental. No interesting stipulations.  Suspect we'll get another 6 out of 10 show

No. Matches* Stipulations
1 Bobby Lashley (c) (with MVP) vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Braun Strowman Triple threat match for the WWE Championship[28]
2 Bianca Belair (c) vs. Bayley Singles match for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship[29]
3 Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Asuka vs. Charlotte Flair Triple threat match for the WWE Raw Women's Championship[30]
4 The Dirty Dawgs (Dolph Ziggler and Robert Roode) (c) vs. Rey Mysterio and Dominik Mysterio Tag team match for the WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship[31]
5 Roman Reigns (c) (with Paul Heyman) vs. Cesaro Singles match for the WWE Universal Championship[32]
6 Damian Priest vs. The Miz Lumberjack match[33]

The only title change I can see there is the Mysterios winning the Smackdown Tag Titles from Ziggler & Roode.

Should be too early for either Belair or Ripley to lose their titles unless WWE indulge their Charlotte fetish to screw Rhea over again.

Don't see Lashley or Roman losing.
No Raw Tag Titles or US Title or Intercontinental Title matches scheduled so far.

Smackdown will probably set up an Intercontinental title match between Crews & someone else.
Maybe even a Fatal 4-way with Big E, Owens & Zayn - could see Crews losing TBH.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BOGMzNzhkZjAtNDJkYi00MTAzLTk4MDQtZGIyODI5MTNiNDYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODAxMDQ0NTU@._V1_.jpg

You might be thinking two things right now based on that poster.

1) How have I never heard of this movie before now?

2) Who they hell is Luther Biggs?

I can only answer one of those

Despite using the 90s WCW era photos it's only coming out this year.

https://www.thereplaceablesmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/IMG_2146.jpg

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Just been reading that Bray Wyatt’s lack of involvement before and since Wrestlemania, (including a rumoured change of outcome to his match with Orton) is that he’s struggling with his mental health and asked for further time off. Meant to have been really struggling to come to terms with the loss of Harper/Huber, and apparently Huber’s impending fate was known by close friends a couple of weeks in advance.

10 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Just been reading that Bray Wyatt’s lack of involvement before and since Wrestlemania, (including a rumoured change of outcome to his match with Orton) is that he’s struggling with his mental health and asked for further time off. Meant to have been really struggling to come to terms with the loss of Harper/Huber, and apparently Huber’s impending fate was known by close friends a couple of weeks in advance.

Going by his post he put out after his death, I can see that being true.  Only bit that seems a bit odd is why it would have changed the outcome of the match with Orton.  I doubt he was going to be around that much if he won anyway. 

Aye seen him trending on Twitter this morning.

He’s 33, just a young man. I think people forget how young a lot of TV stars are.

On 10/05/2021 at 22:57, Killiesquirrel said:

Managed to get my Mrs into wrestling and she’s enjoying watching the weeklies etc. Introduced her to the royal rumble and she loves it... just wondered if there’s any suggestions for the best rumbles to watch? Currently watching the 2008 one as I remember enjoying that when I was younger! 

Agree with the 2001, 2010 and 1992 shouts. 2000 and 2020 are great as well. 2005 (?) might be worth it just for the hilarity of Vince tearing both quads at the end of the match. 

Agree with the 2001, 2010 and 1992 shouts. 2000 and 2020 are great as well. 2005 (?) might be worth it just for the hilarity of Vince tearing both quads at the end of the match. 
1992 is the best ever, but could be harder to introduce a new fan to it as they could see it as being rather dated.

2000 wasn't much cop at all IMO. 1998 and 2011 would be better choices.

2000 seemed to try and match the chaos of 1998 which, while not a classic by any means, has all sorts of wild moments and characters involved, so is probably worth a look. Especially given it's the one that falls into a really important time in the shift from WCW to WWE.

The best one I can remember would be 2020's.  Thought that was absolutely masterfully booked with the early Brock section and then the rest.

31 minutes ago, Markka said:

1992 is the best ever, but could be harder to introduce a new fan to it as they could see it as being rather dated.

Definitely.  I've always heard 1992 was the best, but being a fan that fell away around WM17, and only came back just after WM29, 92 just felt really, really slow in isolation.  It's not bad by any means, but I'm such a basic bitch wrestling wise that it didn't really have the same impact it should have.

EDIT: I'd also nominate the one before WM31, but for the complete opposite reasons.  It's so hilariously misguided and misbooked that it really is something to behold.

Edited by forameus