The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

But John Cena's deid isn't he? f**k sake kayfabe.

Bold decision...saw that there were crowds at some of the NFL Playoff matches, so surely they're aiming for some here? Guess anything could happen between now and then, but the authorities in the US certainly don't seem as reticent as they might over here. Actually just noticed the superbowl will be there in February, so there's yer preview. 

To be honest, if they can manage to nail down two good, shorter nights of Wrestlemania in front of a crowd for the first time in a year, and dont completely shit the bed, it could be brilliant.

24 minutes ago, forameus said:

Guaranteed to be some kind of record they pulled from somewhere anyway.

Going to be weird to see it in front of crowds again. It's already weird enough looking back to seeing shows like that.

It's mad seeing clips of last year's Rumble, especially Edge's entrance. It feels like it was a thousand years ago.

18 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Taker’s stuff about video games and guys not carrying weapons in locker rooms is such old man yells at cloud patter even Bret Hart has hit a riddy. 

Whit?

He's not wrong. Wrestling is more carnival stunts now. Wrestlers caring about their looks and playing video games in the dressing room opposed to caring about their stature in the business is exactly one of the reasons wrestling is on it's knees in terms of viewership.

I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with the looks of pretty much anyone. Kevin Owens is the only one I can think of who looks out of shape, and even then, he's clearly fit as f**k. These are guys who clearly put a fuckload of time into their look and their fitness. Everything from WWE to NXT to NXTUK has guys who look pretty much as good as they're going to look. If WWE want something different in that sense, they'll need to sign other people.

If you think gaming will change that, I've got some magic beans to sell you.

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Whit?

He's not wrong. Wrestling is more carnival stunts now. Wrestlers caring about their looks and playing video games in the dressing room opposed to caring about their stature in the business is exactly one of the reasons wrestling is on it's knees in terms of viewership.

But it isn't one or the other. You can care about your looks (which has always been a huge and very important part of wrestling) and play video games and care about your stature in the business. Indeed, there's quite a few who combine the two, i.e. use their gaming stuff to raise their wrestling profile (and vice versa).

Playing video games in the locker room has nothing to do with the state of the business, absolutely nothing.

Taker and his pals used to play dominoes all the time (or 'bones' as they called it). What's the difference between that and video games? 

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But it isn't one or the other. You can care about your looks (which has always been a huge and very important part of wrestling) and play video games and care about your stature in the business. Indeed, there's quite a few who combine the two, i.e. use their gaming stuff to raise their wrestling profile (and vice versa).

Playing video games in the locker room has nothing to do with the state of the business, absolutely nothing.

Taker and his pals used to play dominoes all the time (or 'bones' as they called it). What's the difference between that and video games? 

I think he means it as a larger point. No longer are guys guarded and concerned about their spot on the show and constantly aiming to be the best. His point was that the locker room has gone 'soft' and that has an impact on the show.

And he's absolutely right in that regard. He's not the first nor will he be the last to comment that there's no edge in wrestling now and he believes that chilled out atmosphere is responsible. Jim Ross commented the other week that a lot of young wrestlers don't listen to advice now a days and just go along with what the Internet thinks is the hot thing to do right now - I think that's the essence of the point Taker was trying to make rather than just playing games are bad.

How has the locker room gone 'soft'?

We frequently hear from folk no longer at WWE that they were constantly pitching new angles, new characters and loads of things to try and climb the card. It's all ignored usually, so what else can they do but leave or accept it?

Some guys not listening to advice seems like something that has always happened. I think, whilst there is some truth to it, there is also a large bit of older guys not liking that things have changed since they were a young wrestler and don't like it.

I bet the generation before Taker started were saying similar things about Taker and his generation.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

How has the locker room gone 'soft'?

We frequently hear from folk no longer at WWE that they were constantly pitching new angles, new characters and loads of things to try and climb the card. It's all ignored usually, so what else can they do but leave or accept it?

Some guys not listening to advice seems like something that has always happened. I think, whilst there is some truth to it, there is also a large bit of older guys not liking that things have changed since they were a young wrestler and don't like it.

I bet the generation before Taker started were saying similar things about Taker and his generation.

Precisely for the reasons Taker mentioned. They care less about their character than they do their image. Many wrestlers prefer to put on a choreographed performance than an actual wrestling match. Whilst these stunts are visually impressive on initial showing, they quickly grow stale and lose impact. How many true global stars are there right now that aren't over the age of 50? Roman Reigns, maybe? Wrestling is currently much more a niche product than it was even a decade ago. WWE aim to please kids and AEW aim to please the internet.

A lot of that is on WWE, undoubtedly, and they get rightly ridiculed for that, but how many of those complaining have actually done something (By that, I mean became stars rather than mid-card fodder) with their career since? Dean Ambrose & Cody Rhodes are the two main examples off the top of my head, but the list isn't exactly massive and the people usually complaining are people that got a push and failed to deliver such as Ryback, Alberto Del Rio, Enzo Amore being a few names I can think of.

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Whit?

That and the fact that the last megastar retired in 2014 and tried be be an MMA fighter.  I stopped watching wrestling about 2 weeks after he retired.  

Guest bernardblack

I’d rather the locker room was filled with the team playing video games, than JBL bullying everyone and Taker leading everyone to bully lads like Mohammad Hussan.

Taker carries a gun ffs [emoji23]